Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 12:06 PM

15 posts, read 16,901 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

We have been in the market to purchase a home in Essex and Middlesex areas for the last few months(500-600K range). The inventory has been low (& we started getting picky). We were hoping the spring market will increase our options. The last few weeks have taken a quick turn with increase in COVID 19 cases. For the first time in several weeks we did not go to any open houses the past weekend (I am surprised they are still hosting open houses). Adding to this is all the evidence of a recession coming up. Both mine and my husband's jobs are fairly stable (or we would like to think so). We were planning to buy well within our comfort level and do have reserve. The interest rates are still low but that might not be the case in the coming months, right?

Experts here or other potential home buyers here: How has the recent situation impacted your home buying decision? Would you move forward or put things on hold? What are things that could go wrong if we buy now and a recession hits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 12:24 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,183 times
I'm in the same boat, same price range same situation. No plans to change course, recession doesn't necessarily mean housing will drop but it is definitely more of a gamble than when I posted the 2020 Real Estate Observations thread.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:40 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,360 times
Similar boat, but different price range and location. We're not going to stop looking at buying another home because of this, but I am a little concerned this is going to make things like open houses a lot more interesting for the next few months.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:44 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,908,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi.me View Post
Hello All,

We have been in the market to purchase a home in Essex and Middlesex areas for the last few months(500-600K range). The inventory has been low (& we started getting picky). We were hoping the spring market will increase our options. The last few weeks have taken a quick turn with increase in COVID 19 cases. For the first time in several weeks we did not go to any open houses the past weekend (I am surprised they are still hosting open houses). Adding to this is all the evidence of a recession coming up. Both mine and my husband's jobs are fairly stable (or we would like to think so). We were planning to buy well within our comfort level and do have reserve. The interest rates are still low but that might not be the case in the coming months, right?

Experts here or other potential home buyers here: How has the recent situation impacted your home buying decision? Would you move forward or put things on hold? What are things that could go wrong if we buy now and a recession hits?
At your desired price range, and with mortgage rates where they sit, I wouldn't worry about purchasing now. Get that rate locked via your lender of choice and find the right house.

We are in/heading towards a recession, and I do expect the housing market to take a slight hit, but you won't feel the same "pain" as those who purchased the $800k-$1M+ homes over the last few years. $500-$600 will be entry level in many of the communities in both Essex and Middlesex.

Nobody knows when the housing market and values will truly dip. Could be in four months, could be in eighteen months. If you plan on staying in that house for 5 years, I wouldn't think twice.

EDIT: I would think, despite a dip in demand/prices looming, that the trends will continue. That is, a reasonable house in close/walking proximity to a town center/core and public transportation. The appetite for that house will only continue, so if you are weary, maybe make that a priority more now?

Old 03-17-2020, 12:49 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,120 times
We have an offer accepted on a house. We need to get our house on the market now and sell it. We are in the city of Boston. Our agent thinks she’ll have our house sold quickly but we’ll see...

Old 03-17-2020, 01:52 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,805,758 times
The rates are fine I see no reason to really worry about race at this time. But I wouldn't be in the market of really buying a house in or around the Boston area for at least 6 months. The reason I say this is that you need to see if the students are actually trying to come back. The evacuation of Academia is significant and without that aggregate demand for additional rent it's going to be harder to justify housing prices.

Remember students were not kick out of the school they're only kicked out of the school campus. It's a hard argument that they're going to move out move back in in May and then move back out again in July and then back in again in September. This all cost a significant amount of money. as I mentioned earlier student visas are not work visas and if they leave there are visas that frankly are going to expire in 6 months so the timing couldn't be any worse.

now if you're already an owner I think this would be a great time to start to think about home improvements. With all the contractors in Boston looking for work, low interest rates, low gas prices and green tax credits this is the time to think about updates and upgrades. Boilers, windows, weather stripping, solar etc

Old 03-17-2020, 01:57 PM

880 posts, read 818,422 times
From last recession i believe home prices didnt show noticeable declines until many several months (12 months?)

Same should be here, sellers will not be forcrd until mortgage payments are at risk. In good school districts, selling and forcing kids to another location is usual an absolute last resort (renting would not likely to be cheaper than mortgage unless you only purchased in the past 4 years)

Old 03-17-2020, 02:00 PM

880 posts, read 818,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

now if you're already an owner I think this would be a great time to start to think about home improvements. With all the contractors in Boston looking for work, low interest rates, low gas prices and green tax credits this is the time to think about updates and upgrades. Boilers, windows, weather stripping, solar etc
Was thinking the same thing but it negates the "shelter in place" as now you have absolute strangers into your home. May look at landscape projects and rent a porta potty for them

Old 03-17-2020, 04:29 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,728,576 times
We considered removing trees, solar, and landscaping last year but it was so expensive. If prices come down significantly then we'll certainly do it.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:11 PM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi.me View Post
Hello All,

We are already in a recession. Good time to invest in securities rather than spending on a large downpayment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts