Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 12:26 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,120 times

Advertisements

Agree a job where you are completely remote isn’t ideal. There always will be people who will just be more connected by being onsite.

My daughter had a drs appt through zoom. It was interesting, had to do with an eye issue where her pressure needs to be checked every year. So obviously that couldn’t be done but the dr could at least see through the video that her eye looks ok visually, she also instructed her to cover her eye and look at me etc. again it was better than nothing but certainly didn’t take the place of an actual eye exam. We will have to wait a few more months for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 12:33 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,205 times
To clarify my earlier post, the known-unknown right now is whether this health/financial crisis is a V-shaped or U-shaped recovery. I don't see home prices softening significantly unless it's the latter.

Our economy currently has a suppressed demand issue, not a diminished demand issue (i.e., a typical recession). If we can flatten the curve and quickly return to some normalcy, demand and equities should climb rapidly and home prices should remain stable. If this drags on, demand will diminish as layoffs happen en masse. In this scenario, home prices will certainly drop as will be in a proper sustained recession.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:52 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
I had hoped to be a first-time buyer by the time I have to renew my lease next year. My job is more secure than most, but a lot will depend on what happens in the fall and if I'm able to expand my emergency savings from 7-8 months to a year.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:18 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,281,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
This has really helped eliminate useless meetings.

Right now, we have one team meeting at 8AM from our home offices. After that, we work on assignments, or drive into the office/lab and work on our projects. The days of 4 or 5 useless meetings a day have dried up. Productivity is up. Even my VP was commenting on how well the team was working together under these circumstances.

I've also come to realize I need a better home office setup, and an additional room. Things to keep in mind if I do decide to purchase a new home in the near future. (i'm not right now)
Not for me. I have more meetings than ever, and that's saying something. I'm on meeting #10 today and Fridays are supposed to be "No Meeting Friday".

Old 04-03-2020, 03:45 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
I can't tell what's worse - the meetings that could have been emails all along or the emails that could have been meetings all along.

At least when I'm stuck in Zoom meetings, I can answer all those emails.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:22 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,776,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
To clarify my earlier post, the known-unknown right now is whether this health/financial crisis is a V-shaped or U-shaped recovery. I don't see home prices softening significantly unless it's the latter.

Our economy currently has a suppressed demand issue, not a diminished demand issue (i.e., a typical recession). If we can flatten the curve and quickly return to some normalcy, demand and equities should climb rapidly and home prices should remain stable. If this drags on, demand will diminish as layoffs happen en masse. In this scenario, home prices will certainly drop as will be in a proper sustained recession.
V shaped isn't happening. The economy was already headed for a recession even before this. There's already talk of the mortgage servicing industry collapsing, so it may not be too long before it is either really difficult or impossible to get a loan. What I am watching is to see if Baker extends the quarantine past May 4th.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:02 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
V shaped isn't happening. The economy was already headed for a recession even before this. There's already talk of the mortgage servicing industry collapsing, so it may not be too long before it is either really difficult or impossible to get a loan. What I am watching is to see if Baker extends the quarantine past May 4th.

Thunderdome where everything is shut down is probably V shaped. It will probably take several years to get consumer confidence back to the point where things get to 2016 levels. Hopefully, leadership at that point won't juice the economy again once it's healthy. We saw that with Dubya and again with Trump. It makes one helluva big thud.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:49 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Yes, I agree that this seems to be the more likely outcome. I was simply outlining the two possible thesis one could have as a buyer right now.

March housing numbers were already bleeding after a strong start. Mortgage applications down 25%, listings down 36% nationally. I expect April and June numbers to be dismal. IMO, some estate sales listed in the last week have been priced very fairly (compared to last month) so I believe sentiment is already causing some softening on the non-turn key properties. Doubtful the low pricing will draw out multiple bids right now.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:20 AM

17,668 posts, read 9,148,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
So I don't think that the need for a commute is going to disappear, even if there is a simultaneous acceptance that working from home is viable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'm with you guys. I just don't think all of a sudden that all jobs will become work from home and no one will have to worry about commuting anymore.
I agree. But the where and how may change. If the need for social distancing remains (and that possibility does exist), the jobs won't be in cities and public transportation will be dead.

I think some segments of the real estate market present a huge risk right now. Specifically, anything that currently has a massive premium attached to it due to proximity to Boston. The downside potential is enormous, and the upside potential is virtually nonexistent.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:03 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,120 times
All I know is my boss values face to face time and he was someone who always came into the office. He’s also a germaphobe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts