Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 PM

10 posts, read 28,566 times

Advertisements

My (gay) partner and I will be relocating from California next year, and are considering the Northampton/Amherst area as a possible place to live. We will be passing through the area in late May and will be able to stop in the area for about a day to gather some initial impressions. We realize that this isn't nearly enough time to get a real understanding of a new place, but it will help us to narrow our choices.

We are hoping to get help with two questions:

1. We are hoping to experience the true spirit of the city. Are there any “can't miss” places in the Northampton/Amherst area we should put on our itinerary?

2. We'll also be scouting out possible places to live if we do move there. Our dream neighborhood is safe, has leafy streets with charming/nicer older homes, and tolerant, friendly neighbors. We would be grateful for any suggestions you'd care to share.

Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards,

Stu from California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 04:46 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Stu

I live east of Hartford CT-17 miles- about 45 miles or some from Northampton and the 'Pioneer Valley'. The city of 29,000 has always been one of my favorite places to visit and live. The Main street alone is a treasure, with non- chain coffee shops, restaurants (many excellent ethnic) Bookstores, art shops, unique clothing boutiques, side walk cafes, etc. and more. Many historic buildings and churches. The iconic Forbes Library is wonderful. Smith College epitomizes the New England Ivy covered Institution.

Not sure of the gay clubs now- I know several years ago I had a great time at a local club with bluegrass and folk. We stopped for drinks at the historic Northampton Hotel, then went to an Indian restaurant for dinner.

Lots of nice neighborhoods to live, no cookie cutter subdivisions here, with housing prices that are very low compared to California. If you have time in the New England area, visit Providence, Rhode Island, the best gay 'large city' in New England. The city has an openly gay mayor; Also drive north from Northampton to Brattleboro in southern Vermont- another really cool tolerant place.

Last edited by skytrekker; 04-25-2008 at 04:55 AM..

Old 04-25-2008, 07:15 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Love this area - I went to college there and it's just wonderful.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:21 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Your ages, and current living situation, make a difference. The "true spirit" of Northampton is that of college students trying to be hip, career academic types and other adults trying to stay young, lots n' lots o' Lesbians, and townies who for the most part have grown resigned to the atmosphere if they weren't OK with it for starters. It's a small town struggling mightily to project a sophisticated big-city vibe with its book stores, independent coffee shops, "ethnic" restaurants, clothing boutiques, etc. "Noho" is heaven on earth if you're aged 17-28 (or can successfully look the part) and had lived a sheltered life before reaching the Valley. It also has a music scene way out of proportion to its head count - a great place for catching your favorite "indie," jazz, or folk/bluegrass artists who'll never fill an arena and couldn't care less.

Although, thanks in no small part to two all-women colleges in the vicinity, bi and Lesbian females flock to Northampton and are part of a diverse and thriving community, the scene for us GM's is far less exciting. The three principal demographic segments are: College "bois" from UMass who snub anyone over 23, homebody couples (of which there aren't all that many), and closet cases of all ages who pass most of their free time in Springfield bars. Friendships are easily struck up, at least with hetero neighbors and colleagues, because Noho *is* a small town at heart and in reality - and it's more tolerant/accepting than many places as well.

If you're accustomed to city living and are between 30 and about 45, you'd probably be happier elsewhere.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:32 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
goyguy said it all. That's what Northampton has become. Most of us who grew up there moved away once we were over 30 because you just feel....old. (Plus there are no jobs.)

However, if you like rural life and want to do farming or just be rural, there are some great small towns out in WMAss, not that near to Northampton. If you like a city, I guess something out in EMass like Cambridge would be better.

I don't know much about the gay scene but I have known gay men who lived in or around Amherst. There's a LOT of tolerance that you won't find elsewhere so that's to the good. I guess you have to be an artist or a writer to live around there and have any money though.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:00 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I almost forgot -- places to visit if you do go to the area --in Amherst, eat at Judie's restaurant on the main st (N. Pleasant ST.)

Check out surrounding towns like Shutesbury and Pelham. nice and leafy. LOL

Museums at places like Amherst College. Forget anything AT ALL to do with Zoo Mass though.

Visit Historic Deerfield to the north, up rte 5/10, if you're interested in history, antiques, olde houses and just plain beautiful places. For the best view of the Valley go up to Skinner Park on top of Mt Holyoke (down rte 47) or go out of N'hampton on rte 5/10 to that restaurant that keeps changing its name -- called Harvest now? Good food and spectacular views and you can sit outside. Used to be called The Log Cabin.

Go to Thorne's on Main St Northampton (you really can't miss it) and go in and look around, check out their posters of local happenings, buy an ice cream or a coffee and sit on a bench and people watch. People watching is a common passtime in Hamp.

Rent a bike and ride the bikepath.

Stroll through Child's Park across from the hospital -- it is gorgeous at this time of the year and is still FREE!!!!!

You will probably see that if you are not a student or a professor or maybe an artist or a writer, you do not belong there. Also if you are not a rich New Yorker who thinks Northhampton is "in the country", if you are over 30, you do not belong here. A fun place to visit but it's hard to call it home.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:22 PM

17 posts, read 81,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubarr View Post
My (gay) partner and I will be relocating from California next year, and are considering the Northampton/Amherst area as a possible place to live. We will be passing through the area in late May and will be able to stop in the area for about a day to gather some initial impressions. We realize that this isn't nearly enough time to get a real understanding of a new place, but it will help us to narrow our choices.

We are hoping to get help with two questions:

1. We are hoping to experience the true spirit of the city. Are there any “can't miss” places in the Northampton/Amherst area we should put on our itinerary?

2. We'll also be scouting out possible places to live if we do move there. Our dream neighborhood is safe, has leafy streets with charming/nicer older homes, and tolerant, friendly neighbors. We would be grateful for any suggestions you'd care to share.

Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards,

Stu from California
Northhampton is known for a being a very "gay-rich" community, and it is generally an attractive community. I think your chances of tolerant neighbors there may be pretty high.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:24 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,374 times
It's important to remember to spell it correctly ("Northampton," with ONE H); your opinions might be taken as not fully informed if you don't know how to spell it. Just sayin'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts