Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 11:23 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
But to go to the MA forum and start a thread about how MA sucks, and MD is better, well, what kind of response do you expect?

Super common on this forum. Half the posters in the RI forum never lived there at all, they just go to talk uninformed trash. Not much can be done about it. I don't understand that mentality whatsover... it really comes across as mental illness. I hated living in Kentucky and Indiana. Nothing nice to say about either. But it makes zero sense to go to those forums and talk trash about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 12:34 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times
Quote:
It would be different if someone asked a question, saying "What's your favorite state?" or "What state has disappointed you most?" or "How do you think Massachusetts compares to Maryland?" Then, there would be no real reason to disparage OP's opinion. Everyone would just give their thoughts in response to the question. But to go to the MA forum and start a thread about how MA sucks, and MD is better, well, what kind of response do you expect?
I wasn’t agreeing with it, but this isn’t new. About all I got out of it was that she expected more. Not unique if you went to any other city and your expectations are based on stereotypes and not reality. It didn’t come across the same as some older threads comparing Boston to Atlanta or Miami. It could have been much worse.

Old 04-20-2020, 04:50 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I was born and brought up in Boston. I left in my late 20's to move on to NY, CA, OH, Chicago, then back to MA and then on to SC. I retired to SC for two reasons. Primary reason being the weather and the secondary reason being the cost of living. If I could shake up all the places, I would return to Chicago (Boston a close second) if it had SC weather and cost of living.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:36 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I like that house, but I find decorative shutters that don't even pretend to look like they would fit over the windows to be infuriating.
Yeah, the suburbs my parents are from in MD has a ton of mock colonial style homes with fake shutters, but they are the proper size.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
It would be different if someone asked a question, saying "What's your favorite state?" or "What state has disappointed you most?" or "How do you think Massachusetts compares to Maryland?" Then, there would be no real reason to disparage OP's opinion. Everyone would just give their thoughts in response to the question. But to go to the MA forum and start a thread about how MA sucks, and MD is better, well, what kind of response do you expect?
I don't think MA sucks, but gives its fame compared to other small east coast states, it doesn't live up to its marketing.

I was surprised by how much the state was like MD, with slightly lower quality conveniences. I thought it would be more unique.

That being said Salem was cool.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:27 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,261,432 times
I think you, OP, didn't see enough of MA to make such a judgment. Salem isn't the only cool place. To really judge a state (or an area, or a country) one needs to see a significant chunk of it, over some time.

Old 04-21-2020, 05:39 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,700,598 times
I definitely see the OP's point. The MA most actually live in is a huge contrast from what's in the post cards, but I think that's true with most states.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:04 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I was born and brought up in Boston. I left in my late 20's to move on to NY, CA, OH, Chicago, then back to MA and then on to SC. I retired to SC for two reasons. Primary reason being the weather and the secondary reason being the cost of living. If I could shake up all the places, I would return to Chicago (Boston a close second) if it had SC weather and cost of living.
Chicago is one of those places that I would love to live in, having lived in Madison, WI, and visited very frequently. I really feel at home there--who knows, it might be a retirement destination...

Old 04-21-2020, 09:37 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
One of my favorite towns I’ve lived in was Berlin MD. It felt more like New England than most of Massachusetts. And it was a quick hop over to OCMD.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
One of my favorite towns I’ve lived in was Berlin MD. It felt more like New England than most of Massachusetts. And it was a quick hop over to OCMD.
Yes, Berlin is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts