Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 04:23 PM

822 posts, read 858,405 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have a question about unemployment for teachers during Covid. I am a teacher in MA, and due to the pandemic, there was no Summer school (which I work every Summer). I applied for unemployment, and my determination came back "ineligible, not denied" because of a "contract of reasonable assurance". I appealed, but was wondering if any other teachers that had this issue. Some of my coworkers got approved. thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 10:23 AM

Any teachers out there?

Old 07-19-2020, 03:53 PM

448 posts, read 282,523 times
I wonder if you would qualify for pandemic unemployment since the school was closed for the summer.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:18 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
I wonder if you would qualify for pandemic unemployment since the school was closed for the summer.
I think what OP is talking about is Summer School gigs.

If OP is employed full time by a school, I would have to think they would still be considered employed even though they don't technically work in July and August.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I think what OP is talking about is Summer School gigs.

If OP is employed full time by a school, I would have to think they would still be considered employed even though they don't technically work in July and August.

well, I'm contracted from Sept to June. my contract ended June 30th. Summer school is a seperate contract. the reason I was denied ... well, they said "ineligible, not denied" ... was because I have a contract in Sept. they claimed "reasonable assurance" as the reason. but I wasn't offered any Summer work because of Covid. I appealed, and if denied again I guess I'll apply for pandemic reief. was curious if any other reachers went through this

Old 07-19-2020, 05:36 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
well, I'm contracted from Sept to June. my contract ended June 30th. Summer school is a seperate contract. the reason I was denied ... well, they said "ineligible, not denied" ... was because I have a contract in Sept. they claimed "reasonable assurance" as the reason. but I wasn't offered any Summer work because of Covid. I appealed, and if denied again I guess I'll apply for pandemic reief. was curious if any other reachers went through this
It sounds to me that they consider you an employee of the school and not unemployed. Are you still getting benefits from the school?

You could try PUA, but I dunno. Not sure how much longer it has though.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
It sounds to me that they consider you an employee of the school and not unemployed. Are you still getting benefits from the school?

You could try PUA, but I dunno. Not sure how much longer it has though.
no benefts, no pay in Summer unless I'm working

Old 07-19-2020, 08:05 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
You lose your insurance over the summer? Where do you teach?

Old 07-20-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
You lose your insurance over the summer? Where do you teach?
we still have insurance, but the Summer months are paid for durring the school year. I work for a not-for-profit collaborative. not a school district.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:28 AM

307 posts, read 164,493 times
It sounds like seasonal work that you get hired for every summer. If that is the case, then you technically didn't lose employment since the job didn't exist in the first place this summer. They could argue that you could have looked for other seasonal employment. If it isn't part of your regular job or contract then I don't see how it is a job or income loss.

When I was in college, I had a seasonal summer job that I did year every year. It had a start and end date every year even though I usually just called up and told them when I was available and was rehired every year without actually formally reapplying or anything even though my phone was basically my "application." After graduating, I had a full time job and would no longer be doing seasonal work. I didn't have to quit that seasonal job or anything, I just didn't reapply/get rehired because, as I said, the job was seasonal with beginning and end dates. There was no guarantee that job would exist every summer season, I was just lucky that it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts