Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,144 times

Advertisements

I’m getting divorced, and looking to move to the towns close to the NH border that have the best school districts (Andover/North Andover, Georgetown and Topsfield/Boxford/Middletown). I work full time in Cambridge.
If you were a single parent, which town would you pick? My kids are entering K and 5th grade in the fall. I’m looking for a town that is welcoming to caring parents who also happen to be professionals. I currently live in an area where all the mom groups meet only during regular working hours, and I had trouble meeting other parents. I’m looking at convenience, reliability of before and after school programs, and non-snobby community that won't look down on me if I bring store-bought food to an event :-)
TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 09:22 PM

604 posts, read 561,717 times
Andover has a snobby reputation.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:00 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Andover has a snobby reputation.
That is said about every comparatively high median household income town or section of a town by people who can’t afford to live there.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:07 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times
Are you planning on driving to Cambridge during rush hour? If so good luck with any of those towns (though Andover is the most convenient of the ones mentioned).

Old 05-13-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Are you planning on driving to Cambridge during rush hour? If so good luck with any of those towns (though Andover is the most convenient of the ones mentioned).
Yes, I'll commute some 4 days a day, even though my schedule is somewhat flexible, which is why I need after-school care. I might drive some days and take public transport on others. I need to stay close to NH where the co-parent lives.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That is said about every comparatively high median household income town or section of a town by people who can’t afford to live there.
So I'm OK with snobs, I guess. I just don't want the mommy snobs who think cooking everything from organics scratch an who drive their kids to 7 different activities a week is the only way to be a parent.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:35 AM

604 posts, read 561,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaia View Post
So I'm OK with snobs, I guess. I just don't want the mommy snobs who think cooking everything from organics scratch an who drive their kids to 7 different activities a week is the only way to be a parent.
Well, that's Andover snobs. I should have mentioned I did live there for a while and witnessed this. (This was a while back, I defer to others with firsthand experience if this has changed) North Andover is definitely more down to earth. And you can always drive over to Andover Center etc pretty quickly from there. Good value play.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:59 AM

550 posts, read 680,563 times
Masco school district ranks higher than the other towns mentioned. I line in North Andover and have been here for 10 years. Love the town and I currently have a 5th grader. You can definitely join the Newcomers & Neighbors of the Andovers group for monthly meet ups.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:01 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Well said.

A former Andoverite

Old 05-14-2020, 05:42 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,428,446 times
Lynnfield schools rate higher than all those towns and is a better commute to Cambridge. Still less than 30 minutes to the NH border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts