Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 09:35 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
I'm surprised people keep mentioning Lowell. I would think comparable towns would be Lancaster, Sterling, Pepperell, Townsend, Lunenburg, Shirley, Westminster.
Connected to Fitchburg? I don't think so. I commute to Fitchburg and it's a lonely drive. Only one other employee at my 500+ employee workplace comes from Ayer.
I can't speak to the social life- but jobs: yes, careers: no. Pre-covid there were tons of picker/packer warehouse and medical assembly jobs. Not much for career paths.
I am also happy with the schools so far.
It's because OP isn't concerned about school ratings and wants easy access to Lowell/Boston. Having lived in both Ayer and Lowell, I would certainly prefer the Belvidere neighbor in Lowell over Ayer if my concerns were COL, immediate quality of life, and access to job markets/social scene (pre-covid). I really enjoyed my stint in the Belvidere section and never encounter any petty theft or spill from Lowell's more poverty stricken sections (e.g., the Acre).

Lancaster or Sterling are probably the best value if good school districts are a concern and reasonable eastern access is desired. Lunenburg should also be shortlisted over Shirley/Ayer. Westminster is nice, but now you're getting "out there".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 10:03 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
The areas around Westford Rd and the old Ford plant have many good jobs. Along with all that manufacturing and industry are countless maintenance and engineering jobs surprisingly enough. Sealed Air, the grain place, Catania oil, the power station and L3 have more than just a few $100k/yr trade workers, engineers, etc kicking around.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:27 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
I'm surprised people keep mentioning Lowell. I would think comparable towns would be Lancaster, Sterling, Pepperell, Townsend, Lunenburg, Shirley, Westminster.
Connected to Fitchburg? I don't think so. I commute to Fitchburg and it's a lonely drive. Only one other employee at my 500+ employee workplace comes from Ayer.
(Having lived in Littleton for 27 years until 2018) I'd say that Lowell is the closest urban experience for presentations or music or ethnic food or other entertainments. If I was going to date, I think I'd meet in Lowell for activity. I did meet friends in Lowell for classes or meals. I sure didn't expect a social life in Littleton (so many families and long-time inhabitants) and I imagine Ayer would have the same minimal offerings for social life.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:57 AM

432 posts, read 414,857 times
Quote:
It's because OP isn't concerned about school ratings and wants easy access to Lowell/Boston. Having lived in both Ayer and Lowell, I would certainly prefer the Belvidere neighbor in Lowell over Ayer if my concerns were COL, immediate quality of life...

Aha, as a child of 80's Nashua, Lowell just has a horrible reputation in my mind. It seemed to be where all of our crime originated. Would be an easy drive though.
Also, Ayer is a tenth the size of Lowell, just doesn't seem to match up.
Westminster to Lowell is only a couple of miles further than Sterling, but gains a train station. I do like Lunenburg, especially at the top of the hill. They have the nicest roads around, they have repaved the whole town.

Last edited by brk330; 05-28-2020 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: clarifying response

Old 05-28-2020, 01:13 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Aha, as a child of 80's Nashua, Lowell just has a horrible reputation in my mind. It seemed to be where all of our crime originated. Would be an easy drive though.
Also, Ayer is a tenth the size of Lowell, just doesn't seem to match up.
Westminster to Lowell is only a couple of miles further than Sterling, but gains a train station. I do like Lunenburg, especially at the top of the hill. They have the nicest roads around, they have repaved the whole town.
It's probably equal times from the eastern side of both towns to Lowell ... Sterling may even be a bit longer. I was speaking more to job market access. Sterling/Lancaster have much better access to Worcester and the 495 'boroughs markets.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 687 times
Just wanted to add that this week the Devens Grille has closed. Living in Groton, it was a reasonable place to dine and have drinks. Unfortunately I expect this will become more the norm post covid.

My husband did one of his first flips in Ayer 10 years ago. I think it was more of a challenge to fix up and make a small profit from one of the homes on Pearl Street. The new owners got a bargain.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:25 PM

164 posts, read 119,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babsd.groton View Post
Just wanted to add that this week the Devens Grille has closed. Living in Groton, it was a reasonable place to dine and have drinks. Unfortunately I expect this will become more the norm post covid.

My husband did one of his first flips in Ayer 10 years ago. I think it was more of a challenge to fix up and make a small profit from one of the homes on Pearl Street. The new owners got a bargain.
That's sad to hear. I always enjoyed the Devens Grille.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:22 AM

432 posts, read 414,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingCat View Post
That's sad to hear. I always enjoyed the Devens Grille.
A Mexican restaurant is moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts