Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 07:49 AM

279 posts, read 316,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Schools are “elite”; i.e., they’ve been a perennial top ten in the state for as long as I can remember. I don’t think anyone considers the town itself “elite”. That kind of label is reserved for towns like Weston or even Actin’s neighbor, Carlisle.
I'm curious what are concerned "Elite" towns? Is it just a list in order by median income, or something a bit more nuanced? For example; Natick is pretty expensive, but I don't know that it's considered "Elite". I've noticed a bit of a thing with natives of the Boston area, where they will often ask what town I live in, presumably to figure me out somehow. I've actually taken to saying different towns in order to gauge reactions.

Natick: "Oh, Natick's nice"
Framingham: "How do you like it?"
Wellesley: "Swellesley. Very nice town"
Sherborn: "I love Sherborn"
Chelsea: "Good restaurants right?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 07:05 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor0101 View Post
I'm curious what are concerned "Elite" towns? Is it just a list in order by median income, or something a bit more nuanced? For example; Natick is pretty expensive, but I don't know that it's considered "Elite". I've noticed a bit of a thing with natives of the Boston area, where they will often ask what town I live in, presumably to figure me out somehow. I've actually taken to saying different towns in order to gauge reactions.

For Acton I was using the term "elite" for strictly in regards to the school system. For at least two decades Acton-Box has been in the upper percentile of test scores, college placement, etc. Sure, some or most of this district's success is likely tied directly to the district's demographics, but despite those on this forum who beat the contrarian drum against this reality, most parents would prefer their child's peers to have present parents and high expectations. If one is of sober mind and accepts that their child is likely not exceptional, then providing a consistent elevated environment because the primary objective ... weighted and adjusted statistics need not apply.

As for my use of "elite" in general, my personal criteria would be towns which have top-tier schools (top ...20? in terms of testing and placement), very high median/per cap incomes, high COL (as a barrier to entry for middling peasants), and reasonably job market access to sustain future high income earners. An additional criteria might be that it is the first or only district choice for buyers - see comment below.

I wouldn't consider Natick to be elite, primarily because I'm convinced most who beat it's drum the loudest would actually prefer to live in Newton/Brookline ... could they afford to.

I should note that I don't have a particularly strong interest in maintaining my definition of "elite". I have neither the capital or desire to live in the towns I might call elite (e.g., Lexington, Weston). This said, my humble little Worcester county district, which I view as middle class, probably fills someone else's definition of "elite" ... it's all relative.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 08-10-2020 at 07:14 AM..

Old 08-10-2020, 09:26 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,637,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
So, is West Acton the "less desirable" part of town? It depends on what you personally desire. North Acton has the Rt 2A apartment complex / strip mall / car dealership activity and the joy that is the Concord rotary. South and East Acton have the remnants of late 19th century industry (old mill buildings and older, more tightly-spaced houses) and a Superfund site. And they all have nice houses in decent neighborhoods and top-notch schools.
I've understood East Acton to be Strawberry Hill Road, Pope Road and other elegant roads East of 2A and North of Route 2, leading into Concord Center. This is an established neighborhood of stone fences, horse farms with huge front yards setting homes far away from the street. I know the boundaries of what is East/West/North/South Acton has been debated for decades by Actonites and others forever, so no right or wrong opinions regarding.

I don't recall seeing any old mill buildings in any section of Acton. 19th century mills in Massachusetts were usually located near a river or waterway. Maynard center and West Concord center have many converted mills though.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:03 AM

962 posts, read 468,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I've understood East Acton to be Strawberry Hill Road, Pope Road and other elegant roads East of 2A and North of Route 2, leading into Concord Center. This is an established neighborhood of stone fences, horse farms with huge front yards setting homes far away from the street. I know the boundaries of what is East/West/North/South Acton has been debated for decades by Actonites and others forever, so no right or wrong opinions regarding.

I was thinking of East Acton as High St and School St. and adjacent neighborhoods, up to Rt 62 and into West Concord. I always thought of Strawberry Hill & Pope Roads and everything along 2A and north, over to the Carlisle line as North Acton, but as you say, there have never been any formal boundaries. And yes, elegant is the proper word for much of that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I don't recall seeing any old mill buildings in any section of Acton. 19th century mills in Massachusetts were usually located near a river or waterway. Maynard center and West Concord center have many converted mills though.

Erickson Grain Mill along Fort Pond Brook on High St. at the corner of Rt 27. Once an actual mill at that site. There was smaller former mill building by the old train station parking lot on School St. - Haven't been down that way for a while, so don't know if it's still there. Fort Pond Brook, which runs along the railroad tracks, is a fairly swift-moving stream and was even larger in the past. Pretty sure there were more up closer to West Concord.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:06 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,637,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
Erickson Grain Mill along Fort Pond Brook on High St. at the corner of Rt 27. Once an actual mill at that site. There was smaller former mill building by the old train station parking lot on School St. - Haven't been down that way for a while, so don't know if it's still there. Fort Pond Brook, which runs along the railroad tracks, is a fairly swift-moving stream and was even larger in the past. Pretty sure there were more up closer to West Concord.
Ah yes, that part of town around High Street is the South Acton Historic District. That Mill and other properties in various states of preservation date back to the Revolutionary War Period.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:52 AM

5,014 posts, read 3,908,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor0101 View Post

As 495 said, they meant "elite" in terms of school systems. Hard to dispute, AB district is a perennerial front runner right up there with a town like Lexington.

But as far as "elite towns" go, i'd reserve that title for the following:
-Manchester-by-the-Sea
-Winchester
-Lexington
-Concord
-Lincoln
-Belmont
-Weston
-Newton
-Wellesley
-Brookline
-Needham
-Sover
-Cohasset

Towns like Hingham, Carlisle, Marblehead, Boxford, Sherborn, Andover, Sudbury, Wayland are certainly upper-crust, but may not fall into the elite category.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:09 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
As 495 said, they meant "elite" in terms of school systems. Hard to dispute, AB district is a perennerial front runner right up there with a town like Lexington.

But as far as "elite towns" go, i'd reserve that title for the following:
-Manchester-by-the-Sea
-Winchester
-Lexington
-Concord
-Lincoln
-Belmont
-Weston
-Newton
-Wellesley
-Brookline
-Needham
-Sover
-Cohasset

Towns like Hingham, Carlisle, Marblehead, Boxford, Sherborn, Andover, Sudbury, Wayland are certainly upper-crust, but may not fall into the elite category.
I wouldn't even put Winchester, Belmont, Weston, Needham, Cohasset, and possibly Manchester on the list. If someone has their choice of any town to live in, most would walk right past these and go to a better option like Brookline or Newton. Dover is borderline; it has a high ranked school yes, but beyond that the town offers nothing unless you're a horse aficionado or a Pan-Mass cyclist.

I get the driving criteria in this little academic exercise is school, but school alone isn't enough when going against other towns with good schools, and the elite ones are going have that something extra. It also leaves me to think some elite areas are omitted because they don't have a high-ranked school. No serious discussion of elite areas would exclude Boston neighborhoods like Beacon Hill and Back Bay.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:12 AM

5,014 posts, read 3,908,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I wouldn't even put Winchester, Belmont, Weston, Needham, Cohasset, and possibly Manchester on the list. If someone has their choice of any town to live in, most would walk right past these and go to a better option like Brookline or Newton. Dover is borderline; it has a high ranked school yes, but beyond that the town offers nothing unless you're a horse aficionado or a Pan-Mass cyclist.

I get the driving criteria in this little academic exercise is school, but school alone isn't enough when going against other towns with good schools, and the elite ones are going have that something extra. It also leaves me to think some elite areas are omitted because they don't have a high-ranked school. No serious discussion of elite areas would exclude Boston neighborhoods like Beacon Hill and Back Bay.
I mean, it's a subjective conversation.

But if Weston is not considered elite, then I don't really know what is.

You seem to view elite by quality/quantity of offerings within the town and it's surroundings. For the sake of this conversation, I view elite as a combination of extreme level of affluence, lack of affordability for the masses, and %/levels of higher ed attainment.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:32 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,360 times
Quote:

You seem to view elite by quality/quantity of offerings within the town and it's surroundings. For the sake of this conversation, I view elite as a combination of extreme level of affluence, lack of affordability for the masses, and %/levels of higher ed attainment.
I'm also factoring schools. What I'm saying is school alone doesn't make a town among the most desirable by the extremely affluent nor does it mean high levels of higher ed attainment. Back Bay is 44% advanced degree holders and 80% bachelor degree holders, but schools aren't great. It's nearly impossible for the "masses" to afford unless they take on lots of roommates or live in a studio. The people who live there have among the highest household income in the state (and nation). Is it elite?

As for Weston...if you had a budget of $20 million, would you pick Wellesley or Weston? Lexington or Weston? Brookline or Weston? From where I sit, Weston's a consolation prize for people who can't get in a better town.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:17 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
Quote:

Weston is elite. Not having stores and restaurants is considered to be elite. The less attractions for outsiders, the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts