Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:27 PM

4 posts, read 31,608 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Winchester or Lexington, and one big consideration is the availability and quality of after school programs - our little one will be entering kindergarten the year after next, and both my spouse and I work FT, so after care is a big concern.

Any insight into what working parents are doing for after school care in these towns? It looks like the towns offer some sort of after school programs, but what is the qualitylike, and are there good private options? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 09:11 AM

42 posts, read 162,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyponder View Post
We are considering moving to Winchester or Lexington, and one big consideration is the availability and quality of after school programs - our little one will be entering kindergarten the year after next, and both my spouse and I work FT, so after care is a big concern.

Any insight into what working parents are doing for after school care in these towns? It looks like the towns offer some sort of after school programs, but what is the qualitylike, and are there good private options? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
There are a couple of after school programs in Winchester. One is Kids Corner, an excellent program serving kids K-6, and the other is run by town recreation department. There is always a wait list to get into Kids Corner, but if you sign up when your kids are in Kindergarten, they should be all set.

I don't know details about Lexington, but I have heard that their rec dept has many options for after school care.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2008, 10:44 AM

43 posts, read 181,860 times
I live in Lexington, the extended day programs are excellent.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 PM

32 posts, read 131,272 times
Also, new this fall, Kindergarten in Lexington is being offered on a full-time basis. This means until 3:15 pm (except Thursdays, which are half days for all grades). There is still a half day option, but there was little demand for it, so the only half day class is happening at the Bowman school. Also, I should mention that full-time classes cost $1,025/year/student (but also that kindergarten isn't required by law in MA? I just found that out since our 5-yr is starting this fall...who knew?!...I digress). My wife works at home, so we're covered for after school, but I'd recommend checking out the following site:
Schools (http://ci.lexington.ma.us/schools.htm - broken link)
Good luck in your choice!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:13 AM

Thanks all for the info. I have a follow-up question, I guess for cocoaday and Skwidy, regarding the elementary schools in Lexington. When you look at test scores for the elementary schools, some of the elementary schools like Bowman and Harrington don't seem to be performing as well as the others. I just wanted to get your opinion as to why this might be?

Old 05-28-2008, 11:33 AM

I don't have direct knowledge of this, but I was told by one of the RE agents in town that Bowman had lower test scores because there was more temporary housing in that district, i.e. apartments, and that regardless of where you went to school before that day, if you're there on the test day, your test counts towards that school. Same agent said Harrington was due to its newness. I don't know if I fully believe those answers, but there is some logic to it.

In general, though, the LPS system is pretty good, and regardless of where the kids go to elementary, they all go through LHS.

I've heard terrific things about Winchester too. While everyone might be clamoring to get into the Muraco system because of the test scores, all the schools are good, and all the kids will go through WHS.

I think the differences between the two school systems are negligible, and that you really can't go wrong with either.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:28 PM

Spyponder, I just saw this on another website:
After-school programs awarded contract - Lexington, MA - Lexington Minuteman

Old 05-29-2008, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-12-2008, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 8,757 times
Default There is another multi-culture afterschool program

There is another new multi-culture afterschool program in Winchester run by the the Winchester school of Chinese Culture

[url=http://www.wscc-ma.org]Winchester School of Chinese Culture: Home Page[/url]

Old 06-06-2011, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,920 times
Default After School Program for Lexington

Just wanted to update this with another ASP resource:

www.MassachusettsAfterSchool.com

This is a program for getting kids unplugged from the computer and involved in real life adventures.

Guard Up also provides coverage during school vacation and many scheduled school closings as well as summer camps.

Transportation is provided from Lexington schools to the Burlington facility (located near the Burlington Mall). Pick up as late as 6pm.

A free week of After School care is offered as a trial.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts