Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 07:25 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Go by any tire shop and ask them how much to dispose of the tires. I’m guessing $5 each. Or find a Portagee looking to make a planter.
I know I can dispose them for 2$ each at my town recycling center, and my recycling center is kind of on the way to work. The problem is simply load them in the car and spend an extra 20 min to drop them there.
I am just being lazy pretty much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 07:44 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
Quote:
Go by any tire shop and ask them how much to dispose of the tires. I’m guessing $5 each. Or find a Portagee looking to make a planter.
Is that supposed to be funny?

Old 01-02-2021, 04:28 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I know I can dispose them for 2$ each at my town recycling center, and my recycling center is kind of on the way to work. The problem is simply load them in the car and spend an extra 20 min to drop them there.
My town gives you a card when you get your sticker to dispose of two tires. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with the other two. Dump them by the side of the road, I guess. I just pay the disposal fee at the tire shop like everyone else. It’s already hard enough to keep the garage from filling with debris.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:19 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,010,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What is the perceived required service of a gas powered machine that folks are so eager to avoid?

I’ve had my machine 3 years now (plus another blower befire this one) and year end maintainance takes me maybe 1 hr tops. For the oil change, I usually tilt the machine, open the drain plug over a pan and then walk away. A couple days later I’ll come back, close the drain and top it off with oil. I’ll spend a few mins greasing some of the zerk fittings, lube some other points, wipe the machine down and I’m done. I usually drain the gas or run the machine down to til it stalls, and that’s it. Maybe a spark plug in a few years, and maybe a belt.

My previous machine was 10+ years old and I never touched a belt. Now, I can handle engine repairs myself, but my neighbor had a mobile snowblower repair service swing by his house earlier this season. The guy carted the machine to his box truck with lift gate and serviced it on site.

I’m not against electric tech at all. I want to see the tech mature, but I just don’t think we are there yet with regards to snowblowers for any more than a light dusting. It just doesn’t seem like a good trade off to spend extra time outside struggling on a cold winter day, just to avoid a couple hours of service on a warmer day of your choosing.
I'm a fairly handy guy and among my friends I'm probably the one who is the handiest. This being said, I've never worked on my own car (aside from doing some car stereo work back in college) and I've never worked on small engines. I can't remember the last time I was in an auto parts store and I was probably there to buy some car wash soap. Plus, I have little kids who go in/out of my garage regularly. Plus, I don't have much free time already.

Basically, the last thing I want to do is spend my time changing the oil on my snowblower or maintaining it in any way. If the Ego batteries lasted 10 years instead of 3-5, I would be all over that snowblower.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:36 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'm a fairly handy guy and among my friends I'm probably the one who is the handiest. This being said, I've never worked on my own car (aside from doing some car stereo work back in college) and I've never worked on small engines. I can't remember the last time I was in an auto parts store and I was probably there to buy some car wash soap. Plus, I have little kids who go in/out of my garage regularly. Plus, I don't have much free time already.

Basically, the last thing I want to do is spend my time changing the oil on my snowblower or maintaining it in any way. If the Ego batteries lasted 10 years instead of 3-5, I would be all over that snowblower.
Depends on how your calculating your time/productivity. A shovel has very low maintenance (and is greener), but also very high operation labor

Changing the oil on a sunny April day sure beats struggling with a street berm on an 18f evening, or moving at a snails pace ... that's my my labor priority, anyway.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:47 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Depends on how your calculating your time/productivity. A shovel has very low maintenance (and is greener), but also very high operation labor

Changing the oil on a sunny April day sure beats struggling with a street berm on an 18f evening, or moving at a snails pace ... that's my my labor priority, anyway.

For things like oil changes, plugs, and the blade on a lawn mower, it's quicker to do the work myself than haul the thing to a local lawnmower repair guy. I had the dealer pull the welcome mat out of my Toro years ago. That's a mistake you only make once (I hope) and it wasn't coming out with a good hard yank.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:05 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
That's how I look at it. Get me back into my warm house ASAP please.

And if you don't want to get your hands dirty there are mobile services, such as this. https://www.mobileses.com/

Old 01-04-2021, 01:32 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Is that supposed to be funny?
More self deprecating. Most of my old Portuguese uncles made them:

At one time there were as common as Virgin Mary statues in a niche in Somerville.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:35 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post

At least you're honest.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:36 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,366 times
Quote:
More self deprecating. Most of my old Portuguese uncles made them:

At one time there were as common as Virgin Mary statues in a niche in Somerville.
Just don't grow stuff you are going to eat, those are really not food grade. BTW, a lot of work went into the center one, that stuff is hard to bend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts