Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 05:54 PM

57 posts, read 57,132 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I are looking at a possible move to Boston and I’d love to pick your brains about neighborhoods, housing availability, commutes, prices, etc.

Here is our basic info:
* The move would only be for one year
* We have a 9 month old boy (will be approximately 2 during the year we live there
* We have several pets including two large dogs so apartment living is challenging at best.
* My husband would be working at Beth Israel and would prefer no more than about a 30 minute commute.
* Budget will vary depending on if I work or not. We’d probably like to stay under 2500 but the lower the better (while still being safe) so I can stay home with our son.

Last edited by mdeedub; 06-17-2020 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 06:14 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Budget?
A rental with two large dogs is very unlikely. It sounds like your husband might be doing a residency or something like that? Could you maybe leave the dogs with family or someone for that one year? The size isn't an issue, it's that there are very few places at any price that allow dogs. It's a city thing, I think. I finally moved out of the city specifically because I wanted dogs and had to buy/own to have them. It's a real problem with living in the area, and I don't mean just the city itself.
But Beth Israel! A great institution. He must be very talented to get a slot there, best wishes.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:21 PM

I didn’t put a budget because we have a decent amount of flexibility. We currently pay 1200 for our house but I am currently not working. Before living here we paid 2300 a month for a duplex and I had to work. The price range will just determine if I have to work for the year or if I can stay home. Id prefer to stay home with our son but it’s only a year and I imagine Boston to be expensive so we will do what we have to.

The dogs do make things more challenging but it’s not impossible. You are right that he’s doing medical training, this will be our 4th move for the purpose and we’ve always managed with the dogs. It does limit options for sure though!

Old 06-17-2020, 06:22 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,360 times
There are a few SFHs for rent somewhere like Newton or Brookline, which would keep you within 30 minutes, but you aren't going to be able to be very choosy as inventory will be low, and most of what is there will run ~$5,000/month and up.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:29 PM

That would definitely be out of our price range. We could probably manage as much as 2500 but that’s about all I’d want to do.

While we’d love to have a sfh we know it’s highly unlikely. I was hoping to get ideas on where I might find townhomes or duplexes if sfh’s aren’t an option.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:51 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
$2500 for a SFH or even an townhouse/apartment within 30 minutes of BI is going to be near impossible. If you are going to have to work to afford that, keep in mind that you'll be paying $1500+ for childcare every month.

Have you considered staying where you are and letting him come to Boston on his own? He might be able to find an apartment with roommates for about $1000 or so.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:07 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
$2500 for a SFH or even an townhouse/apartment within 30 minutes of BI is going to be near impossible. If you are going to have to work to afford that, keep in mind that you'll be paying $1500+ for childcare every month.

Have you considered staying where you are and letting him come to Boston on his own? He might be able to find an apartment with roommates for about $1000 or so.
Actually that's a very good idea for OP, I think. Likely he'll be crazy busy and crazy tired with this year at BI and would probably do fine with a comfortable room to rest nearby BI. I wonder if the program has any housing, like a dorm-type studio or something. I'd do it that way but then, I'm old and tired!

Old 06-17-2020, 08:21 PM

Oh whoops I made a typo. We paid 3200 a month with me working. I think we could manage 2500 without me working.

We would not consider living apart for the year, especially since our son is so young. My husband is not a new intern so hours aren’t as bad as all that either.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:22 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,718,917 times
You might be able to find a pet friendly apartment rental in someplace like Jamaica Plain.

Alternatively, if you want a house, you might be able to find someplace in Framingham, and your husband could take the train. Or if he does drive, it wouldn't be too bad of a drive.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:25 AM

6,804 posts, read 6,025,708 times
Maybe look around Brighton a bit? If you can find somewhere near the 65 bus, the commute to Beth Isreal would be pretty painless. The neighborhood is more affordable than Brookline with larger spaces and probably more short-term turnover than JP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts