Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 09:45 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,195,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The town of Oxford shut him down, not the state.
The Town Manager should probably worry about her own issues.

https://turtleboysports.com/vindicti...-blondins-gym/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 09:48 PM

5,973 posts, read 4,957,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I don’t know how they managed 25 -30% unemployment. However We’re not Greece or Spain and I don’t want to be like them..though Personally I rather be like Sweden that never had a lockdown and still survived!
Oh really? Sweden's mortality rate per 100K is higher than that of the US.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Old 06-20-2020, 11:32 PM

3,075 posts, read 5,620,114 times
Who cares if he decides to open. Why can't adults make their own decisions and evaluate their risks? We have already seen that healthy people with none to minimal underlying conditions survive this virus so we should be encouraging healthy activities, instead we are waiting on more drugs from corporate companies. The same ones that brought you Ocycontin, are the ones people are waiting for a cure.

This virus isn't going away so let people make their own decisions. If you are worried or scared, then stay at home and don't go to the gym. I fail to see where the government has the power to close down businesses cause they are scared. If that was the case they should have closed down every business, and that includes home depot and the big companies. Nope, they let those operate the the small family owned ones fail. By the way, if these officials would be honest they would have taken a pay cut or donated all their money during the pandemic. A bunch of hypocrites and nothing they did made any sense at all.

In the end, it won't make any difference except the fact they drove small businesses out of business and made people more reliant on the government.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:15 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,751,948 times
Quote:

Who cares if he decides to open. Why can't adults make their own decisions and evaluate their risks? We have already seen that healthy people with none to minimal underlying conditions survive this virus so we should be encouraging healthy activities, instead we are waiting on more drugs from corporate companies. The same ones that brought you Ocycontin, are the ones people are waiting for a cure.

This virus isn't going away so let people make their own decisions. If you are worried or scared, then stay at home and don't go to the gym. I fail to see where the government has the power to close down businesses cause they are scared. If that was the case they should have closed down every business, and that includes home depot and the big companies. Nope, they let those operate the the small family owned ones fail. By the way, if these officials would be honest they would have taken a pay cut or donated all their money during the pandemic. A bunch of hypocrites and nothing they did made any sense at all.

In the end, it won't make any difference except the fact they drove small businesses out of business and made people more reliant on the government.

Couldn’t have said it better...thanks for posting!

Old 06-21-2020, 05:03 AM

24,508 posts, read 17,967,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
FYI....I don’t consider myself a tough guy. Just a simple average dude!
That’s below average in Massachusetts.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:16 AM

448 posts, read 278,832 times
For me (and I would guess the others that want gyms to close, or restaraunts, etc....)

Lots of people go to gym. One person tests positive, and contaminates a lot more from the gym. Those people go out and contaminate other people, including those that didnt go to the gym.

Therefore, keep the gyms closed. Not 'essential', kwim?

Sure, thats the basic reasoning. Those that want the gyms open, will disagree and talk about grocery stores, stores, etc...

But just trying to minimize the exposures.

But both sides know that, and both sides have their opinions. And it seems neither side will budge.

So therefore, follow the person who made the rules, the one who got voted in (whether you like him or not) and if you dont like the way hes doing things, vote someone else.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:48 AM

49 posts, read 38,073 times
There seems to be a sentiment of righteousness on the part of those posters/persons who support the closure of the Oxford gym.

Somehow I don't think those folks are bringing the same kind of close it down enthusiasm for Lowe's or Target.

Isn't it just so convenient that the virus can only be spread at small local businesses but not those big fully packed stores.

The state and local government made arbitrary choices about who can stay in business and who can't based primarily on monied interests and some people here are routing for them.

Same folks probably watched Star Wars and thought...huh that Death Star sure does seem to make alot of sense for keeping the empire safe from the ignorant masses.

Last edited by FarmCoastLocal; 06-21-2020 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Adding analogy at the end

Old 06-21-2020, 08:59 AM

24,508 posts, read 17,967,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmCoastLocal View Post
There seems to be a sentiment of righteousness on the part of those posters/persons who support the closure of the Oxford gym.

Somehow I don't think those folks are bringing the same kind of close it down enthusiasm for Lowe's or Target.

Isn't it just so convenient that the virus can only be spread at small local businesses but not those big fully packed stores.

The state and local government made arbitrary choices about who can stay in business and who can't based primarily on monied interests and some people here are routing for them.

Same folks probably watched Star Wars and thought...huh that Death Star sure does seem to make alot of sense for keeping the empire safe from the ignorant masses.
In Target, you wear a mask, maintain 6 feet of separation, and generally don’t touch anything. That is not a typical gym environment. This is all about keeping the transmission rate below 1.0.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:40 AM

15,681 posts, read 20,181,855 times
Drove by a gym today that basically turned their parking lot into a gym. Weights, treadmills, machines and other equipment. All outside and being used....

On a 90 degree day on black asphalt.

You can do what you want...but I was getting hot just driving by and seeing this.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:53 PM

11,901 posts, read 8,980,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
For me (and I would guess the others that want gyms to close, or restaraunts, etc....)

Lots of people go to gym. One person tests positive, and contaminates a lot more from the gym. Those people go out and contaminate other people, including those that didnt go to the gym.

Therefore, keep the gyms closed. Not 'essential', kwim?

Sure, thats the basic reasoning. Those that want the gyms open, will disagree and talk about grocery stores, stores, etc...

But just trying to minimize the exposures.

But both sides know that, and both sides have their opinions. And it seems neither side will budge.

So therefore, follow the person who made the rules, the one who got voted in (whether you like him or not) and if you dont like the way hes doing things, vote someone else.
Those people who are far right, are probably never going to be happy in Massachusetts. Might as well move someplace like North Dakota, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Alabama or Mississippi. Why stay here if you hate the state, hate the residents, and hate the government?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts