Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 07:20 AM

73 posts, read 61,307 times

Advertisements

Better question right now is will school rankings matter in 5 years if more families go to private school, pods, etc. WIFI and high speed internet has to be #1 on the list of city residents concerns about going more rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 07:30 AM

13,955 posts, read 14,857,180 times
Americans have always left large cities. The difference is immigration has dropped to the point where it’s not enough to keep Boston, New York or LA growing

Old 08-12-2020, 07:41 AM

786 posts, read 775,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
If someone likes Boston but can work 100% remotely and wants something cheaper, then there are much better options than Worcester and Springfield.
Providence comes to mind. Although not MA still within commuting distance by car or train. Providence is pretty good for the price.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:45 AM

2,275 posts, read 1,322,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
If someone likes Boston but can work 100% remotely and wants something cheaper, then there are much better options than Worcester and Springfield.
Also I am not so sure someone who likes Boston also likes Worcester and Springfield.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:50 AM

2,275 posts, read 1,322,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupola_ View Post
I'm figuring with Boston-area housing prices the way they are combined with a lot of jobs becoming remote, people would be leaving the city to move to cheaper parts of the state. Are there any signs of this yet? Where are people moving? Worcester? Springfield?
I think it depends who you are talking about. People leave Boston for different reasons, some are literally just priced out others have changed priorities. I assume this makes a huge difference in where they end up.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:51 AM

24,515 posts, read 18,026,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airunxc View Post
Better question right now is will school rankings matter in 5 years if more families go to private school, pods, etc. WIFI and high speed internet has to be #1 on the list of city residents concerns about going more rural.

Have you ever priced private schools? That's not an option for most even in an affluent place like metro Boston. Here in the hinterlands, the private day school in town is $23K for kindergarten and $30k for grade 8. The really fancy programs there are closer to $40K. The catholic high school is bargain-priced at $11,100. The local prep school is $49k for day students.

Not that I need it but I can get gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 broadband service at my two places far removed from anywhere urban. The Comcast 105 speed tier is just fine for a family of four glued to Zoom on PCs all day.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:55 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,744,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Americans have always left large cities. The difference is immigration has dropped to the point where it’s not enough to keep Boston, New York or LA growing
Boston's (and really all of the 128 cities) population growth was on fire from like 2008. New York was doing well too before the virus.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:57 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,265,869 times
I don't know, but I've started to think maybe I should move back to New Hampshire, or even to Maine (I don't live in the Boston area currently, though).

Old 08-12-2020, 08:06 AM

21,436 posts, read 12,466,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Boston's (and really all of the 128 cities) population growth was on fire from like 2008. New York was doing well too before the virus.
Bostons population growth has been slowing every year since 2015. Every year since then it’s grown less and less. It’s basically come to a screeching halt at this point. Census estimates showed growth of only 1,100 between 2018 and 2019. I’d expect population loss from 2020-2021.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:13 AM

948 posts, read 704,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Idk what I think, but I don't see anything west of Worcester reaping the "benefits" of a Boston exodus, small or large. If anything, this may simply mean a more "balanced" set of middle-upper class suburbs?

Maybe that young family that needed to be within striking distance to Cambridge will now consider outer ring/Central MA towns like Northborough as opposed to Arlington? Most certainly this will be the final push for a starter family/28-35 year olds renting in the South End to move to the suburbs for the first time.

I don't expect housing prices in the suburbs to sky rocket.. They're already expensive. But I do expect less inventory stretching further and further as demand will essentially be high anywhere and everywhere east of Worcester. That is, unless the market tanks like it's primed to.. Then, idk. A lot of renters in the suburbs?
I think you're right, and that area will be the sweet spot. Incidentally, I grew up in the 'boros and my father commutes into Boston (as do many others). But, it can be a tough commute - having to go in only 2-3 days takes a lot of the sting off, and you get the benefit of top notch schools and (relatively) lower housing costs. The intersection of 495/Mass Pike basically grants you reasonable access to all major job clusters in Eastern Massachusetts, something that can't be said for the North/South shores. As long as you don't need any type of 'scene', which you won't get - it's textbook suburbia.

West of Worcester feels too remote to really take off, even with lots of people moving farther west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts