Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 12:52 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,937,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurttarvis View Post
I am aware of the rankings of both states. It still doesn't change my mind that the best decision I made was moving out of Massachusetts. I can buy a decent house for 70k-100k and pay $200-500 a year in property taxes in WV. My salary in WV is only slightly lower than what it was in MA. For me, it's a win-win. The people are nicer, the nature and outdoors is VASTLY superior to the offerings in MA. It's not a state for everyone, just like Massachusetts is not for everyone. I also can't stand the creepy diehard liberalism of the Commonwealth. Just not for me. Paying higher taxes to "combat climate change" may be a priority for you, but it is not for me.
If you aren't making significantly more in MA, you probably shouldn't be here. Federal taxes are still progressive (and much bigger than state taxes), so living in a lower COL area with slightly higher taxes could still net you lower overall taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 02:31 PM

919 posts, read 567,225 times
WV covers a lot of highly wrinkled ground, with a lot of breathtaking beauty and some breathtaking ugly. Living in its eastern panhandle as compared to its southernmost counties an be about as different as living in Andover vs Lawrence MA. Thing is, we have already have three variations on WV within New England not too far from MA: VT, NH, and interior ME. All with a lot more proximity to services people tend to need as they get older and less pollution with a lot of gorgeous nature, and some pretty nice people, too.

Old 08-28-2020, 04:00 PM

15,876 posts, read 21,472,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurttarvis View Post
30. Why?

I was trying to figure out if you're someone who's so old that they think it's someone else's problem or a freeloader.

Got my answer.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:16 PM

73 posts, read 62,207 times
Gas should be $4-5 a gallon. That will force people to buy smaller cars, drive less, this reducing traffic's, air pollution, dependence on foreign imports, etc.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:48 PM

28 posts, read 28,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I was trying to figure out if you're someone who's so old that they think it's someone else's problem or a freeloader.

Got my answer.
That's cute! And I am plenty generous, I support causes that I believe have an effect on my family, my community, and their future. As I am sure you do with causes you believe in.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:59 PM

28 posts, read 28,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
WV covers a lot of highly wrinkled ground, with a lot of breathtaking beauty and some breathtaking ugly. Living in its eastern panhandle as compared to its southernmost counties an be about as different as living in Andover vs Lawrence MA. Thing is, we have already have three variations on WV within New England not too far from MA: VT, NH, and interior ME. All with a lot more proximity to services people tend to need as they get older and less pollution with a lot of gorgeous nature, and some pretty nice people, too.
I have always said that Maine is like the West Virginia of the north. I lived, for a brief period of time, in Aroostook County. First in Limestone and then in Caribou. Worlds difference from the coast and a world's difference from the more mountainous region. Like WV, parts of Maine are so far isolated from services. I always liked northern New England. Lived in all three of those states and enjoyed my time in each. Not somewhere I wanted to live permanently though, and that's just based on preference. We aren't staying here forever either. Plan on eventually just maintaining our vacation property deep up a holler here to escape too.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:33 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,770,204 times
Quote:

Gas should be $4-5 a gallon. That will force people to buy smaller cars, drive less, this reducing traffic's, air pollution, dependence on foreign imports, etc.

Spoken like a true control freak...BTW...we’re not dependent on foreign energy imports!

Old 08-30-2020, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
BTW...we’re not dependent on foreign energy imports!

I think this was a recent shift, so probably the poster has outdated knowledge. I'm glad we have some energy independence again. The migration to more and more electric cars will continue the trend, too.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:42 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,770,204 times
Quote:

The migration to more and more electric cars will continue the trend, too.
Realistically I believe Hydrogen has the greatest potential to replace fossil fuels...JMHO...

Old 08-31-2020, 06:31 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,150,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by segfalt View Post
I think this was a recent shift, so probably the poster has outdated knowledge. I'm glad we have some energy independence again. The migration to more and more electric cars will continue the trend, too.
I'd argue you're operating on dated knowledge now. At $4X a barrel few, if any, of our domestic oil supplies are profitable. Unless we wish to socialize domestic oil production (more than we already are), it makes far more sense to buy from other sources.

Regardless, with transport and residential/commercial RE rapidly electrifying and increasing efficiency we likely just lived through 'peak oil', meaning energy independence will be found through lowered oil demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts