Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 06:47 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times

Advertisements

I heard on the radio this morning that our state is lagging behind in returning our census and I wonder why? I filled mine out and returned it in the mail early on. I must have received at least 4 reminders and one spare form. I didn't think it was a big deal because they already had most of the information and I was simply confirming it.

Why are people reluctant to fill it out and send it back in?

Of course my first thought was that many stubborn people live among us and they somehow see filling out the census would somehow be helping Trump.

On the flip side I'm sure some see it as helping the Democrats.

The news on the radio had a snippet of Maura Healey upset and accusing Trump that he is trying to end the census early but I also heard that a judge blocked the move and it is set to end in September.

I think Trump is right, we have had months to fill it out and with covid we have had more time at home.

I know some are not happy that the census is also counting illegal aliens as legal while some others may just be lazy.

The amount of money being spent on the census is crazy when all we need to do is fill out a little form.

What do you think is stopping people from filling out and returning the census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 07:02 AM

510 posts, read 449,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I heard on the radio this morning that our state is lagging behind in returning our census and I wonder why? I filled mine out and returned it in the mail early on. I must have received at least 4 reminders and one spare form. I didn't think it was a big deal because they already had most of the information and I was simply confirming it.

Why are people reluctant to fill it out and send it back in?

Of course my first thought was that many stubborn people live among us and they somehow see filling out the census would somehow be helping Trump.

On the flip side I'm sure some see it as helping the Democrats.

The news on the radio had a snippet of Maura Healey upset and accusing Trump that he is trying to end the census early but I also heard that a judge blocked the move and it is set to end in September.

I think Trump is right, we have had months to fill it out and with covid we have had more time at home.

I know some are not happy that the census is also counting illegal aliens as legal while some others may just be lazy.

The amount of money being spent on the census is crazy when all we need to do is fill out a little form.

What do you think is stopping people from filling out and returning the census.

Because it's used to change political districts as well as justify their rasing of taxes with no real benefits to tax payers.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:13 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
Because it's used to change political districts as well as justify their rasing of taxes with no real benefits to tax payers.
Political districts and, as a result, house representation. While the senate is fixed (2 per state), the house reps change with population/redistricting ... though there's a cap on overall reps which leads to oddities like Montana having one rep and RI ... for the time being ... having two.

This census is likely to remove a house rep district/seat for the following states: Alabama, California, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and West Virginia.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:21 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

These must be extraordinarily idiotic right wingers, even for the norm among right wingers. Do these dimwits not realize that SLAVES were counted and right wingers pushed for that when the Constitution was formed? Sure, they were only worth 3/5th a "real person", but it is clear the founders wanted an actual enumeration and didn't care about citizenship when doing so. There is no counting of "legal" or "illegal" people, just a count of people.

Goodness grief. Boneheads.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:41 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
False. In fact it's well ahead.

https://www.masslive.com/politics/20...20-census.html

"Massachusetts has recorded responses from 90.7% of the population, but some census field offices are struggling to get remaining households counted in the month before the 2020 Census field operations end.

About 67.7% of Massachusetts residents filled out the 2020 Census on their own, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Another 22.8% of residents were counted in followups with census workers, who were deployed to knock on doors where census forms weren’t completed.

Massachusetts surpassed the national self-response rate, 65.3%, and enumeration rate, 87.1% nationwide. Overall, the commonwealth falls below 13 other states in completing the decennial count. By comparison, Idaho, West Virginia and Washington have gotten more than 95% of households counted in the 2020 Census."

Above the national average. The census is just to count people, it doesn't matter on status

Old 09-09-2020, 04:56 AM

304 posts, read 151,573 times
I've seen a few factors at play for why people aren't responding to the census. Lots of immigrants will not respond because of fears the information will be used against them. Lots of college students are confused about where and when to respond, or never get the mailed reminders, and Mass. has lots of college students! The mail system has gotten so unreliable where I live that I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the forms and reminders are not getting to where they are supposed to. I noticed when they arrived at my post office lots of people just dumped the reminders on the floor since they've removed the trash and recycling cans. Apparently, a lot of people just can't be bothered. I know for people like my children, in their 20s, if it isn't digital it doesn't exist. They do not read paper mail, period. If they instead were sent an email they might read it.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:52 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,789 times
I admit I didn't do mine. Busy with work and kept putting it off. Then because my house is so small, I constantly throw stuff away to keep down the clutter and accidentally threw the census form with the registration number to fill it out online away.

But about a week ago, a census man wearing a mask showed up at my house and shouted the questions to me from across the street, so it's done now.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:06 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
With respect to the legal status of people it would make little sense to only count citizens or legal aliens. The census leads to transit planning, educational planning, healthcare etc. I don't want to see clogged roads, schools and lines out the door for healthcare. There's no documentation that would illustrate that it would be limited to those that are legally here. Just to note the majority of those that are here illegally are illegal because their visa expired. Other debates get odd on this like drivers licenses. Believe it or not many people can drive in other countries, they just don't have a drivers license here. It can be argued that police need to see id before anything happens there is an interest in that everyone has some sort of id. Having said this New Haven had a nice idea of issuing a local id for this.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:16 AM

304 posts, read 151,573 times
Quote:
I did skip questions that I could and told them the wrong information. Hopefully that will help with getting rid of some seats.
Sorry, but it doesn't work like that. Your information is lumped together with millions of fellow citizens and your pitiful attempt to hurt your fellow citizens and yourself will fail. Classic rightwing nonsense. So wound up with anger that you can't think straight to the point you shoot yourself in the foot. The census helps determine things like funding for all sorts of things I bet you take advantage of: highways, schools, bridges, emergency funds, etc.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:50 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieJastrow View Post
Right, the roads in my area are horrible... but a palatial new school has been funded for kids I don't have...and for kids being taught at home.

It will only hurt the leeches of society. I am fine with that.
May I suggest another state? You're clearly miserable and your interests severely misaligned with average MA citizen.

P.S. - MA's schools help your prop values regardless of whether you have children or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts