Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 07:28 PM

105 posts, read 71,788 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Was curious to see what folks here know of the going rate to replace a septic system in MA (leach fields included). Assuming ample land to relocate the lines without the need for a mound system.

What are the expected lifespans of a septic system these days? Any recommendations for things like aerators or drywells to extend the life of an older (20+ year) system?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 09:34 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
We replaced our system 2 years ago, it was $17,000. Conventional stone & pipe leach field, replaced an Infiltrator System leach field that failed early.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:17 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
It really is going to depend upon the size of the system (how many bedrooms does your house have?), how well your soil percs, and a few other things. Then of course, there's the question of do you live in a place where you're going to get zip coded (i.e. do you live in a "high income" town where contractors will charge you more than people who live in other towns)?

Old 12-13-2020, 11:40 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc733 View Post
What are the expected lifespans of a septic system these days? Any recommendations for things like aerators or drywells to extend the life of an older (20+ year) system?

TIA
The life expectancy depends also on how well they were made. My house has 50 years old leach field and it's still working well. One of the people that inspected the system told me all system built around that time in and around my town were built extremely well and are still working.
Everyone agreed on one point, don't do anything until you have issues.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:58 AM

105 posts, read 71,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
It really is going to depend upon the size of the system (how many bedrooms does your house have?), how well your soil percs, and a few other things. Then of course, there's the question of do you live in a place where you're going to get zip coded (i.e. do you live in a "high income" town where contractors will charge you more than people who live in other towns)?
Thanks all for the replies, to answer MikePru's questions:
  1. 3 bedrooms
  2. Not sure about perc numbers, but you can see the outline of the drainfield in terms of the gras being greener where the pipes are versus the gaps between them.
  3. Not in a high-end zip code, but still distinctively within the GBA for markup.

One other factor, the home and grounds are elevated, but there are wetlands nearby.

$17k-$25k is palatable. I'm just wondering if I am going to eventually be faced with a $50k bill. This document on Acton's (not my town) website makes it seem like mid-high 30s is the norm:
http://doc.acton-ma.gov/dsweb/Get/Do...%2010.2019.pdf

System is 20 years old, sewer is expected to be available in 7-10 years. Hoping there are ways to stretch its life so that I don't pay $30k+ two years before a simple sewer hookup is available.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:34 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Our septic has lasted 34 years so far.

Old 12-13-2020, 03:11 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
My boss just replaced his his this past spring in Groveland for about $30k as part of selling his home. Unfortunately I don’t recall the home specs and can’t locate it at the moment on my RE apps. He has two kids so at least a 3BR

Old 12-13-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc733 View Post
$17k-$25k is palatable. I'm just wondering if I am going to eventually be faced with a $50k bill. This document on Acton's (not my town) website makes it seem like mid-high 30s is the norm:
http://doc.acton-ma.gov/dsweb/Get/Do...%2010.2019.pdf

System is 20 years old, sewer is expected to be available in 7-10 years. Hoping there are ways to stretch its life so that I don't pay $30k+ two years before a simple sewer hookup is available.
Around $30K for a totally new system is a number I feel like I hear a lot, but I tend to work more in towns that have municipal sewer. Also, septic systems have such a long lifespan that I don't often come across homes that need a full system replacement when I do work in towns that don't have municipal sewer.

If the town is putting a sewer line on your street in two years, you can either do a full replacement of your current system or you can hook in when the line is installed. Hooking in to municipal sewer is not an inexpensive project either. So, you can really go either way with it.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:05 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Around $30K for a totally new system is a number I feel like I hear a lot, but I tend to work more in towns that have municipal sewer. Also, septic systems have such a long lifespan that I don't often come across homes that need a full system replacement when I do work in towns that don't have municipal sewer.

If the town is putting a sewer line on your street in two years, you can either do a full replacement of your current system or you can hook in when the line is installed. Hooking in to municipal sewer is not an inexpensive project either. So, you can really go either way with it.
Sure, but the latter solution is advantageous for resale. It seems many are private septic adverse while ignoring potential public septic issues like old root-bound pipes. I can't blame them for having these concerns as replacement is capital intensive, but well water is a much larger concern in terms of year-to-year costs and quality of life, IMO.

Title V gives buyers a pretty clear idea of where a private septic system stands. If buying a home without a title 5, do be mindful of the local water table ... I'm seeing A LOT of elevated system replacements throughout central/eastern MA which can truly undermine otherwise perfect lots/properties. There's a home near me in which the septic retaining wall is maybe 4-5ft from the side of the home and occludes half of the window height ... it's horrendous.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Title V gives buyers a pretty clear idea of where a private septic system stands. If buying a home without a title 5, do be mindful of the local water table ... I'm seeing A LOT of elevated system replacements throughout central/eastern MA which can truly undermine otherwise perfect lots/properties. There's a home near me in which the septic retaining wall is maybe 4-5ft from the side of the home and occludes half of the window height ... it's horrendous.
The law requires any home changing ownership to pass a Title V inspection within 2 years of changing hands. This being said, you would have a really hard time finding a lender who will give you a mortgage if the house hasn't had and passed a Title V inspection. You can purchase cash or with a construction loan and that can allow you to buy without the inspection. However, it doesn't seem worth the risk considering the expense involved in replacing a septic system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts