Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 04:33 PM

35 posts, read 38,039 times

Advertisements

I had the one from Wegman's last year and did not really like it. It was dry and pretty flavorless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 06:50 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,136,633 times
You might also want to do a quick survey of your local restaurants. I know a few who are proactive in their efforts to survive a Covid-economy of offering Thanksgiving packages.

My wife and I are considering Dead Horse Hill this year as there 4 person package isn't too pricey (relative to quality). One can add a wine paring option as well ... proper one stop shopping for those with more capital than time.

I know Gibbet Hill is offering similar packages, though it's more a la carte.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:50 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,340,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'll admit, some Vegan foods taste great.
The vegan foods that taste great are typically the ones that are not trying to be a non-vegan food.

Although I have to say the new "incredible meats" (or whatever they are called) are pretty good.

Old 11-05-2020, 05:51 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontwanttocheckmymessage View Post
Our Turkey Day plans are looking different this year and we are ordering a prepared meal. Whole cooked turkey plus sides. Has anyone ever ordered a prepared Thanksgiving Dinner from Market Basket, Stop and Shop or Shaws in MA? Not like homemade, I know. But, how was it? Thanks!
I would think the prepared food from a middle of the road level supermarket would be pretty middle of the road. Ordering from a more upscale market or one that more specializes in prepared food like a Wegman's or a Fresh Market would probably get you a better dinner. Is there a local farm or farmer stand near you? I know here in Needham we have Volante Farms and they do a great turkey dinner. I've ordered mine there several times. A place like Honey Baked Ham would probably have a good turkey dinner too.

As others have said, these are strange times we're living in and I'm sure a lot of restaurants near you are probably offering a Thanksgiving package that would be superior to what you could find at most supermarkets.

Basically, if a place has good food the rest of the year I would say that increases the odds of you getting a good turkey dinner from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Make it vegan and refuse to pay for someone else to kill an animal who did not want to die.

There is a vegan suffed turkey made by Field Roast.
I understand you're a big believer in animal rights and you're a vegan but I think your post is pretty over the top. Humans have long been omnivores and we've been eating animals for a long time. Occasionally, some animals eat us. I don't think somewhere out in the woods that there's a bear chastising another bear for eating a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
The vegan foods that taste great are typically the ones that are not trying to be a non-vegan food.

Although I have to say the new "incredible meats" (or whatever they are called) are pretty good.
The fake meats are OK. They definitely are not all created equal. I tried a fake meat (can't recall the brand) Italian sausage a while back that I got at Wegmans and it was absolutely the worst thing I've ever eaten. I really enjoy the Beyond sausage egg and cheese sandwich from Dunks. Definitely not vegan and definitely does not really taste like sausage. However, it's pretty tasty.

Old 11-05-2020, 05:57 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
This.

Old 11-05-2020, 10:12 AM

9,077 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I understand you're a big believer in animal rights and you're a vegan but I think your post is pretty over the top. Humans have long been omnivores and we've been eating animals for a long time. Occasionally, some animals eat us. I don't think somewhere out in the woods that there's a bear chastising another bear for eating a person.
It is not just bears, some insects eat humans too.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:01 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
If it's between those three and you are lucky enough to have a MB nearby, then it's hands down MB, every time.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:12 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times
Wouldn't Roche Brothers have a decent option? Supposedly, their prepared foods and bakery are more extensive and maybe better quality than Star, Shaw's, Market Basket, Big Y and Wegman's? And their Brother's Market chain though small specialty stores, impressed me when I visited their new Waltham store....and isn't Watertown getting one as well as one already in Cambridge? Not sure if they'd have a different Thanksgiving option, maybe even higher quality, than their sister stores of Roche Brothers

Don't laugh, but Whole Foods Market always seems to have a nice Thanksgiving option. Yes, expensive, but I think most here would admit it's better quality.

If expense is of no concern, or just want certain side options, the Flour Bakery Cafe chain always has lots of interesting and unique sides and desserts. Not sure if they prepare turkey, though. I picked up a nice flyer advertising it in one of their store just last week. Check the website. I think orders must be placed by that Sunday for pickup In the next few days.

The Thinking Cup cafes downtown have had pie for order for Thanksgiving in the past. Of course, many local bakeries also will have special pies.

Mike's Pastry in the North End is actually open Thanksgiving, at least in the morning, and the Bruins have traditionally ordered dozens of pies from them then had a player deliver them to downtown homeless shelters.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:43 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'll admit, some Vegan foods taste great.

However..my Turkey will be authentic.

I hope that one day you will want to avoid paying someone to kill a sentient being, a being who fights to their last moment to live, who doesn't volunteer their lives for us and who you want to eat only because it "tastes good". But this has to come from within. I didn't feel "able" to do it for years and now I regret it. I believe that all animals have the right to their own bodies and lives, not just humans. We are the ones who do things to other animals when we don't even need to. It's really sad.

The Truth About Thanksgiving

Old 11-16-2020, 12:51 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I hope that one day you will want to avoid paying someone to kill a sentient being, a being who fights to their last moment to live, who doesn't volunteer their lives for us and who you want to eat only because it "tastes good". But this has to come from within. I didn't feel "able" to do it for years and now I regret it. I believe that all animals have the right to their own bodies and lives, not just humans. We are the ones who do things to other animals when we don't even need to. It's really sad.

The Truth About Thanksgiving
Not the time and place Martha. OP asked where you can get a Thanksgiving turkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts