Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 11,696 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher and my girlfriend is looking to work in Human Resources. Needless to say, we don't have a lot of money for housing. We are looking for a place where I can teach without the fear of my students caring that I'm a lesbian. Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 06:39 AM

8 posts, read 51,587 times
Massachusetts is a fairly liberal state.

There will always be biggots anywhere - but for the most part they keep quiet.
I'm assuming you want to move to MA so that you and your partner can legally marry if you choose to do so. My partner and I have been together for 16 years. We were both born and raised here in MA. We got out marriage license on 5/17/04 and we were legally married on 5/30/04.

Housing is expensive whether you choose to rent or buy. However, right now it's a buyer's market here - so, if you want to buy - now would be the time. Renting can cost you almost as much as a morthage so why not buy if you can...
Avoid towns in and around Plymouth, MA - in the LGB community - that area has a reputation of being very biggoted. We experienced it ourselves one night at dinner with friends in a Plymouth restaurant.

Some affordable towns: N. Attleboro, S. Attleboro, Attleboro, Plainville, Norton - or most anywhere in Southern MA. close to the Rhode Island line.
Check out some real estate websites to get an idea of pricing in these areas.
You didn't say where you are live now - but taking a trip to MA to check out some towns would really help you decide on where to settle down.

Jobs can be hard to find in MA --- I would make sure at least one of you has something secured before you make the move. Keep in mind - if you relocate to a town in Southern MA - you can look for work in Rhode Island as well.
I wouldn't worry about students caring about your sexuality. At work you're their teacher - not their friend - what you do on your own time is not something that any teacher should be discuss with the kids. Have you had problems in the past?
I don't know what grade you teach but I would think the lower grades here would be
more interested in recess than anything their teacher does at home.

If you're having a hard time fitting in where you currently live - Massachusetts will probably be much better. Most people here really don't seem to care at all if you're gay or not. We have Provincetown too! A great -mostly gay/lesbian place to spend some time during the Summer - it can get pretty crazy there in the Summer! Depending on where you settle in MA. Ptown can be just a day trip - or a whole weekend trip.

Good luck
Please post again when you decide where you want to go.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:28 PM

104 posts, read 260,065 times
Hello...

This is Mass. Not a very big deal here. I mean dont cram it down anyone's throat... but if you noticed we happen to be on your side here. Well most of us. And Im a straight guy.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,911 times
You might want to look into the Northampton, MA area. There seems to be a decent amount of jobs available within the local area....and Northampton is def. lesbian friendly to say the least.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:42 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
I second the sentiment that at least one of you should find a job before moving...my former neighbor had a struggle finding a teaching job in a public school and you may face a similar struggle. It's an expensive enough state with a job, I can't imagine what it would be like while looking. Where you are able to find work (or your partner) will probably do a good job of narrowing down the particular area you should look to live. It would be a shame to fall in love with Northampton but only be able to find a job in Salem.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 11,696 times
I really appreciate all of your responses. Exit14, I LOVED your comments. Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I live in Florida and have had an experience with needing to keep my private life "private" to the extreme. Let me say, in the class rom I don't give any information about my life. My question is when we are out to dinner, do I have to hide? I understand that there is ignorance everywhere and you are absolutely correct, I'm trying to get away from that. We are hoping to get married someday and we definitely plan on making MA our future home. Thank you all for the information.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:15 PM

304 posts, read 774,235 times
This is Massachusetts - I woul dnot worry about moving here. Everyone I have met has seemed incredibly tolerant. You can even get married when you come here! We are on your side!!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:07 AM

151 posts, read 785,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit14 View Post
Massachusetts is a fairly liberal state.

There will always be biggots anywhere - but for the most part they keep quiet.
I'm assuming you want to move to MA so that you and your partner can legally marry if you choose to do so. My partner and I have been together for 16 years. We were both born and raised here in MA. We got out marriage license on 5/17/04 and we were legally married on 5/30/04.

Housing is expensive whether you choose to rent or buy. However, right now it's a buyer's market here - so, if you want to buy - now would be the time. Renting can cost you almost as much as a morthage so why not buy if you can...
Avoid towns in and around Plymouth, MA - in the LGB community - that area has a reputation of being very biggoted. We experienced it ourselves one night at dinner with friends in a Plymouth restaurant.

Some affordable towns: N. Attleboro, S. Attleboro, Attleboro, Plainville, Norton - or most anywhere in Southern MA. close to the Rhode Island line.
Check out some real estate websites to get an idea of pricing in these areas.
You didn't say where you are live now - but taking a trip to MA to check out some towns would really help you decide on where to settle down.

Jobs can be hard to find in MA --- I would make sure at least one of you has something secured before you make the move. Keep in mind - if you relocate to a town in Southern MA - you can look for work in Rhode Island as well.
I wouldn't worry about students caring about your sexuality. At work you're their teacher - not their friend - what you do on your own time is not something that any teacher should be discuss with the kids. Have you had problems in the past?
I don't know what grade you teach but I would think the lower grades here would be
more interested in recess than anything their teacher does at home.

If you're having a hard time fitting in where you currently live - Massachusetts will probably be much better. Most people here really don't seem to care at all if you're gay or not. We have Provincetown too! A great -mostly gay/lesbian place to spend some time during the Summer - it can get pretty crazy there in the Summer! Depending on where you settle in MA. Ptown can be just a day trip - or a whole weekend trip.

Good luck
Please post again when you decide where you want to go.
I've read the South End and Jamaica Plain are homosexual friendly neighborhoods. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they the two gayest neighborhoods in Boston?

FYI-I'm straight.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:28 PM

151 posts, read 785,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scs4mnm View Post
I am a teacher and my girlfriend is looking to work in Human Resources. Needless to say, we don't have a lot of money for housing. We are looking for a place where I can teach without the fear of my students caring that I'm a lesbian. Any help is appreciated!
If you want, you don't have to relocate, because you can marry in California, still be a resident of the current state your living in, and still have your current state recognize the marriage you got in California

Old 01-30-2009, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,293 times
Default Plymouth is a nice town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit14 View Post
[FONT=Georgia]Massachusetts is a fairly liberal state.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia]There will always be biggots anywhere - but for the most part they keep quiet.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia]I'm assuming you want to move to MA so that you and your partner can legally marry if you choose to do so. My partner and I have been together for 16 years. We were both born and raised here in MA. We got out marriage license on 5/17/04 and we were legally married on 5/30/04. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia]Housing is expensive whether you choose to rent or buy. However, right now it's a buyer's market here - so, if you want to buy - now would be the time. Renting can cost you almost as much as a morthage so why not buy if you can...[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia]Avoid towns in and around Plymouth, MA - in the LGB community - that area has a reputation of being very biggoted. We experienced it ourselves one night at dinner with friends in a Plymouth restaurant. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia]Some affordable towns: N. Attleboro, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia]S. Attleboro, Attleboro, Plainville, Norton - or most anywhere in Southern MA. close to the Rhode Island line. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia]Check out some real estate websites to get an idea of pricing in these areas.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia]You didn't say where you are live now - but taking a trip to MA to check out some towns would really help you decide on where to settle down.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia]Jobs can be hard to find in MA --- I would make sure at least one of you has something secured before you make the move. Keep in mind - if you relocate to a town in Southern MA - you can look for work in Rhode Island as well. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia]I wouldn't worry about students caring about your sexuality. At work you're their teacher - not their friend - what you do on your own time is not something that any teacher should be discuss with the kids. Have you had problems in the past?[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia]I don't know what grade you teach but I would think the lower grades here would be[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia]more interested in recess than anything their teacher does at home.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia]If you're having a hard time fitting in where you currently live - Massachusetts will probably be much better. Most people here really don't seem to care at all if you're gay or not. [/FONT][FONT=Georgia]We have Provincetown too! A great -mostly gay/lesbian place to spend some time during the Summer - it can get pretty crazy there in the Summer! Depending on where you settle in MA. Ptown can be just a day trip - or a whole weekend trip.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia]Good luck [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia]Please post again when you decide where you want to go. [/FONT]

I have to disagree about Plymouth being a bigoted town. It sounds like Exit 14 had a really bad experience and that is truly unfortunate. It embarrasses me a resident of Plymouth. Plymouth is a "no place for hate" community. check this link [URL="http://www.plymouthnoplaceforhate.org/"]Plymouth No Place For Hate[/URL].

I have lived here most of my life. I am also a lesbian and a teacher here in town. I have not experienced any negative experiences here related to being gay.

As a teacher, most of my co-workers know I am gay and don't have a problem with it. Those who don't know it is only because I am not close enough to discuss any part of my non-school life with them. There are other gay / lesbian teachers here. Some are married and have declared that to the school department so they could get health insurance, etc. for their partner. I do not discuss my sexuality with parents of my students but I wouldn't if I were straight either. I have been seen out and about with my girlfriend and the sky didn't fall. Over the years, I have had several students in school who had same sex parents. These parents were welcomed in the school as any other parents are. It really isn't a big deal here.

As much as I feel badly about Exit 14's experience, I do not think it is fair to categorize the whole town as bigoted. Massachusetts is a pretty liberal state when it comes to gay people. While there are still plenty of bigots to go around, most people simply don't care who is gay, because it doesn't affect them. It is illegal in Massachusetts to discriminate in employment based on sexuality. If you haven't already moved or made a decision, I'd suggest coming to the area and getting a feel for some different places here. Personally, I think Plymouth is a pretty good place to live and work. Good luck with whatever you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts