Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2022, 03:38 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

So Brockton, Easton and Raynham are the South Shore now? Can that tired old rag find any more ways to embarrass itself???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 03:40 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
So Brockton, Easton and Raynham are the South Shore now? Can that tired old rag find any more ways to embarrass itself???
Black people call that the south shore and have for a long time. Anything south of Boston that’s not the cape or right next to Providence is the south shore because it lack a different name.

Not embarrassing- everyone I know in Randolph calls it the south shore. The context clue of simply being black means when they say south shore it’s implied we’re not asking about Duxbury or Hingham.

Old 05-08-2022, 03:46 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Black people call that the south shore and have for a long time. Anything south of Boston that’s not the cape or right next to Providence is the south shore because it lack a different name.

Not embarrassing- everyone I know in Randolph calls it the south shore. The context clue of simply being black means when they say south shore it’s implied we’re not asking about Duxbury or Hingham.

Holbrook is the only town mentioned there that sometimes overlaps with the South Shore, maaybe (very occasionally) Randolph. The towns further down 24 (and especially west of it), no way. Those people must be new to the Boston area.

Old 05-08-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Holbrook is the only town mentioned there that sometimes overlaps with the South Shore, maaybe (very occasionally) Randolph. The towns further down 24, no way. Those people must be new to the Boston area.
Well Milton Valencia certainly isn’t new to the area lol. and everyone he interviewed was a lifelong resident of Boston or Brockton, says so in the article. I just explained to you why it’s called the south shore. So let’s just move on.

What’s interesting is the Raynhams Eastons Bridgewaters of the area will be next as they all have mortgage rate to black borrowers well above the 5% state average. I think Boston will continue its Asian and Hispanic population increase, and the black population will state more or less or a slow decline- depending on who you include as black.. White people will still move in but probably slower than last decade IMO.

It’s good from the desegregation of the area in my opinion.

Old 05-08-2022, 06:09 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This thread is called real estate observations right? This is a front page story on real estate in the Boston globe.
Globe, but of course! As I was saying, gotta hustle the hustle, numbers be damned!

Old 05-08-2022, 07:59 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
It’s not like they have competent staff beyond the sports page. It’s day old New York Times content.

Old 05-08-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It’s not like they have competent staff beyond the sports page. It’s day old New York Times content.
Hate to break it to you but this story isn’t from the New York Times.

What’s more there’s no agreed upon definition of the south shore. There’s no official definition.
What’s more is the “south shore” is a direct quote from one of the subjects in the piece.
What’s more is the residents who are the topic of this article call it that area the south shore, as do I.
What’s more, is no one’s new to the state so we’re all familiar with the pre-existing terminology.

Don’t blame the Globe though- gotta go pick a bone with all the black people from Roxbury to Taunton who’ve been calling it all the south shore for 2 decades now.

Fwiw I’ve proposed the term MetroSouth (after the Metro South Chamber of Commerce, headquartered in Brockton). Or ‘the 24 Corridor’ after Route 24, mentioned in the story.

Old 05-09-2022, 05:42 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
I think a lot of people need clarity on what towns actually make up the south shore. Not sure how Brockton or Holbrook are south shore but Milton and Braintree are not.

Old 05-09-2022, 06:41 AM

257 posts, read 257,597 times
I feel like I’ve heard a different name for this region. South Shore is really stretching it.

Old 05-09-2022, 06:55 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
As someone who’s never lived south of Boston, I always assumed that the South Shore was synonymous with Plymouth County. I think that’s vaguely true of the North Shore and Essex County if you maybe subtract out the Merrimack cities and their suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts