U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 08:43 AM

3,590 posts, read 2,138,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Just to add, with EV slated for the future, a Level 2, 220V charger can possibly draw up to 80 amps. You figure two EV's in the garage being charged at night and your standard 200A service that most homes these days now get might not cut it if there is additional electrical load, especially if one is running the AC at night, or doing a load of laundry with a 220V dryer.

Might mean we start seeing 400A services pop up in new builds?
I follow quite a few local architects/builders on social media and 400amp seems to be the current standard with higher end custom builds. Rather unsurprisingly, the majority of these homes have heat pumps, EV charging, soaking pools/hot tubs, etc. In the context of MA trade labor, upgrading to 400amp isn't a particularly costly equipment upgrade ... as you are aware.

My own 200amp panel is more or less approaching max load ... given that the feed is 600ft+ underground I will 'suffer' with 20-30amp EV charging to avoid a service upgrade. My wife's 50amp kiln is killing me load wise.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 05-14-2021 at 08:54 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 09:34 AM

6,168 posts, read 5,461,284 times
I'm wondering though about how many "smart" devices add up for an electric bill. I'm sure the bandwith isn't an issue but if we keep connecting more. I can see more automation. Roomba like lawnmowers and snowblowers/throwers, more heated driveways and roofs for snow. We're in a more golden age of smart devices and frankly we're not going to have as much for competing formats, at least on hardware

https://www.engadget.com/chip-rebran...221410229.html

There's always updates in terms of Bluetooth, Wifi and of course 5G and even 6G on the horizon. I can see small drones helping with gardening or tree trimming (ever see the 80s movie batteries not included?). Power demands will keep going up

Old 05-14-2021, 10:33 AM

28 posts, read 19,833 times
The incremental load of new smart devices is probably a lot less than the power consumed by older technology being retired. Think about how many 60W- 100W bulbs have been replaced with <10W LED equivalents. Same is true for household electronics.

Heat pumps, EV chargers, 240V appliances and whatever luxuries might accompany a high end build (pool, hot tub, etc) are what will drive an increase from 200A -> 400A service.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:40 AM

6,683 posts, read 3,810,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclel View Post
Perhaps not surprisingly, this transaction has caught the neighbors attention. “Jeez, perhaps my house is worth twice as much as I thought it was! Let me hire the same agent to see if he can sprinkle some magic dust over my house too”. The folks who sold for half the price a few months ago must be tearing their hair out!

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Sudbury/32...m_content=link
When you look at long term history, both houses sold when new in 2006-2008 for $2.6 million. The current for sale house sold in 5/06 for $2.6 million by a trust and then transferred for $1 to someone to someone who took a $1.5 million loan in 10/06. She then sold it for $1.6 million to the current owners in 2010 who are selling it now for $3.3 million. A little over a 100% gain over 10 years in greater Boston real estate isn't out of the question.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:51 AM

6,166 posts, read 2,312,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
When you look at long term history, both houses sold when new in 2006-2008 for $2.6 million. The current for sale house sold in 5/06 for $2.6 million by a trust and then transferred for $1 to someone to someone who took a $1.5 million loan in 10/06. She then sold it for $1.6 million to the current owners in 2010 who are selling it now for $3.3 million. A little over a 100% gain over 10 years in greater Boston real estate isn't out of the question.
The 277k home my cousin bought in 2009, just 6 minutes from Boston... was sold by them in 2018 for 555k , and now is on the market (or pending..) for 649, probably went way over asking. Bostons market increased by 45% to 200% in tat time frame. wish my 12 year old ass bought back then

Old 05-14-2021, 10:52 AM

6,683 posts, read 3,810,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Just to add, with EV slated for the future, a Level 2, 220V charger can possibly draw up to 80 amps. You figure two EV's in the garage being charged at night and your standard 200A service that most homes these days now get might not cut it if there is additional electrical load, especially if one is running the AC at night, or doing a load of laundry with a 220V dryer.

Might mean we start seeing 400A services pop up in new builds?
There are smart devices on the market to deal with two 220V devices sharing a circuit. One can have two EV's plugged in and it will determine the best way to charge them. If one car is close to depleted and the second is at a higher level, it will give car 1 all the juice until it reaches a point where it will split the power equally. Another can have a dryer and an EV share a circuit. Power will go to the EV until it's needed for the dryer and will return power to the car when the dryer is done.

Multiple 200A services coming into very large builds are common now. Pool heaters, heat pumps, mini split AC, hot tubs, garage lifts, etc. are all drawing tons of power.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:13 PM

12 posts, read 4,873 times
Last year we saw a market divergence in renting vs. buying caused by temporary but painful economic forces related to the pandemic. Remote learning wiped out the student population and record low interest rates pushed many into buying in the suburbs. If you're looking to buy, don't wait. The rates have nowhere but to go up with inflation and there's already a record short supply of homes for sale in Mass.

The rental market took a beating last year thanks to COVID and remote learning, and rent prices are down in most of Boston's premium neighborhoods due to soaring vacancies. Students will be back in the fall of 2021 so look for the apartment supply glut to slowly get absorbed over the summer.

Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM

3,097 posts, read 957,499 times
Well for 549k you can have all this in Hyde Park:

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Hyde-Park/...9uX251bWJlcj0w

Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM

14,799 posts, read 10,983,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Well for 549k you can have all this in Hyde Park:

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Hyde-Park/...9uX251bWJlcj0w

Disgrace.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM

3,097 posts, read 957,499 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Disgrace.
Yep, i'm not sure how this is even ok...i guess no one out there really has the authority to bring down the prices. If the demand is there someone will buy it. They dont even show the inside so it's obviously awful. Hard to imagine someone would want to take 545k and buy that place just to spend more to upgrade it in a place like Hyde park. Seems like people have money falling out of their pockets these days though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts