Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2021, 11:13 AM

728 posts, read 974,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’m really thinking of the black and Latino youth that make up the majority of the kids in those cities. Cambridge and Boston are more or less similar with Cambridge kids being more NYC like/fashionable sort of like Roxbury or South End kids... but not like Dorchester Hyde Park Roslindale East Boston kids.

White kids from Cambridge are more or less suburban or very liberal. White kids from Boston are 1. a lot Rarer. But 2. More Mark Wahlbergy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 02:54 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I don't know why but even though Lawrence does feel grittier, I still kind of feel that it has a better downtown than Lowell. Sure Lowell has Middlesex Community College and the National Historic Park but its downtown is boring and lifeless. There are fewer retail shops than Lawrence and less character not to mention a lot more homeless wandering about. Lawrence's downtown is laid out on a grid, it has nicer looking buildings, more retail, and a colorful Caribbean vibe to it. I feel more like I'm in a city when in Downtown Lawrence than in Downtown Lowell. Lawrence is also closer to I-93 than Lowell so its location is more convenient. It's a tossup to say which is the worse "hood", I guess it depends on specific metrics.
Really? Interesting you'd say that when Lowell has some handsome and intact pre WWI business blocks as well as the various revitalized mill buildings. Maybe Lowell has more an artsy downtown loft scene whereas Essex Street Lawrence has shops for the regular folk who live in Lawrence. Lawrence made the cut for Mass locales used in making the 2019 version of Little Women

Old 01-19-2021, 05:41 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
I’m really thinking of the black and Latino youth that make up the majority of the kids in those cities.
Not in Cambridge: https://www.niche.com/k12/d/cambridg...s-ma/students/

Quote:
Cambridge and Boston are more or less similar with Cambridge kids being more NYC like/fashionable
I disagree and think that Bostonians tend to be more trend-conscious and fashion-conscious. Cambridge people have always been more crunchy and buy-local.

Quote:
White kids from Cambridge are more or less suburban or very liberal. White kids from Boston are 1. a lot Rarer. But 2. More Mark Wahlbergy.
Agree with this.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:04 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Not in Cambridge: https://www.niche.com/k12/d/cambridg...s-ma/students/

I disagree and think that Bostonians tend to be more trend-conscious and fashion-conscious. Cambridge people have always been more crunchy and buy-local.

Agree with this.
1. I was referring to when I was growing up, Prior to saying 2012 the largest group in Cambridge Schools was Boston I think they peaked at about 39% of the district in 2005. See: here

Black/Latino youths from Cambridge are not crunchy. At best theyre Brooklyn hipster-lite.

These are Cambridge kids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzlhuC5rjAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnPZHyCnITI

Old 01-19-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Cambridge people have always been more crunchy and buy-local.
Eh, wouldn't say always. Keep in mind while Cambridge Transplants and their children tend to be crunchy and buy-local (not discounting that some long timers do this as well) there exist another facet of Cambridge that is dying out but not totally gone.

In my experience White (especially those with immigrant parents), Latino and Black kids from Port and North Cambridge (also Mid-Block to a lesser extent) have a "city" flair to them. There is another side of Cambridge that produces kids akin to Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, etc but Cambridge also has another side that produced people like Patrick Ewing (NBA), Traci Bingham (Actress), Chris Ivery (Music Producer), Millyz (Rapper), Skitzofrentiks (90s Rap group).

Of course saying all that, everything we're saying about Cambridge can be said about various parts of NYC (namely Manhattan and Brooklyn). Doesn't hurt that the current mayor of NYC is also a Cambridge kid LOL.

Showing the tracts within Cambridge that still have Black/West Indian folks. There is usually a strong cross-over with immigrant neighborhoods and Latino neighborhoods in these tracts.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atta...1&d=1611107402
Attached Thumbnails
Most North “hood” in the northeast-cambridge-black-population.jpg  

Old 01-21-2021, 11:55 PM

I'll just leave it here. In reality, the answer is BOSTON.

you could put in Lawrence but they're not doing this in Lawrence-they're really not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY-V4n6yRWg

There are videos from all over the city with different gangs of kids. As far as I know this isn't a normal thing in all cities. This is so normal in Boston its disturbing these are (or should be) high schoolers.

IMO Boston Springfield and maybe Brockton are just a different thing entirely from everywhere else in New England that isnt in Connecticut in terms of an urban hood culture. The seriousness of the gunplay is more real and the amount of money particularly being made is unmatched in Boston.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 01-22-2021 at 12:07 AM..

Old 01-22-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Boston Springfield and maybe Brockton are just a different thing entirely from everywhere else in New England that isnt in Connecticut in terms of an urban hood culture. The seriousness of the gunplay is more real and the amount of money particularly being made is unmatched in Boston.
I feel like in this thread we intentionally skipped Boston but it's just facts.

Boston has Mattapan, Roxbury, Dorchester, JP, South End, East Boston and Hyde Park. Plenty of hoods within those areas (Osceola, Franklin Field, OP, Bowdoin-Geneva, Meetinghouse Hill, Lower Roxbury, Cathedral, etc.).

Springfield has Metro Center. McKnight, Six Corners, Belmont Heights, Brightwood and Atwater Park.

Brockton is MUCH smaller but Northside and Southside have plenty of sets running around getting busy.

Lawrence fits the mold as well. After that you have places like Chelsea, parts of Worcester, parts of Lynn, and Pittsfield.

Besides that there aren't any conventional American hoods.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:39 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,136,633 times
Let us not forget this past summer when NOB members were posting YouTube vids under the HSM 'label' with a disclaimer claiming the guns were merely props, then a few months later the Feds nail them with RICO charges. Apparently they weren't 'LARPing' the lifestyle.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
I feel like in this thread we intentionally skipped Boston but it's just facts.

Boston has Mattapan, Roxbury, Dorchester, JP, South End, East Boston and Hyde Park. Plenty of hoods within those areas (Osceola, Franklin Field, OP, Bowdoin-Geneva, Meetinghouse Hill, Lower Roxbury, Cathedral, etc.).

Springfield has Metro Center. McKnight, Six Corners, Belmont Heights, Brightwood and Atwater Park.

Brockton is MUCH smaller but Northside and Southside have plenty of sets running around getting busy.

Lawrence fits the mold as well. After that, you have places like Chelsea, parts of Worcester, parts of Lynn, and Pittsfield.

Besides that there aren't any conventional American hoods.
Lawrence is hood but it really is not producing an environment like the video above. That is something very different and insidious. Gun violence is not a major issue in Lawrence but blight DV drugs and overcrowding are.

Lynn Worcester Pittsfield etc is more of a New England hood and lacks many archetypal traditional elements

Old 01-22-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Let us not forget this past summer when NOB members were posting YouTube vids under the HSM 'label' with a disclaimer claiming the guns were merely props, then a few months later the Feds nail them with RICO charges. Apparently they weren't 'LARPing' the lifestyle.
What crazy is that case the primary defendant, G-Fredo is suspected to have murdered -not shot at- at least 5 people. He is 19 years old.

It is my opion that with the clearing for the SW Corridor ~67, followed by bussing ~74-88, followed by crack ~85-94 Boston has this long period where the social fabric of the inner city was really just being decimated. This along with deep-seated racism both systemic and interpersonal and a huge market in Northern New England to sell to and with no enemies up there...

These things created the culture in these Boston rap videos. If the SW Corridor had never been cleared, if public housing and schools had already been integrated when they were supposed to I think there'd be way more equity, unity, and cohesion in Boston that wouldn't have created the extreme poverty we saw and still do see in RoxDotMat. Because this type of gang culture doesn't exist so flagrantly/brazenly in most cities that I know of Certainly not ones with incomes and demographics like Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts