Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 10:59 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,102,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Yeah the scene one would get at the Dunkin Donuts on Main St. late night circa 2000, has definitely passed (I stopped there on a Friday or Saturday around midnight 10 years later and couldn't believe the difference). But I do know somebody who had a business down there, and said there are still waves of problems (especially property stuff). This was within the last 5 years.
Yeah, it's still a high poverty area which has the associated issues which come with. Not trying to claim otherwise.

The difference is you don't have an informal group trying to 'culturally' claim the entire Main St. by being loud, brash, and generally threatening. It's too mixed these days and the newer property owners, most of whom employ and serve the immediate community, aren't going to tolerate the 'bad actors' to the same degree daytime-only blue-collar industrial owners did. Appearances matter now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 12:36 PM

24,510 posts, read 17,983,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
New Bedford is leaning hood at this point IMO. Its gotta somewhat notable (locally) rap scene/hip hop culture more akin to Brockton than Fall River, albeit smaller. New Bedford is gonna get me of that hood-gentrified dichotomy than Fall River over time.

We had a Weld Square discussion after a shooting recently. Weld Square has been a hooker/junkie disaster since the early 1970s urban renewal bulldozed in Route 18.

Some of the worst projects like "Fort Kempton" were knocked down and replaced. The big change is the Portuguese/Azores multifamily neighborhoods with mostly owner-occupied housing stock have gone Section 8 investor. Blocks that used to be immaculate with grandmothers out with brooms sweeping sidewalks are now really run down. With that kind of ownership model, there's no way those parts of the city will ever come back.

Old 01-06-2021, 01:06 PM

21,428 posts, read 12,419,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Yeah, it's still a high poverty area which has the associated issues which come with. Not trying to claim otherwise.

The difference is you don't have an informal group trying to 'culturally' claim the entire Main St. by being loud, brash, and generally threatening. It's too mixed these days and the newer property owners, most of whom employ and serve the immediate community, aren't going to tolerate the 'bad actors' to the same degree daytime-only blue-collar industrial owners did. Appearances matter now.
Another difference be could be the act that people don't need to or want to be out on the street corners as much as people in inner-city areas did back in 2000. Internet, cell phones, prescription drugs etc. In general street activity is less everywhere.

Old 01-07-2021, 06:47 AM

4,671 posts, read 3,428,044 times
I work in Main South. I don't drive so I take the bus and walk up Main every day. I would never call it a 'hood. Sometimes it vaguely resembles a skid row though. No just kidding.
The vast majority of people I see everyday are the working poor with most of those being Immigrants. They look tired every morning as I pass them at their bus stops or waiting for a car to pick them up. There is definitely some sketchy people in the neighborhood though. They tend towards drug addicted homeless. Although I would never call them harmless they invoke mainly pity and not fear.

If you are not aware then diagonally across from Eastern Boarder is The Ivy Corset Building. The city just approved a dispensary to open on the second floor. It should be interesting.

Old 01-07-2021, 08:54 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,102,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Another difference be could be the act that people don't need to or want to be out on the street corners as much as people in inner-city areas did back in 2000. Internet, cell phones, prescription drugs etc. In general street activity is less everywhere.
Yeah, this an interesting tech/social transition point which I'm not really accounting for. During the same period, my white suburban peers were also 'in the streets' away from the tyranny (intentional hyperbole here) of our bored semi-rural PDs.

A lot have changed in two decades.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:17 AM

21,428 posts, read 12,419,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Yeah, this an interesting tech/social transition point which I'm not really accounting for. During the same period, my white suburban peers were also 'in the streets' away from the tyranny (intentional hyperbole here) of our bored semi-rural PDs.

A lot have changed in two decades.
It was only like 2007/2008 when you'd be out and people would be out too just at the park with friends or walking around because entertainment wasn't as accessible and omnipresent. When people were out they'd be heads up because there wasn't anything on your phone to be looking at. 'Texters' were kind of considered sort of young/weird/disassociative. Everyone shopped in person with only occasional purchases online, more likely for something rather serious than frivolous. You had to go to places to make things happen.

Old 01-07-2021, 12:32 PM

23,087 posts, read 18,235,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I work in Main South. I don't drive so I take the bus and walk up Main every day. I would never call it a 'hood. Sometimes it vaguely resembles a skid row though. No just kidding.
Chandler St. is skid row hahaha.

Old 01-07-2021, 12:39 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,317,457 times
Quote:
Chandler St. is skid row hahaha.
Not sure what he is talking about either.

I am on Chandler st. pretty often and I have never once felt uncomfortable, let alone in danger. Not sure I have ever seen homeless tents either.

Old 01-07-2021, 12:49 PM

23,087 posts, read 18,235,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Not sure what he is talking about either.

I am on Chandler st. pretty often and I have never once felt uncomfortable, let alone in danger. Not sure I have ever seen homeless tents either.

You must have seen all the strung out junkies, how could you not?

Old 01-07-2021, 12:59 PM

4,671 posts, read 3,428,044 times
Quote:
You must have seen all the strung out junkies, how could you not?
Depends on which part of Chandler. The lower half past Park Street has a huge population of addicts and homeless. The shelter is right off of there on Queen St. My kids are forbidden from even thinking about going down to that part of Chandler.

They sleep in the doorways of some the buildings and hang out in groups on the park benches. I am a lot more nervous as a short woman on Chandler then down in Main South.

There are some bright spots down there though. I really like Big Boi Meat Market. I also used to like bringing the family, pre pandemic, to the backroom of Suney's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts