U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2021, 06:58 PM

10,070 posts, read 3,949,921 times

Advertisements

As far as I know and from living in Milton in the past. It's small enough that you're gonna go all over the town. While it is mostly divided East and West, most of West Milton is only settled to the North. (SW Milton is mostly just woods) And if you live in Northern Milton you're gonna move around Hyde Park, Mattapan, Lower Mills, Braintree, and Quincy alot- all of them.

It's insane to claim superiority by being adjacent to Quincy and Dorchester lmao.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 07:31 PM

618 posts, read 732,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
As far as I know and from living in Milton in the past. It's small enough that you're gonna go all over the town. While it is mostly divided East and West, most of West Milton is only settled to the North. (SW Milton is mostly just woods) And if you live in Northern Milton you're gonna move around Hyde Park, Mattapan, Lower Mills, Braintree, and Quincy alot- all of them.

It's insane to claim superiority by being adjacent to Quincy and Dorchester lmao.
LOL, I think it's the part of Dorchester that counts in this instance. That's like the middle of the "Boston Irish" stretch that goes from Southie down Route 3/3A (Southie, East of Dot Ave, East Milton, Quincy, Braintree, Weymouth, Hingham, etc.) into the Cape.

Which is very different from West Milton which is in the middle of the "Black Boston" stretch that aligns with Route 28 (South End, Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan, West Milton, Randolph, Brockton) and Route 138 (West Milton, Canton, Stoughton, Easton).

Milton has a very interesting composition of people and somehow the State Routes have a huge influence on it. Albeit a small town, you do see this separation in other facets of life. For example the ever popular "neighborhood schools".

The Tucker in West Milton was 37.9% Black. The other elementary schools: Cunningham 5.3% Black, Collicot 2.8% Black, Glover 5.5% Black. The middle school Pierce was 13.2% Black (which pretty much the district average of 13.1%). Milton High was 17.3% Black.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
LOL, I think it's the part of Dorchester that counts in this instance. That's like the middle of the "Boston Irish" stretch that goes from Southie down Route 3/3A (Southie, East of Dot Ave, East Milton, Quincy, Braintree, Weymouth, Hingham, etc.) into the Cape.

Which is very different from West Milton which is in the middle of the "Black Boston" stretch that aligns with Route 28 (South End, Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan, West Milton, Randolph, Brockton) and Route 138 (West Milton, Canton, Stoughton, Easton).

Milton has a very interesting composition of people and somehow the State Routes have a huge influence on it. Albeit a small town, you do see this separation in other facets of life. For example the ever popular "neighborhood schools".

The Tucker in West Milton was 37.9% Black. The other elementary schools: Cunningham 5.3% Black, Collicot 2.8% Black, Glover 5.5% Black. The middle school Pierce was 13.2% Black (which pretty much the district average of 13.1%). Milton High was 17.3% Black.
What I don't understand about Milton is how has it gone from a 22% black district to a 13.1% black district while going from 12% black to 15% black?

How is it the only school district in the state that less black than its populous? Are that many black kids in Milton in private school or Blue Hills Vocational Technical?

Old 01-19-2021, 07:51 PM

3,198 posts, read 1,877,424 times
Quote:
What I don't understand about Milton is how has it gone from a 22% black district to a 13.1% black district while going from 12% black to 15% black?

How is it the only school district in the state that less black than its populous? Are that many black kids in Milton in private school or Blue Hills Vocational Technical?
What’s the median age in town? Perhaps children have aged out of the district, but they and their parents are still living at home in multi-gen households.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
What’s the median age in town? Perhaps children have aged out of the district, but they and their parents are still living at home in multi-gen households.
39.5, identical to the MA state average. https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...725-milton-ma/

Old 01-19-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:

According to ACS there seems to be an increase within CT 4162 for private school enrollment. 20.8% in 2010, 33% in 2014. Unable to get the statistics after that though.

Source: https://data.census.gov/cedsci/map?q...&mode=thematic

Anecdotally though I know a number of families that send their kids to Fontbonne, BC High, Academy of the Pacific Rim, South Shore Charter, Blue Hills Voc Tech (GO WARRIORS!), local Catholic school (Pope JP Mattapan/Neponset, Trinity, Epiphany, St. Mary of the Hills). Not to mention Milton Academy, Archies, Catholic schools in Malden/Cambridge. This happens throughout the Route 28 belt though, especially in West Milton, HP and Randolph.

I think the answer is somewhere between Private, Vocational (only two for Milton if counting Norfolk Aggie) and Charter schools.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
According to ACS there seems to be an increase within CT 4162 for private school enrollment. 20.8% in 2010, 33% in 2014. Unable to get the statistics after that though.

Source: https://data.census.gov/cedsci/map?q...&mode=thematic

Anecdotally though I know a number of families that send their kids to Fontbonne, BC High, Academy of the Pacific Rim, South Shore Charter, Blue Hills Voc Tech (GO WARRIORS!), local Catholic school (Pope JP Mattapan/Neponset, Trinity, Epiphany, St. Mary of the Hills). Not to mention Milton Academy, Archies, Catholic schools in Malden/Cambridge. This happens throughout the Route 28 belt though, especially in West Milton, HP and Randolph.

I think the answer is somewhere between Private, Vocational (only two for Milton if counting Norfolk Aggie) and Charter schools.
Why would you do this if you live in Milton though? they're good schools. Unless your kid enrolled before moving to Milton... I hear about these options more in Hyde Park, Randolph, and Stoughton but I've been out of the Milton loop for a while. And back then I felt there was a lot of black parent investment in the Milton Public Schools, but I was just a teen.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Why would you do this if you live in Milton though? they're good schools. Unless your kid enrolled before moving to Milton... I hear about these options more in Hyde Park, Randolph, and Stoughton but I've been out of the Milton loop for a while. And back then I felt there was a lot of black parent investment in the Milton Public Schools, but I was just a teen.
Can't seem to find Charter School data but that might align. Charter schools have this strange pull on the minority communities of Metro Boston. I don't mind them myself but would prefer to see improved general public schools in many places instead.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:36 PM

1,526 posts, read 418,745 times
I've heard that the Milton schools have become very crowded.

https://www.miltonscene.com/2018/07/...-overcrowding/

This article is from 2018 but the situation hasn't improved. Because of this maybe more people did decide to enroll their kids in private schools.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:08 PM

3,198 posts, read 1,877,424 times
Quote:
I do often wonder the same. Why pay for an upper tier school district only to the send your child to a private school with potentially unqualified performance data?

In my relatively white sphere, it was almost always in issue of tradition and not necessarily rational behavior. The Asian/European MDs in town happily sent their children to the very good public schools. William attended St. John’s because his father did (also, girls are distracting). The outliers were as you you state ... started in private schools within a poor performing district (e.g., Worcester), then the family moves to a better performing district (e.g., Shrewsbury) ... older brother finishes out last 3 years at St. John’s and younger siblings attend Shrewsbury High because, well, why pay taxes AND tuition when your district is elite within a national context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts