U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-18-2021, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Hyde Park, MA
618 posts, read 732,610 times
Reputation: 660

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yall really think Randolph is some ghetto.

I grew up in this general area:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1504...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1626...7i16384!8i8192

Randolph isnt the best kept up, but in the late 50s to 70s it was one of the wealthiest towns in MA, so it keeps some of its good looks and charm. Its still a great place for Middle Class Black Families.
Perception is a hell of a thing. As a Randolph property owner, it's quite something to see. The town (City) has to establish a stronger commercial and industrial base but our other vitals have been trending up. Schools are getting better, Housing value has been increasing, we do have new construction. It's been a decent last few years.

Albeit someone followed home a small business owner from Boston to their home in Randolph last week and shot at them on my street. Not ideal but things like that have happened in Milton as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2021, 10:10 AM
 
648 posts, read 201,673 times
Reputation: 518
Not much different than the inflammatory comments from those who do not tolerate criticism of hard leftism (more often than not described by the euphemism progressive). There is plenty of intolerance to go around here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2021, 10:15 AM
 
3,198 posts, read 1,877,424 times
Reputation: 2978
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Not much different than the reactionary and inflammatory comments from those who have no tolerance for criticism of heard leftism disguised as liberalism.
You’ll notice I’m making an attempt to inform, not simply s___ post in a state sub which I don’t even live in.

And this *is* my problem with you. Defending overt bad acting because “leftmcarthyism” is certainly our biggest problem as a society.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2021, 10:18 AM
 
648 posts, read 201,673 times
Reputation: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
You’ll notice I’m making an attempt to inform, not simply s___ post in a state sub which I don’t even live in.

And this *is* my problem with you. Defending overt bad acting because “leftmcarthyism” is certainly our biggest problem as a society.
Any problems you have, are yours. Your own generalizations and mis-characterizations of others speak volumes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2021, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Baltimore
10,070 posts, read 3,949,921 times
Reputation: 5592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdogmom23 View Post
I want my kids to see black professionals and understand that it's possible to achieve those goals. I don't want the only black professionals they see to be their parents. The income was an example of what I meant by affluent.
Ignore her. she’s the resident troll on equity issues.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2021, 11:19 AM
 
648 posts, read 201,673 times
Reputation: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Review your comment some pages back and ask yourself whether Ben Young ought to debate white identity in the politics sub forum ... and not in this thread.

You inability to hold any right-winger accountable to the same standards you hold perceived left-learners is a rather large tell. We can agree to disagree on this issue.
Review my comments to Dadschum above. The biggest difference between you and I is that I generally try to address the point of disagreement with an opposing argument of my own rather than launch a smear on my opponent. Like all humans, I'm subject to mistakes and when I do I try to correct them.
If I happen to reference my opinions about a political philosophy that you disagree with, that's your problem that you took personally, not mine. In contrast, your general MO is not to engage the ideas with which you disagree but try to discredit the person or their opinion. Or you engage on the idea and when it doesn't work out for you, then the personal smear begins because you need to have full agreement or you're just not satisfied. And the mere fact that I don't immediately engage with everyone you think I should, so I can establish my worth to you, doesn't mean I want to or am obligated to to follow your tactics and instigate a battle with everyone with whom I disagree. That's not an inability to do anything, but satisfy your whims. I don't care about your whims. Stop labeling other people and worry about putting forth your own beliefs. Pretty much everything you attack others about, are things you do yourself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2021, 07:39 AM
 
Location: North Andover
520 posts, read 496,148 times
Reputation: 555
I agree regarding Milton. Definitely check the town out
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2021, 08:26 AM
 
3,198 posts, read 1,877,424 times
Reputation: 2978
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Review my comments to Dadschum above. The biggest difference between you and I is that I generally try to address the point of disagreement with an opposing argument of my own rather than launch a smear on my opponent. Like all humans, I'm subject to mistakes and when I do I try to correct them.
If I happen to reference my opinions about a political philosophy that you disagree with, that's your problem that you took personally, not mine. In contrast, your general MO is not to engage the ideas with which you disagree but try to discredit the person or their opinion. Or you engage on the idea and when it doesn't work out for you, then the personal smear begins because you need to have full agreement or you're just not satisfied. And the mere fact that I don't immediately engage with everyone you think I should, so I can establish my worth to you, doesn't mean I want to or am obligated to to follow your tactics and instigate a battle with everyone with whom I disagree. That's not an inability to do anything, but satisfy your whims. I don't care about your whims. Stop labeling other people and worry about putting forth your own beliefs. Pretty much everything you attack others about, are things you do yourself.
It’s a fair critique. There are a handful of users on here, past and present, who have strong political grievances and view every legitimate racial inquiry as a personal attack on their identity. They are seemingly not interested in engaging critical discussion or choosing the appropriate channels to do so.

For these handful of posters, yes I do seek to strong rebuke or discredit their use of this sub forum to spread what I view is deeply authoritarian/right-wing white nationalist behavior ... enjoying their monolithic white insular community while actively discrediting posters who desire a *sliver* of racial and economic sameness. It very much is “I got mine, f’ you” behavior and to me that is very illiberal thinking.

I’m not going to claim any ethical high ground here because I can’t. I’m applying pitchforks to perceived pitchforks ... hopefully we don’t burn down the whole town in the process.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2021, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Baltimore
10,070 posts, read 3,949,921 times
Reputation: 5592
Good point Shrewsburried. Luckily, it’s really hard to sneak racism by a black person. By virtue of just by being an adult we’ve pretty much seen all the doublespeak and the tricks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2021, 10:29 AM
 
Location: East Boston, MA
9,688 posts, read 17,668,330 times
Reputation: 11352
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Perception is a hell of a thing. As a Randolph property owner, it's quite something to see. The town (City) has to establish a stronger commercial and industrial base but our other vitals have been trending up. Schools are getting better, Housing value has been increasing, we do have new construction. It's been a decent last few years.

Albeit someone followed home a small business owner from Boston to their home in Randolph last week and shot at them on my street. Not ideal but things like that have happened in Milton as well.
Relative to the average metro Boston bedroom community, is Randolph's commercial and industrial base really that bad? Without looking at numbers, I'd imagine that the business/industry development along Mazzeo Drive, York Industrial Park, East Randolph Industrial Park, and along 28 would make it better off on that front than many of its peers.

As an outsider, it seems that most of Randolph's bad rap at this point is simply lingering (dated) preconceived notions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top