U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2021, 10:34 AM

13,445 posts, read 10,213,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Relative to the average metro Boston bedroom community, is Randolph's commercial and industrial base really that bad? Without looking at numbers, I'd imagine that the business/industry development along Mazzeo Drive, York Industrial Park, East Randolph Industrial Park, and along 28 would make it better off on that front than many of its peers.

As an outsider, it seems that most of Randolph's bad rap at this point is simply lingering (dated) preconceived notions.
It's definitely better than Holbrook (which has almost nothing for a tax base), but not on the level of Braintree or probably Canton (and both those towns are wealthier to begin with).

It sounds like Randolph has improved a tad in recent years, but it's not "there" yet as far as the schools and stuff are concerned. Probably still below the state average, in contrast to most suburbs of Boston.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 10:58 AM

3,662 posts, read 1,159,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
If discussion of race bothers you, you can easily stay within the white safe space that is NH.
Have Family in MA .also Mass is still in the USA.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:59 AM

3,662 posts, read 1,159,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
So now anyone living in NH is a suspected racist?
It is to some living in Massachusetts

Old 01-19-2021, 11:04 AM

18,454 posts, read 10,392,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

In neighboring Connecticut I would argue Bloomfield would be the place to go.

Nope. Bloomfield is a majority black middle class town. Less than 35% have college degrees. A mediocre school system. A smidge better than Randolph that is being discussed here.

The OP is looking for a town with lots of white collar professionals where there are plenty of black ones who can be role models. I don't think it exists around Boston. I think the best you can do is multi-cultural with lots of white collar professionals. In Hartford, that would be West Hartford. In Boston, maybe Newton.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:08 AM

3,199 posts, read 1,877,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's definitely better than Holbrook (which has almost nothing for a tax base), but not on the level of Braintree or probably Canton (and both those towns are wealthier to begin with).

It sounds like Randolph has improved a tad in recent years, but it's not "there" yet as far as the schools and stuff are concerned. Probably still below the state average, in contrast to most suburbs of Boston.
Randolph has a very poor graduation rate at 77%. For reference, Milton is 94% and the avg SAT scores are a good 100+ points higher. The graduation rate is honestly horrendous so I’m not exactly buying the idea that the schools are leaps and bounds better than prior years.

I agree with Geoff that, aside from Milton which has a small but notable black population, OPs ‘best’ option is likely looking at racial diverse high income towns/neighborhoods and not necessarily ones with large black populations.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:14 AM

61,306 posts, read 79,527,797 times
Like here I assume rather than all rich black people living together- individuals move to a rich white neighborhoods
Black people and white people have much in common -they both like affluent white neighborhoods

Old 01-19-2021, 11:18 AM

3,199 posts, read 1,877,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Like here I assume rather than all rich black people living together- individuals move to a rich white neighborhoods
Black people and white people have much in common -they both like affluent white neighborhoods
*affluent neighborhoods.

One of the most desirable towns/districts in MA is Lexington, which these days has only a 50% white student population. It’s about education level and income, not race.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:36 AM

18,454 posts, read 10,392,857 times
Quote:
I agree with Geoff that, aside from Milton which has a small but notable black population, OPs ‘best’ option is likely looking at racial diverse high income towns/neighborhoods and not necessarily ones with large black populations.

My limited experience with Milton is that the black part is "wrong side of the tracks". My experience is dated but the people I know who are from Milton other than a Milton Academy family with a summer house in my town were Boston Irish white flight.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:43 AM

15,820 posts, read 28,152,585 times
Quote:
*affluent neighborhoods.

One of the most desirable towns/districts in MA is Lexington, which these days has only a 50% white student population. It’s about education level and income, not race.
Isn't the non-white population of Lexington largely Asian/south Asian?

Old 01-19-2021, 11:44 AM

1,527 posts, read 418,745 times
My mom had a black co worker who lived in Dorchester and wanted to move to Milton. She said we want to live where white people live too. I am not sure I believe this given how segregated the Boston area is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts