Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2021, 11:45 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,320,376 times

Advertisements

Self-segregation is a problem in the US, people want to live with people similar to themselves. It's not just income and race, there is politics too. Check how many threads are open in red states by people living in blue states that want to escape the progressives.
It's already a problem and is going to get worse, people become unable to see other perspectives if they don't even know the other perspective exists.

It's very hard to fault any single person though. Rich people tend to share similar interests, so it's kind of normal you may want to hag out with them. Same goes for conservatives, liberals, or whatever it is. It's still a problem from a society standpoint though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 12:00 PM

9,927 posts, read 15,496,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Isn't the non-white population of Lexington largely Asian/south Asian?
Yes.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:01 PM

728 posts, read 967,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Randolph has a very poor graduation rate at 77%. For reference, Milton is 94% and the avg SAT scores are a good 100+ points higher. The graduation rate is honestly horrendous so I’m not exactly buying the idea that the schools are leaps and bounds better than prior years.

I agree with Geoff that, aside from Milton which has a small but notable black population, OPs ‘best’ option is likely looking at racial diverse high income towns/neighborhoods and not necessarily ones with large black populations.
According to the state in 2018 Randolph had a Need Improvement classification. In 2018 partially met targets and since then moderate progress. https://profiles.doe.mass.edu/accoun...pDownOrgCode=2

I'll also add that 4-year graduation rates at RHS (77%) are great to look at but the reality is that a significant portion of kids who use the RPS system before 7th grade (first drop off) and then 9th grade (second drop off) are not considered in this number. I say this as someone who went to RPS for a few years but did not got to RHS and with most of my local family attending RPS up to 7th grade (with a few exceptions).

Old 01-19-2021, 12:09 PM

728 posts, read 967,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My limited experience with Milton is that the black part is "wrong side of the tracks". My experience is dated but the people I know who are from Milton other than a Milton Academy family with a summer house in my town were Boston Irish white flight.
Milton is a very rich town. What we are referring to as the "Black" part is simply the more socio-economically AND racially diverse area of the town. East Milton has a fairly diverse economic population but mostly white. To people in that part of Milton ("Black part"), they are on the good side of "The Ave" referring to Blue Hill Ave. So it's all perspective in my opinion.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:17 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,107,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Isn't the non-white population of Lexington largely Asian/south Asian?
Yes, my point in regards to the other poster was that town/school desirability is not necessarily tied to it being "white". It has far more to do with income, education, and statistical outcomes. Whether or not a desirable community is "white" is largely due to immigration legacy, not because western "whites" create better societies/communities.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:48 PM

21,433 posts, read 12,446,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
*affluent neighborhoods.

One of the most desirable towns/districts in MA is Lexington, which these days has only a 50% white student population. It’s about education level and income, not race.
Less than that Asian and White students each make up 42% of the Lexington school districts. Next year it will be plurality asian https://profiles.doe.mass.edu/profil...orgtypecode=5&

Old 01-19-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Milton is a very rich town. What we are referring to as the "Black" part is simply the more socio-economically AND racially diverse area of the town. East Milton has a fairly diverse economic population but mostly white. To people in that part of Milton ("Black part"), they are on the good side of "The Ave" referring to Blue Hill Ave. So it's all perspective in my opinion.
you mean to people in East Milton they think theyre in the good part of Milton?

All of Milton is nice. All of it. There more socioeconomic diversity on the west side yea but its all lovely and middle class.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:58 PM

15,672 posts, read 7,672,287 times
Milton is definitely not just a white flight town. George Bush sr was born in Milton and grew up there. Lots of non Catholics from Milton who go way back.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Nope. Bloomfield is a majority black middle class town. Less than 35% have college degrees. A mediocre school system. A smidge better than Randolph that is being discussed here.

The OP is looking for a town with lots of white collar professionals where there are plenty of black ones who can be role models. I don't think it exists around Boston. I think the best you can do is multi-cultural with lots of white collar professionals. In Hartford, that would be West Hartford. In Boston, maybe Newton.
But you're literally disregarding the 35% that have college degrees. And the fact that half of all households make more than the median income. Black people aren't expecting All black professionals. Just a community where there are some within a quick drive. Our standards for these type of things unfortunately arent as high and were very accustomed to living in more socioeconomically diverse neighborhoods-even in the blackest of regions.

You cant be buddy-buddy with all of Bloomfield or Randolph. You only need a crew of like 4-6 people, and they each need like 3 people and you've got yourself enough of a social circle.l It's not that deep as people are making it seem because white people have more options and look at numbers differently.

At the end of the day, there a big difference between a town that visibly has black people and has 3-400 black professional families (Stoughton or Dedham) and a town that doesn't have a visible black population at all and has 10-20 black professional families (Boxford or Rowley) ...

Old 01-19-2021, 01:02 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,107,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
you mean to people in East Milton they think theyre in the good part of Milton?

All of Milton is nice. All of it. There more socioeconomic diversity on the west side yea but its all lovely and middle class.
Your input aligns, I believe, with their point ... it's entirely or largely perception. I tend to agree. It's more of a density/housing stock preference, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts