Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 05:25 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Apparently it's ok for black people to ask where other rich black people live. If white people ask about either race and where they reside it's a problem.
People who feel marginalized for one reason or another are likely to seek out the company of those with similar experiences. In this case, they may even feel marginalized by other Blacks as well. It's not uncommon amongst any people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 12:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Medford and Somerville are nice towns and pretty diverse

Old 01-28-2021, 06:44 PM

560 posts, read 751,311 times
Medford isn't bad. West Medford is way less "black" than it was 20y ago

Old 01-28-2021, 11:12 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Apparently it's ok for black people to ask where other rich black people live. If white people ask about either race and where they reside it's a problem.
They really don't need to. Throw a dart at a map of metrowest and it'll probably land on a town with a large affluent white population.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:29 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
People who feel marginalized for one reason or another are likely to seek out the company of those with similar experiences. In this case, they may even feel marginalized by other Blacks as well. It's not uncommon amongst any people.
Kinda but it depends how deep. Way back in the late 90s I was getting my associates. Now I want the only white guy but in many cases I was one of the few Americans. Polish, Russian and Middle Eastern were in classes. Just because I'm quite doesn't mean I have commonality with Europeans. Just as I've met many Haitians and their lives have been much different from those from Africa. With Asian I met a man from Vietnam by way of Canada (French colonialism). Sometimes religion has some unity. Catholic church sure, nation of Islam probably not.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:48 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Kinda but it depends how deep. Way back in the late 90s I was getting my associates. Now I want the only white guy but in many cases I was one of the few Americans. Polish, Russian and Middle Eastern were in classes. Just because I'm quite doesn't mean I have commonality with Europeans. Just as I've met many Haitians and their lives have been much different from those from Africa. With Asian I met a man from Vietnam by way of Canada (French colonialism). Sometimes religion has some unity. Catholic church sure, nation of Islam probably not.
I have absolutely no idea how any of that relates to my point, or the fact that the OP is looking for areas where they may find others like them.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:52 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
James Jette named superintendent of Milton Public Schools.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/01/...outputType=amp

Old 01-29-2021, 09:01 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
Medford isn't bad. West Medford is way less "black" than it was 20y ago
Why the "quotes"?

Old 01-30-2021, 05:35 AM

560 posts, read 751,311 times
Because a town can't be black or white. Why are you trying to psychoanalyze my statement for hidden meanings. Take the statement at face value.

West Medford is being heavily gentrified and for every 5 AA families that leave you would be lucky to get one moving back in. Highly unlikely that trend reverses. To be fair though, I would guess the income of the people moving in is substantially higher than those (of all ethnicities) who leave.

To the OPs original point. There aren't black affluent enclaves like in other major cities. Its a chicken and egg thing. Because it doesn't exist, all the upper middle class AAs I know live spread out. Whatever works for them and their commute etc. If it did exist, I would think that some would move there (not all for sure) which would potentially attract others.

But I would say I think people are much more classist than anything else.

Also i am sure i will get crapped on for this, but $200k-$300k for a new family around here is solidly middle class. Comfortable, but middle class. especially if one is looking to buy a house in this market.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:32 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,060 times
I think some posters are assuming 200k median income towns, which is upper-middle class to elite. That’s Weston, Dover, etc. and the actual working households within are likely well above $200k. Fixed incomes and marginal incomes drag down the median.

If talking individual households I would agree that $200k is middle class. A senior tradesman and public employee could pull that income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts