Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:43 PM

39 posts, read 160,951 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the South Shore and have 3 young kids. We recently added Hanover to our search. Can anyone tell me, if you live there, how you like it - and about the resources for families with young children? I know the YMCA is huge, do many people use the facilities for kids? How is the town recreation? Are you happy with the schools? Any information would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 10:52 AM

45 posts, read 229,343 times
Default Re: Hanover

Hi -

I have lived in Hanover for about 5 years and I find it to be a very nice town. The schools are very good and the town recreation has a lot to offer (cooking classes, babysitting classes, skiing, fencing, a 6 week summer rec program), etc. The Y is excellent and for about $90 a month you can get a family membership that gives you access to the facility, 3 pools, outdoor center (seasonal), 2 hrs of free childcare daily and more. It is a beautiful place and they've just expanded the cardio area into a new section. The town itself can be quiet at times but it has a nice library, good walking trails, easy access to the highway and commuter rails, and some nice shops and restaurants. It is more affordable than Hingham and Norwell but the school systems are up in the same bracket with test scores. One good thing is that this year Boston Magazine highlighted that Hanover is one of the top 4 towns in Massachusetts that had home values increase last year. It is definitely a nice town - oh, if you like horses, there are always horse shows going on in the center of town at Briggs Stables. Check out the Hanover Youth Athletics website (HYAA.org) for more info on sports for kids.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

Katie

Old 05-14-2008, 03:22 PM

39 posts, read 160,951 times
Thanks Katie! I appreciate your response. I visited the Y and loved we, we use our Y here a ton, so was so glad to see such a large one there. Do many of the kids in Hanover go to camp there? My oldest is entering 1st grade and I was hoping he'd meet a few kids before school started- we are likely moving there in August. Any suggestions? I came across the Newcomers Club, which Ill likely check out. Thanks also for the Youth Athletics website, that is so helpful! My 2 younger ones will go to preschool in Hingham I think- its the school I had enrolled them in when we thought we'd end up there. Anyway, thank you again!

Old 05-15-2008, 06:12 AM

Yes, the Y camp does get a lot of kids from Hanover and other towns too. Hanover Park & Rec department also has a summer program but I'm not sure if you will be moving in time to take advantage of that. Check out the town of Hanover website for more info. The Newcomer's Club is great - I have been a member since I moved here. They do playgroups, parties, monthly meetings just for the women and also events for husbands/wives & families. I met so many people when I joined and it was really worth it. I'm running out the door right now and will reply more later -
Katie

Old 06-04-2008, 09:05 PM

Hi - Just wanted to see if you had decided on Hanover. I was looking on here and realized I never sent another response. It is a great town and I would be happy to answer any more questions that you might have.

Hope your search is going well!

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-05-2008 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: personal info.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:14 AM

10 posts, read 75,363 times
Hanover is a great town but they need a new high school. It makes the town look like a ghetto with a high school that is as antiquated as the current Hanover High. I can't believe a town that has some money wouldn't want to invest in the kids!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:11 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrew26 View Post
Hanover is a great town but they need a new high school. It makes the town look like a ghetto with a high school that is as antiquated as the current Hanover High. I can't believe a town that has some money wouldn't want to invest in the kids!
Unfortunately, there are lots of towns in that situation. Wellesley's high school hasn't been remodeled since the early 1970's and possibly even longer. Newton North is a mess. It takes a huge tax overrride and a population base willing to take that on to renovate/build a new high school.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:15 AM

The high school has been approved for state reimbursement and the plan is going to vote in September. It was not approved when it went to vote a few years back by just 18 votes. I believe it will pass this time but one never knows. . .

Old 10-04-2008, 02:23 PM

8 posts, read 38,378 times
I lived in Hanover and loved it there, but it is kind of a snobby place, especially the Cedar School area, which is a good school and so is Center/Sylvester, Hanover Middle School has great teachers and Hanover High School, some people may be snobby but they are still nice. Over all I give Hanover 2

Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 PM

16 posts, read 80,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmh1 View Post
We are relocating to the South Shore and have 3 young kids. We recently added Hanover to our search. Can anyone tell me, if you live there, how you like it - and about the resources for families with young children? I know the YMCA is huge, do many people use the facilities for kids? How is the town recreation? Are you happy with the schools? Any information would be appreciated!
I live in hanover,ma . I don't have any young children but, have a lot of friends with children in the school system. they tell me the schools are great ! the Y has many things for kids as well as adults, many after school programs as well ,Very nice south shore area for families......good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts