Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 07:53 PM

278 posts, read 1,063,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnycakes View Post
The guy who lives across the street from me works for Liberty Mutual in the head office on Berkeley Street in Boston. His wife doesn't know how to mind her own business and gossips about everyone else behind their back. I told her off to her face, complete with F bombs about a year ago. So you probably don't want to move to Ashland since we aren't that friendly.
You and I would probably be best friends, johnycakes. You aren't generalizing about Liberty Mutual exec wives, are you? I would never talk behind your back! Still, I will take your advice about Ashland. LL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 11:07 PM

72 posts, read 412,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilou View Post
You and I would probably be best friends, johnycakes. You aren't generalizing about Liberty Mutual exec wives, are you? I would never talk behind your back! Still, I will take your advice about Ashland. LL
Look, I moved to San Antonio from Central MA last year. Since I moved here I have enjoyed the low cost of real estate, warm weather, found a great job, and most of all found some real friends after filertering out quite a few after I learned of their real character. I enjoy my life here and have no regrets. However, there seems to be a bit more racism down here than expected. I'm in the seventh largest city in the U.S. and I cannot believe the hatred toward Black people predominately from Mexican-Americans and white people. No one has any right saying Bostin is a racist city. There aren't many colleges down here at all so culture and education are seriously lacking. The Mexican culture is very docile, too.I've had a hard time making friends because many people down here do not have a backbone and they seem shocked when I call them on it. So, even though many people might appear to be friendly down in TX, we're all the same inside. You might have less friends in MA, but your real friends have your back when you need them. They're less afraid to stand up for themselves and much more direct. That's what I miss most about people in the northeast. So, don't be c oncerned on which town is the friendliest. They're all the same!

Old 12-30-2006, 11:19 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Right on! New Englanders are great people, but we will call you on your stuff. Some people can't stand that! They are highly offended!

Old 12-31-2006, 02:17 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Right on! New Englanders are great people, but we will call you on your stuff. Some people can't stand that! They are highly offended!
I was out walking my dogs yesterday and came upon a neighbor that seems to be clueless on how irritating her barking Pomeranian is to her neighbors. She lets her dog free in the neighborhood just barking away and does nothing. When she saw me walking by her patio with my dogs yesterday she must have thought it would be cute to let her little dog out to see my dogs, which she did and it proceeded to snarl and yip away at my dogs. My dogs just looked on as did I until I finally told her that I thought her barking dog was very annoying. She truly looked shocked and sarcastically said she was sorry the dog was "annoying" to me and as I happily walked away, she continued on a tirad without me, as her dog barked on. It felt great to be upfront about such an obvious discourteous habit! New England, here I come!!!

Old 12-31-2006, 05:42 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
Default Love Dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
I was out walking my dogs yesterday and came upon a neighbor that seems to be clueless on how irritating her barking Pomeranian is to her neighbors. She lets her dog free in the neighborhood just barking away and does nothing. When she saw me walking by her patio with my dogs yesterday she must have thought it would be cute to let her little dog out to see my dogs, which she did and it proceeded to snarl and yip away at my dogs. My dogs just looked on as did I until I finally told her that I thought her barking dog was very annoying. She truly looked shocked and sarcastically said she was sorry the dog was "annoying" to me and as I happily walked away, she continued on a tirad without me, as her dog barked on. It felt great to be upfront about such an obvious discourteous habit! New England, here I come!!!
Puffle,

Did I tell you I love dogs? They taste really good!!! I especially like the free running ones.... You'll love me being your neighbor... haha....

Old 12-31-2006, 06:06 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilou View Post
I will not be working, so I'd like to find a community with other ladies in a similar situation. We do not fit into the "blueblood" mold; we're regular people looking for other regular people who like to hang out, have dinner parties, drink margaritas, and play poker until the wee hours. Surely, there have got to be a population of others who enjoy the same thing? Where are you? We are trying to get there....LL
I would look at towns like Newton (Chestnut Hill), Wellesley, Sudbury, Weston, Needham, even Dover (if you do not mind being too rural),... etc as many wives there do not work. Many ladies in similar situations. You gals can go to Neiman Marcus and Newbury Street to shop or play tennis in local clubs.

Shoot.... Now I wish I'm a woman....lol.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
I would look at towns like Newton (Chestnut Hill), Wellesley, Sudbury, Weston, Needham, even Dover (if you do not mind being too rural),... etc as many wives there do not work. Many ladies in similar situations. You gals can go to Neiman Marcus and Newbury Street to shop or play tennis in local clubs.

Shoot.... Now I wish I'm a woman....lol.
Smarty,
You have an "unusual" sense of humor. Has anyone ever told you that?

Old 12-31-2006, 11:09 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
I'll jump into the water here, and hope I won't drown

Massachusetts was always a friendly place to me, and commuting is difficult unless you are on the T or like driving on congested highways. I opt'd to take the bus when working in Boston, and getting up early and leisurely driving when I worked in Western Massachusetts.

I'd suggest taking out a map, a yardstick or ruler, seeing what towns are within driving or commuting distance that suit, and then explore one, several, all of these and ask some questions about them--specifically.

Good commuting to Liberty Mutual for one. I worked up the Street and it had the subway, a busline, and the T -- if I recall properly. And in easy walking to those Smarty shops on Newbury Street

Although I am female, I can't relate to stay at home, ladies, or shopping so I am not the best person to confirm your idea of friendliness, but I sure appreciate a smile, a good-morning, helping out in an emergency, a cuppa coffee with a neighbour and even a shared dinner and/or weekend party--all of which I received in MA!

People in New England are reserved, but they make "excellent" long-term
friends.

Happy New Year in just about 13 hrs MST.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:34 AM

Wink Happy New Year

Happy New Year Massachusetts! Hope 07 Is A Great Year For Everyone!!

Old 12-31-2006, 11:46 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
I'll second that... Happy New Year Massachusetts.... 3 more months and we'll be there ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts