Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2021, 09:53 AM

169 posts, read 179,632 times

Advertisements

Trying to help a friend. Young boy(age 5 I think) recently diagnosed with ADHD. Child is either being evaluated or starting to get help at some place in Lexington. Family lives just north off Boston near 93/128 cloverleaf area.

My questions are:

1. Schools that are good placements for ADHD. Not sure if he is in pre-school or K now but need an option for Elementary school. I think he turns 6 soon.

Does anyone know how Reading Public is in this case or what about a private school in the area. Know they will need to travel but want to give options.

2. If the child is outplaced from Reading Public if they can't serve him, I seem to remember that the Public School system has to pay at least a portion of a private school placement. Is this correct?

3. I have heard it is good for the family to get their own advocate to navigate all this. How does one do that? Does insurance pay anything? How much are these advocates and how do you find a good one?

4. A place to get services and help now? And any way or even reading material and websites and support groups for the parents to get support, parenting techniques etc?

5. At this early age what can the family do to help him. I think it is a bit too early for 504's and IEP's isn't it?

6. They are on a 1 year long waiting list for help at Children's. Any other options in the meantime?

Any other advice I can offer the family?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 11:27 AM

8,523 posts, read 13,894,869 times
1. I would imagine most decently funded school systems are capable of accomodating a child with ADHD but it would depend upon how severe the ADHD is. This is also an issue that can often be controlled with medication. As far as private schools go . . . you'd need to find one that specializes in dealing with ADHD kids. Regular private schools don't tend to have much in the way of support for kids who need help like this.

2. Depends. If it's a unilateral placement (meaning the parents have placed the child in the school without agreement from the the school district), then the parents will pay the full tuition. If the parents are able to get the outplacement into the IEP then the district will pay some or all of the tuition. As the parent of a SPED child, I can tell you that getting funding for an outplacement is not easy.

3. To find an advocate, I would start by asking the person who diagnosed the child if they know anyone. You could also try asking any therapist that may be working with the child if they know of someone. Maybe join the SEPAC Facebook group in that town and ask for a recommendation. I do find having an advocate is very helpful as I personally am not educated on my legal rights. If you end up going to a hearing to get funding, you may want to consider hiring a SPED attorney.

4. I'm not all that familiar with dealing with ADHD. Maybe start by asking some questions of whoever delivered the diagnosis.

5. Once the child turns 5 the responsibility to provide services falls on the school district. So, no, it's not too early for a 504 or IEP. Your school district should have a public pre-school the child can attend and receive services there during the day.

6. Likely there are although there are often waitlists for SPED services and those have only gotten longer during the pandemic. Again, I'm not familiar enough with ADHD to know what kind of services they'd be looking for, but I would start by asking the person who delivered the diagnosis. If it was the pediatrician then maybe take the child to see a Developmental Pediatrician or a Neuropsych. We absolutely love our pediatrician and think he's fantastic but when it comes to SPED issues he's not all that knowledgeable nor do I feel he should be.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:43 AM

169 posts, read 179,632 times
Thanks Mike for all the great info. Was hoping you would respond. I will pass the info along to the family.

As far as schools that specialize in ADHD goes - any idea how to find one? Is there a list somewhere? I have a strong background working in regular private schools and have some familiarity or have worked at several in Greater Boston but I know most don't handle special ed students. But is there a way to find a list of schools that treat or specialize in ADHD? A website that lists them perhaps?

Many thanks for all the info.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:27 PM

8,523 posts, read 13,894,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadschum View Post
Thanks Mike for all the great info. Was hoping you would respond. I will pass the info along to the family.

As far as schools that specialize in ADHD goes - any idea how to find one? Is there a list somewhere? I have a strong background working in regular private schools and have some familiarity or have worked at several in Greater Boston but I know most don't handle special ed students. But is there a way to find a list of schools that treat or specialize in ADHD? A website that lists them perhaps?

Many thanks for all the info.
I have found in the SPED world that once you get connected with one resource that they will connect you to many other resources. Our neuropsych connected us to the therapists we use and our advocate. Our advocate was able to guide us on the various outplacement options in the area. It just kind of snowballs once you get connected to some resources.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:30 PM

118 posts, read 103,473 times
FYI The public school district where the child lives provides special ed services age 3 to 21 (i.e., the day he turns 3 until the day before his 22nd birthday.)

I'd recommend the parents hire an ed advocate for an hour or two consultation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts