Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 04:08 PM

16,356 posts, read 8,174,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Classism is a bigger issue for white people.

Because you all aren't black. Why would racism be an issue for you at all if you're white? That much should be obvious.

If you were black, racism would be the bigger issue for you.
I ever said racism isn't an issue. It's just interesting that racism has basically become against the law but you are free to judge someone based on where they live and assume they're a hick because they drive a pickup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 04:49 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It's just interesting that racism has basically become against the law

It is against the law.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:57 PM

7,922 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Quote:

Because you all aren't black. Why would racism be an issue for you at all if you're white? That much should be obvious.

Uh there is such thing as a white hispanic/latino and then there's religion. I've been mistaken a number of times for being Jewish, I'm part Italian. Family Guy even had a bit on it but I think that might be flagged here but it's on youtube. Growing up I knew an Italian family around the street. Now we came over a few generations ago but they seemed like they came right off the boat. It was kind of like an African American meeting someone directly from Africa.

I can't always assume by looks alone what someone is. The reason why is it can get a bit deeper. I went to undergrad with a Brazilian that refused to be called hispanic. She'd get really pissed to say the least.

As for the word ghetto it actually has more of an Italian/Polish/Jewish source. A long long time ago back in the 90's my brother had a friend that had some sort of urban fetish. Maybe he just watched too much mtv at the time. Anyways we were in Hull by Nantasket beach and he saw some of the public bathrooms boarded up (I think they are seasonal anyway) and says "Look we're in the ghetto" It takes more than a few boarded up windows and doors to claim that. God forbid I actually drop him in in Springfield let alone Detroit.

Years ago I hears about some discrimination against Indians buying or trying to buy housing in Marshfield. I thought at the time eh..whatever just rumors..yeah then this happened

https://www.patriotledger.com/story/...ion/113928988/

https://www.mass.gov/news/ags-office...discrimination

You cannot say that you will automatically deny a section 8 voucher. It is considered a form of income. Having said that though there's also no law saying that the rent has to come down to the amount of the voucher either. If a tenant cannot pay the remaining balance it can't really be rented. Huduser calculates the fair market rents.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:01 PM

Racism isn't literally illegal. There are racist acts that get you arrested but you can't arrest someone simply for being a racist.

You seem to have a lot of disdain towards uneducated hickish poor white folks. They can't all help what they were born into. It works both ways. The lucky ones get out of that cycle.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:03 PM

23,545 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:

Uh, racism can be directed at whites too. But either way, it has nothing to do with me. Neither racism nor classism has affected my life, that I can tell or enough to care anyway. I was speaking based on my own observations, what I've seen, overheard and witnessed in recent years. One doesn't have to be a certain race to have an idea of what level an animosity exists against them or by them, or doesn't. Coming from both whites and minorities of all types, it's just not on the top list of gripes save for a few who might have been sucked into the hysteria going on over the past year or so. That's a dramatic departure from let's say 25 years ago, whereas classism seems to be going on the up and up.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:03 PM

579 posts, read 522,037 times
Brazillians aren't hispanic. They do not speak Spanish. That's what the spanic in hispanic is referencing. They have they're own rich culture based on they're Portuguese based backgrounds.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:04 PM

5,102 posts, read 2,663,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Classism is definitely a bigger issues than racism these days, at least in the Boston area. And unlike racism, it's considered totally PC and socially acceptable among many crowds.
Absolutely.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:05 PM

There was a black family who claimed they were discriminated against just last summer in marsh field because they wanted to view a home that had been their family's:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bos...tputType%3Damp

I have to say it sounded like a nervous real estate agent with covid rules.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Uh there is such thing as a white hispanic/latino and then there's religion. I've been mistaken a number of times for being Jewish, I'm part Italian. Family Guy even had a bit on it but I think that might be flagged here but it's on youtube. Growing up I knew an Italian family around the street. Now we came over a few generations ago but they seemed like they came right off the boat. It was kind of like an African American meeting someone directly from Africa.

I can't always assume by looks alone what someone is. The reason why is it can get a bit deeper. I went to undergrad with a Brazilian that refused to be called hispanic. She'd get really pissed to say the least.

As for the word ghetto it actually has more of an Italian/Polish/Jewish source. A long long time ago back in the 90's my brother had a friend that had some sort of urban fetish. Maybe he just watched too much mtv at the time. Anyways we were in Hull by Nantasket beach and he saw some of the public bathrooms boarded up (I think they are seasonal anyway) and says "Look we're in the ghetto" It takes more than a few boarded up windows and doors to claim that. God forbid I actually drop him in in Springfield let alone Detroit.

Years ago I hears about some discrimination against Indians buying or trying to buy housing in Marshfield. I thought at the time eh..whatever just rumors..yeah then this happened

https://www.patriotledger.com/story/...ion/113928988/

https://www.mass.gov/news/ags-office...discrimination

You cannot say that you will automatically deny a section 8 voucher. It is considered a form of income. Having said that though there's also no law saying that the rent has to come down to the amount of the voucher either. If a tenant cannot pay the remaining balance it can't really be rented. Huduser calculates the fair market rents.
I sensed deflection, scanned, and didn’t find your point.

I see some sort of explanation for the word ghetto that I don’t need..

Old 02-22-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
There was a black family who claimed they were discriminated against just last summer in marsh field because they wanted to view a home that had been their family's:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bos...tputType%3Damp

I have to say it sounded like a nervous real estate agent with covid rules.
Of course that’s what it sounded like to you. Just typical, troublemaking, black people..crazy, delusional, and untruthful as ever...amirite?

The good white man would never discriminate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts