U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 08:25 AM

3,363 posts, read 1,956,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
I've been surprised by Worcester but it's still nothing to be overly worried about if you're used to cities.

Being objective, Worcester has 2 of the poorest zip codes in MA. I will acknowledge that. 01610, 01603. Link is from a competitor site but it's easily findable.

Besides that what is so terrible about Worcester? Have to assume that anyone buying a house for $250k or less understands that in MA that means living around more disadvantaged folks.

I will be transparent. Unless the areas you mentioned have a opioid problem ala certain part of Quincy or Weymouth....what's the big fright? I'm genuinely curious.

The only place in MA I consider "rough" are Bowdoin/Geneva, parts of Southside in Brockton, Lower Tower Hill (Lawrence) and parts of Springfield. NB looks depressed but it's no comrade of the aforementioned places. And even then, none of these places are egregiously "stay away" for anyone who's lived in DRM within the last 30 years. Never felt safer in this city (minus Corona).

So I cannot fathom what would make Worcester this boogeyman. Heck even GBV is on the upswing and places like Plumley Village are changing their image. Would've been my picks for the roughest areas you might venture into. And even then....that doesn't happen by accident.
I’d suggest any neighborhoods in which people are being stabbed or shot are still “rough” regardless of whether gentrification seems inevitable. This is still the reality in some concentrated sections of Worcester, albeit at a smaller scale compared to cities like Boston, Baltimore, etc.

PDs/municipals don’t spend on ShotSpotter contracts/infrastructure if violence is a non-issue.

The majority of Worcester is safe, but those sections of Worcester are not accessible at $250k. Closer to low-mid $300s, as stated by actual Worcester residents.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 03-04-2021 at 08:47 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 09:12 AM

4,447 posts, read 2,040,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I’d suggest any neighborhoods in which people are being stabbed or shot are still “rough” regardless of whether gentrification seems inevitable. This is still the reality in some concentrated sections of Worcester, albeit at a smaller scale compared to cities like Boston, Baltimore, etc.

PDs/municipals don’t spend on ShotSpotter contracts/infrastructure if violence is a non-issue.

The majority of Worcester is safe, but those sections of Worcester are not accessible at $250k.
Closer to low-mid $300s, as stated by actual Worcester residents.
That's the same impression I got. There are certainly nice areas in Worcester, like the neighborhoods west of Park Avenue, but you don't get a stand-alone house in good shape there for $250K-ish. The bad parts of Worcester are not good, unless you're comfortable with assaults, shootings and stabbings in your neighborhood. To me if you have other options, you take those.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:35 AM

179 posts, read 364,370 times
Quote:

The majority of Worcester is safe, but those sections of Worcester are not accessible at $250k. Closer to low-mid $300s, as stated by actual Worcester residents.

My daughter has been looking in the Greater Worcester Area for about a month her budget is 275k - 325K and has been outbid on 3 properties so far. Has pretty much given up on Worcester proper & is looking west & North. Every open house she has gone to has been mobbed

Old 03-04-2021, 10:10 AM

859 posts, read 267,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendale View Post
My daughter has been looking in the Greater Worcester Area for about a month her budget is 275k - 325K and has been outbid on 3 properties so far. Has pretty much given up on Worcester proper & is looking west & North. Every open house she has gone to has been mobbed
Is she looking in Fitchburg or maybe Gardner? I bet that is where the highest concentration of houses in that price range is.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Is she looking in Fitchburg or maybe Gardner? I bet that is where the highest concentration of houses in that price range is.
$325k buys you very modest ranches/capes/townhomes in some Wachusett towns, Leominster, some towns south of Worcester, etc. I don’t think she needs to head as far west as Gardner. Worst case, Westminster.

This is why posters are asking whether the $250k ceiling has been truly vetted. Bumping up to low 300s opens up significantly better options.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 03-04-2021 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-04-2021, 10:29 AM

859 posts, read 267,690 times
Quote:
$325k buys you very modest ranches/capes/townhomes in some Wachusett towns, Leominster, etc. I don’t think she needs to head as far west as Gardner. Worst case, Westminster.
I don't know.
Checking on zillow right now for a house up to 300k I see nothing in Sterling, Princeton, Rutland a single house in Paxton, 2 houses in Holden, nothing in West Boylston and 3 houses in Westminster, 1 in Barre, 1 in Leicester, 1 in Barre.

There are way more houses available in Worcester, where she is having a hard time. North and west of Worcester is a very small pond. May not be very expensive but there just aren't that many houses. Yes going to 325 will bring up those numbers a tiny bit but you are still going to compete with anyone that wants to move there for like 2 houses.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:56 AM

18,802 posts, read 10,602,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Eh...the job market isn't dependent on location anymore.

This is laughable. The guys who installed the fence in my yard can't telecommute from the boondocks. Same for the surveyor. Same for the tree crew. The crew that installed my gas fireplace insert and the plumber who hooked up the gas can't work remote.

I saw a physician yesterday in the huge for-profit medical complex. Nobody in that building can work remote. I drove past several schools to get there. None of those people will be remote after next month. I drove past Mall Hell. None of those people can work remote.

Some white collar workers can work 100% remote. That isn't most people. Generally, the people buying $250,000 homes aren't white collar professionals who can work remotely.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I don't know.
Checking on zillow right now for a house up to 300k I see nothing in Sterling, Princeton, Rutland a single house in Paxton, 2 houses in Holden, nothing in West Boylston and 3 houses in Westminster, 1 in Barre, 1 in Leicester, 1 in Barre.

There are way more houses available in Worcester, where she is having a hard time. North and west of Worcester is a very small pond. May not be very expensive but there just aren't that many houses. Yes going to 325 will bring up those numbers a tiny bit but you are still going to compete with anyone that wants to move there for like 2 houses.
We haven’t hit peak spring listings yet. Mid-spring should give buyers a better idea of pricing, but yes, the Wachusett towns will be highly competitive due to the school district being one of the best values in Worcester county. Shrewsbury, Nashoba, Bromfield, Tahanto, etc. are notable more expensive than Paxton or Rutland.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:05 AM

13,849 posts, read 10,410,359 times
Quote:
$325k buys you very modest ranches/capes/townhomes in some Wachusett towns, Leominster, some towns south of Worcester, etc. I don’t think she needs to head as far west as Gardner. Worst case, Westminster.

This is why posters are asking whether the $250k ceiling has been truly vetted. Bumping up to low 300s opens up significantly better options.

I agree. But the idea is the OP will figure that out after seeing what options really exist for their initial budget, where they might then reassess accordingly (be it find a way to up their budget or maybe just consider another state altogether). Or like I said, wait it out a few months to a year. I stand by my assertion that not on us to tell somebody what they can and can't afford, and find it extremely arrogant the idea that we as strangers on an anonymous forum somehow know their finances better than they do. It sounds like the sketchy realtor or mortgage loan officer always pushing their clients to "go higher".

Old 03-04-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I agree. But the idea is the OP will figure that out after seeing what options really exist for their initial budget, where they might then reassess accordingly (be it find a way to up their budget or maybe just consider another state altogether). Or like I said, wait it out a few months to a year. I stand by my assertion that not on us to tell somebody what they can and can't afford, and find it extremely arrogant the idea that we as strangers on an anonymous forum somehow know their finances better than they do. It sounds like the sketchy realtor or mortgage loan officer always pushing their clients to "go higher".
I agree with sentiment, but not everyone is following bond markets and rates on a daily or weekly basis. For all we know they were using an online calculator leveraging dated inputs.

Unless they have a brutal debt to income ratio, and assuming their $2.5k rent is a manageable percentage of their net income, they seemingly can afford more. The rational for extending up in this instance seems pretty valid ... no one chooses to live in the slums. Housing is a need, homeownership is a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts