Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 06:09 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,105,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
I live in a C-D coined "rough" 'hood and nothing in Worcester even comes close. OP didn't state they have kids so I assume they aren't worried about districting or anything like that. It's good to mention that to OP though but just pointing out what's rough to you is just fine to another.
I don’t think you’ve spent enough time in Main South, Vernon Hill, Webster Sq, etc.

I’m being nice using the descriptor “rough”. I’m not talking Burncoat or even upper main.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 03-03-2021 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 06:20 PM

11,980 posts, read 7,742,806 times
Can they do a condo or townhome?

Old 03-03-2021, 07:15 PM

4,673 posts, read 3,429,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I don’t think you’ve spent enough time in Main South, Vernon Hill, Webster Sq, etc.

I’m being nice using the descriptor “rough”. I’m not talking Burncoat or even upper main.
I am not even sure you can find a house with a garage and a yard under $250,000 in those neighborhoods. If they are out there they need extensive work.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:56 AM

24,510 posts, read 17,995,915 times
Quote:
Yeah, I was referencing Q3/4 2020 MLS data. Current inventory is dismal being the tail end of winter. With interest rates shifting up slightly, I don’t anticipate much price movement from last year in these markets. If anything, it might drive pricing down as few buyers in these markets are creating capital in equity markets ... stagnate wage + higher rates = flat or lower valuations.
As interest rates go up, prices outside of the Boston job market will go down other than rare property a wealthy vacation home buyer wants.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:10 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,744,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
As interest rates go up, prices outside of the Boston job market will go down other than rare property a wealthy vacation home buyer wants.
Eh...the job market isn't dependent on location anymore.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:14 AM

4,548 posts, read 4,794,340 times
Quote:

My daughter has some friends who used to live on King St...

Worcester has gotten disgusting. Up 20%+ year over year. IMHO over priced. $250k you've got to go all the way out to the Brookfields. Sometimes you can find something in Spencer, but even Leicester has nothing.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:35 AM

11,973 posts, read 9,039,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Can they do a condo or townhome?
They've got 8 cats!

Old 03-04-2021, 07:36 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,105,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Eh...the job market isn't dependent on location anymore.
I think it’s a bit premature to make this conclusion.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:54 AM

728 posts, read 966,748 times
Quote:

I've been surprised by Worcester but it's still nothing to be overly worried about if you're used to cities.

Being objective, Worcester has 2 of the poorest zip codes in MA. I will acknowledge that. 01610, 01603. Link is from a competitor site but it's easily findable.

Besides that what is so terrible about Worcester? Have to assume that anyone buying a house for $250k or less understands that in MA that means living around more disadvantaged folks.

I will be transparent. Unless the areas you mentioned have a opioid problem ala certain part of Quincy or Weymouth....what's the big fright? I'm genuinely curious.

The only place in MA I consider "rough" are Bowdoin/Geneva, parts of Southside in Brockton, Lower Tower Hill (Lawrence) and parts of Springfield. NB looks depressed but it's no comrade of the aforementioned places. And even then, none of these places are egregiously "stay away" for anyone who's lived in DRM within the last 30 years. Never felt safer in this city (minus Corona).

So I cannot fathom what would make Worcester this boogeyman. Heck even GBV is on the upswing and places like Plumley Village are changing their image. Would've been my picks for the roughest areas you might venture into. And even then....that doesn't happen by accident.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:13 AM

17,155 posts, read 8,804,580 times
Let's keep in mind that the OP described the following house as perfect.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...56183326_zpid/

I don't think the couple is looking to live in an area that is plagued by social and economic problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts