Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2021, 04:40 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

I think today there's more homework, sports other activities they keep kids out of the streets maybe.

I'd hate to think kids just get home from school and sit at a screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 04:45 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think today there's more homework, sports other activities they keep kids out of the streets maybe.

It's a combination of all of that. It was a thing and growing rapidly when I was a kid too, it just wasn't where it is today.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:32 PM

49 posts, read 38,592 times
Quote:

That's exactly what happens. Only it's not tv. It's hours on hours of TikTok, and idolizing Youtubers. The American dream for those in highschool and younger is going viral. Same as previous generations dreamed of being actresses and actors. Only with going viral you can get paid for simply existing.

Folks who don't see the bigger picture. They'll say every generation has been influenced by pop culture. True, but it has never been more extreme. The tools used to manipulate youth (and adults, just youth more vunerable) have never been more psychologically persuasive and damaging.

Do your own research into everything I am saying here. It is the truth. Generation Z HATES tradition, because it is limit. HATES those who are older because they have been raised told that older generations ruined the planet and have nothing to offer other than racism, sexism, transphobia.

As a parent you got to understand if you let this current day mainstream culture take over your child. Be it social media, or gaming, or netflix. Thier priorities, views, and VALUES will be wildly divergent from yours or your parents. If you choose to disregard this, or are lazy or negligent to these facts you are in for a real bad time as you get older.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:09 AM

307 posts, read 164,304 times
Quote:

Agreed. There are also less kids even in family neighborhoods because people have smaller families. And, even then there will be different age groups so the 3 neighborhood teens aren't going to be playing with the two 10 years olds and in turn they won't hanging out with the kindergarteners or toddlers. I see kid splaying outside all the time but in smaller groups.

Another factor is that many families have 2 parents working full time so many kids go to camps and other activities to play rather than being out and about in their neighborhoods and local parks.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:58 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
That's also a good point about people having less kids to actually be out in the street playing. And chances are both parents are working and the kids are not home alone.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:04 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmCoastLocal View Post
That's exactly what happens. Only it's not tv. It's hours on hours of TikTok, and idolizing Youtubers. The American dream for those in highschool and younger is going viral. Same as previous generations dreamed of being actresses and actors. Only with going viral you can get paid for simply existing.

Folks who don't see the bigger picture. They'll say every generation has been influenced by pop culture. True, but it has never been more extreme. The tools used to manipulate youth (and adults, just youth more vunerable) have never been more psychologically persuasive and damaging.

Do your own research into everything I am saying here. It is the truth. Generation Z HATES tradition, because it is limit. HATES those who are older because they have been raised told that older generations ruined the planet and have nothing to offer other than racism, sexism, transphobia.

As a parent you got to understand if you let this current day mainstream culture take over your child. Be it social media, or gaming, or netflix. Thier priorities, views, and VALUES will be wildly divergent from yours or your parents. If you choose to disregard this, or are lazy or negligent to these facts you are in for a real bad time as you get older.
It's an interesting concept and it can get crazy. There's an article I think in the globe and mail that argued that we have a death of mass culture. Basically there was a time when people read the same books, listened to the same music, watched the same movies and tv. Location still meant something. I don't think it's that far to argue that you might have heard Aerosmith on wbcn or waaf in the 70's. But now it's scattered and is much harder to determine. Even though we have graphics we still use a command line. Google, amazon, netflix, facebook etc are all search engines to a point. What you see and in what order is extremely debatable. What you see is different from what I see because they look at past history to make recommendations.

There are products that provide for statistical and empirical data of websites and followers and make estimates for revenue. Keyword management seems to be vital and the whole seo and sem. The feed the algorithm or what ever you may call it is what is controlling all of this and it's hard to really understand it. None of it is taking a break either, world wide and no real holidays. Plenty of money is being made. Blogs, ebooks, audio books, online courses, podcasts, selling of graphics, audio clips, designs (3d printer) etc. Much of this doesn't even have to have real names. LLC's hire someone that might subcontract, ghost writers and psuedonames etc. This is why I say the whole proximity to jobs for employment is eroding. I know places zoned for residential that are apartment complexes and plenty are working from home. Could be legal (I think I heard a deposition down the hall months back), graphic design, audio engineer etc.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:55 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Our neighborhood is okay with regards to kids playing. It's certainly not like I experienced back in the 90's though. There's been some turnover there the last few years as elderly folks passed on and the families sold the houses to young families, so each summer there seems to be more and more kids. Our kids frequently play outside with the other neighborhood kids, and there's a core group of about 5-6 of them, plus a few occasionals? All under 10, and usually it's riding bikes, or digging in the ground, or poking at some dead animal and exploring the woods at the end of the road. We try to really dissuade video games, and youtube. You can only do so much though just based on what they experience through friends. I despise Roblox.

The adults are outside too. It's one of the things I actually like about my neighborhood is that people do come out of their houses and socialize with each other. We have a group text with all the people on our street. Previously, I lived in a neighborhood where people barely waved to each other and the kids all stayed inside. I don't get it.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:57 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,869 times
Judging by the last posts you guys must be old.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:47 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmCoastLocal View Post

Seems like you have been unduly influenced by pop culture.

Do you regularly interact with Gen Z?

Old 04-09-2021, 10:58 AM

66 posts, read 47,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Our neighborhood is okay with regards to kids playing. It's certainly not like I experienced back in the 90's though.
And yet, when I was a kid in the 90s, I recall my folks bemoaning that nobody played outside in the the street like when *they* were kids. I think it's a generational thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts