Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 05:57 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacconn View Post
I can’t imagine moving to any of these towns without kids, IMO. I genuinely think you’d struggle to meet others without kids that aren’t empty nesters. The whole appeal of those places are big houses, yards and good schools - which people with kids value, but others don’t, or at least not enough to pay $1.4M to live there. I live in Winchester and everyone l’ve met moved to town from Cambridge, Southie, Seaport or Charlestown once they outgrew their condo (2nd kid came along). Not one came pre-kids.
I'd agree with this. Unless you really like quiet and spread out, those towns don't offer much over others since you're not using the schools.

If commute time's a big thing, I'd stick with a town as as close to 128/95 or 2 as possible.

I'd also suggest renting for a year or two to figure out which place(s) suit you best. I had considered buying based on my commute before living out here, and if I had, I'd have regretted it. The town that was ideal for my commute at the time was also a very poor fit for my lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 06:22 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
If commute time's a big thing, I'd stick with a town as as close to 128/95 or 2 as possible.
I think it should be. For what I know about the Lab it doesn't seem very WFH friendly.

Old 03-20-2021, 06:43 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,557 times
Im 33 with a kid in Lincoln. Moved from Somerville but knew what I was in for. The pandemic has made it tough to really branch out but there are definitely people like you and me.

Last edited by wolfgang239; 03-20-2021 at 07:08 PM..

Old 03-20-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Im 34 with a kid in Lincoln. Moved from Somerville but knew what I was in for. The pandemic has made it tough to really branch out but there are definitely people like you and me.
City-Data's own numbers suggest that 20-40 in the town is not that many, and I bet a lot of those are adults living with their parents.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:14 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
City-Data's own numbers suggest that 20-40 in the town is not that many, and I bet a lot of those are adults living with their parents.
Perhaps, but we're one of 3 couples in my neighborhood in our early 30s, the others don't have kids yet. We've got a group of 5ish or so who do outdoor play dates when we can. I'm the only one who drives a dented up beater and doesn’t live in a million dollar house, but the attitudes trend toward low key and pretty down to earth. Most folks in my demo in Eastern MA aren't parents at 30 so I feel young some times.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:31 PM

154 posts, read 256,878 times
At 32, with a plan to have kids within the relatively near future, I think it does make sense to choose a town where you'd like to raise a family. You may not immediately find the perfect community fit, but I think it would be more difficult to buy someplace that fits right now and move in another 2-3 years to accommodate a family. I absolutely love Sudbury, but I like big lots, a lot of nearby conservation land, walkable and bikeable neighborhoods, and great schools. Concord is lovely and would also be a great choice for you. I think in your position I wouldn't buy for what fits right at this moment, but what will fit for the next 10-15 years. If that feels too permanent right now, it probably is better to rent someplace closer to Boston and take time to get to know the suburbs before you have kids.

Old 03-20-2021, 11:20 PM

13 posts, read 30,748 times
Thanks everyone!

I just thought of another question ... is Newton very urban? I remember that a lot of the partners at my old law firm in Boston used to live in Newton and commute into the city. Haven’t spent a lot of time there, but I know that the public schools are very good. I wonder if it feels similar to Lexington.

Is Sudbury to the Lab a tough commute do you think? I keep hearing good things about Sudbury ... that it’s beautiful and historical, and it is relatively inexpensive compared to some of these other towns!

What do people think of Wayland versus Sudbury? I really have no idea what Wayland is like! People seem to mention Sudbury a lot more? But Wayland is a bit closer to the city?

Sounds like Concord, Lincoln or Sudbury might be the town for us?!?

Old 03-21-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyHepburn36 View Post
Is Sudbury to the Lab a tough commute do you think? I keep hearing good things about Sudbury ... that it’s beautiful and historical, and it is relatively inexpensive compared to some of these other towns!
To the Lab it wouldn't be terrible. You would however be going backroads and if the place is closer to say Framingham or Marlborough the time would start to add up.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:33 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,121,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyHepburn36 View Post
Thanks everyone!

I just thought of another question ... is Newton very urban? I remember that a lot of the partners at my old law firm in Boston used to live in Newton and commute into the city. Haven’t spent a lot of time there, but I know that the public schools are very good. I wonder if it feels similar to Lexington.
Newton will be more dense and there are more businesses in town compared to Lexington and more public transportation options into Boston, which leads to a little more urban feel but it's not "very urban". There's a larger range of socioeconomic diversity in Newton compared to the other towns you mentioned.

I am a California transplant (from the Bay Area) and when it comes to schools almost any town in MA will blow away most schools in Cali.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:43 AM

I liked Auburndale and the Lower Falls a lot. PM commute would be an issue. Pre-virus 128 SB would be bumper to bumper all the way from Trapelo Road and if late enough past it. Definitely would make it easier to take a job Downtown versus living in Sudbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts