Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 11:52 AM

13 posts, read 30,765 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think of Wayland as opposed to Sudbury? Are they very similar?

Also, any thoughts about Carlisle, Bedford or Acton? Are any of these towns that we should consider?

Thanks! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 01:44 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,806,937 times
I would consider any of the towns you have listed, you are pretty much listing all of the most "desirable" suburbs in Eastern MA. The school systems are effectively all just as highly ranked and these areas all have a livable commute. What specifically are you wondering though? The places you've picked have a varying range of amenities that might make sense to some but not others. I feel like hearing more about your interests and reasons other than commute would be helpful.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:55 PM

349 posts, read 320,872 times
Apologies if off topic, but I don't hear West Cambridge, Belmont and North Waltham mentioned much. Lexington, Concord, etc. are mentioned far more frequently as beautiful suburbs. The appeal of West Cambridge and the other towns mentioned is proximity to Cambridge but with more space. Is it simply about the price points, or is there really a feature that you can't get?

The idea of driving into Boston 10-15 miles for work is really something I'd like to avoid.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:18 PM

13 posts, read 30,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
I would consider any of the towns you have listed, you are pretty much listing all of the most "desirable" suburbs in Eastern MA. The school systems are effectively all just as highly ranked and these areas all have a livable commute. What specifically are you wondering though? The places you've picked have a varying range of amenities that might make sense to some but not others. I feel like hearing more about your interests and reasons other than commute would be helpful.

I think that we're ideally looking for a town that has (here comes my long list):

- some shops and restaurants, and / or is a 5-10 minute drive to a cute downtown with shops and restaurants. The town doesn't necessarily need to have a downtown itself, but having Lexington or Concord's downtown nearby would be nice. I don't think that I've ever been to downtown Waltham.
- ideally a lot of history :-) I love the museums and historical houses in Lincoln, for example (the Pierce Estate, the Codman Estate). I'm also a big fan of the arts in general ... opera, musicals, symphony, etc. Big fan of the Transcendentalist history in Concord and all of the historical museum houses there. Also enjoy swimming and playing tennis.
- walking / biking trails and conservation land
- not too urban. Mostly two-lane roads would be nice ... downtown Lexington feels a little "urban" to me but I'm sure that there are lovely quiet neighborhoods in Lexington.
- some 30-some neighbors and / or young families would be nice.
- not too rural / cut-off ... I'll be working from home and don't want to be alone in the middle of the woods. Like the idea of a larger lot, but don't want to feel like I don't have neighbors.

I love West Cambridge, but oh my is it expensive! I used to walk Brattle Street, Fresh Pond and Mt. Auburn Cemetery all the time when I lived in Cambridge. Don't know anything about North Waltham!

Last edited by AudreyHepburn36; 03-24-2021 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-24-2021, 02:39 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,806,937 times
I'd say Arlington, roughly between the area north of Rt. from the Lexington border to Park St. on the east.

You will not have a larger lot but you will have most of what you are looking for within a reasonable bike/drive. It might be too urban to you in which case you'll be looking at parts of Waltham, Lexington and Concord. Then as you move to the other places you listed you'll see more of your "wants" dropping off.

If you want something like Concord's downtown area you'll need to live in Concord, and the same pretty much goes for Lexington. Parts of Lincoln are under 15 minutes to Moody Street in Waltham but the town has nothing but a supermarket, a coffee shop and the latest outpost of Bronwyn moving in. Carlisle is enough of an additional commute that I'd reconsider, and parts of Wayland/Sudbury as well. Wayland/Sudbury have no commuter rail station and only a few restaurants and strip mall shopping (mostly along Rt. 20).

Old 03-24-2021, 04:55 PM

425 posts, read 647,153 times
Moving from SoCal, I would prioritize convenience to work and access to the major highways and public transportation. All the towns you are mentioned are geared for young families....without kids you should enjoy some of what Mass has to offer and that means staying near good transportation alternatives. I think Lexington or Lincoln fit the bill even though they have very different vibes and they would be good towns to start a family down the road.

Sudbury and Wayland prices historically lagged some of those other towns due to the high property tax rates and inconvenient access into Boston/Cambridge. If you don't want to feel isolated, I would cross these towns off your list. When my SoCal wife moved to Sudbury she really disliked it because it felt too isolated - moving to Lincoln was a much better fit because getting to Waltham, Burlington and Cambridge (where there is more variety of "stuff") was just so much easier.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:14 PM

169 posts, read 182,364 times
Carlisle is very rural and isolated. There is no retail/commercial in the town save for a small general store. Lots are large, neighbors are very spaced out and houses are set back far from any roads. If you want to see neighbors this is not the place for you.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:10 PM

30 posts, read 35,810 times
You are going to want quick access to Rt 2 or Rt 128, so you can get places to socialize/visit without an interminable drive. For this reason, I agree you should cross Sudbury and Carlisle off the list. I'd cross Wayland off the list since it's very rural and has very little nightlife and a long commute to Lexington. I'd cross Waltham off the list for inferior schools unless you decide to rent. (Bedford is also not in the top tier if that's your thing.) I'd also cross Acton off the list since you have to drive through the Rt 2 rotary to get to Lexington and anywhere closer to Boston. The rotary is a nightmare.

If I were you I'd rent in North Cambridge or Belmont until I needed a real yard or the school system. That area is great for young people without children.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:39 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter111 View Post
You are going to want quick access to Rt 2 or Rt 128, so you can get places to socialize/visit without an interminable drive. For this reason, I agree you should cross Sudbury and Carlisle off the list. I'd cross Wayland off the list since it's very rural and has very little nightlife and a long commute to Lexington. I'd cross Waltham off the list for inferior schools unless you decide to rent. (Bedford is also not in the top tier if that's your thing.) I'd also cross Acton off the list since you have to drive through the Rt 2 rotary to get to Lexington and anywhere closer to Boston. The rotary is a nightmare.
Wayland wouldn't be that bad to the Lab. You'd have several backroads options to take plus in the AM you could just go to 128 N which even at peak was wide open even though getting there might take a bit.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:16 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Wayland wouldn't be that bad to the Lab. You'd have several backroads options to take plus in the AM you could just go to 128 N which even at peak was wide open even though getting there might take a bit.
As I noted earlier, the traffic can be bad very close to the Labs. In the AM, traffic backs up on Hartwell Ave. as the left onto Wood St. is close to the AF base gate. In the PM. traffic backs up on Wood trying to turn onto Mass Ave. to get to 128.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts