Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 09:57 PM

13 posts, read 30,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
All I've heard is that Amazon is a crappy place to work. Renting might not be a bad idea.
Oh no! Have you heard any specifics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 05:05 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyHepburn36 View Post
Oh no! Have you heard any specifics?
Very long work hours, intense working culture, that kind of thing. Maybe hubby gets lucky but you should take into consideration that he doesn't work at Amazon that long. Could always get another job, there's plenty but that involves going to Kendall Square.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:05 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Are any of these towns commutable to and from North Reading? Turns out that, according to the Lab, my husband wouldn't be able to get security clearance if he applied for it, and so they can't extend him an offer. :-( As a result, we are instead looking at Amazon Robotics in North Reading. I assume that Lexington and Winchester would be good options, but are there any other towns near North Reading with cute downtowns, lots of history and great public schools??? I will still be working from home. Thanks!
Depending on where you wind up in Winchester, you have to slog on South Border Rd. to I93 N to get to N. Reading or 3A up to 95/128N to the dreaded 95/93 interchange. From Lexington, it's 95/128N to the interchange. Right now it's not horrible but when people go back to work, it'll be a bottleneck again.

Consider Reading if you want to avoid the commute.

I have no direct information on Amazon. I've heard it's a tough company to work for even outside of the distribution business. I was interviewing for a marketing job just before AMZN bought out Keva. When that happened, they no longer needed a sales/marketing force.

If your spouse is in the robotics field, then Boston is a good area:

Boston Dynamics - Waltham
iRobot - Bedford
Righthand Robotics - Somerville
Sea Machines - East Boston
Flir - Chelmsford

...and many more.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:51 AM

64 posts, read 67,502 times
Commute from Winchester to AR in N Reading is 20-25 min pre-pandemic. Many do it!

Old 04-30-2021, 11:29 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Are any of these towns commutable to and from North Reading? Turns out that, according to the Lab, my husband wouldn't be able to get security clearance if he applied for it, and so they can't extend him an offer. :-( As a result, we are instead looking at Amazon Robotics in North Reading. I assume that Lexington and Winchester would be good options, but are there any other towns near North Reading with cute downtowns, lots of history and great public schools??? I will still be working from home. Thanks!
Andover, Lynnfield, Wakefield, Melrose.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Depending on where you wind up in Winchester, you have to slog on South Border Rd. to I93 N to get to N. Reading or 3A up to 95/128N to the dreaded 95/93 interchange. From Lexington, it's 95/128N to the interchange. Right now it's not horrible but when people go back to work, it'll be a bottleneck again.

Consider Reading if you want to avoid the commute.

I have no direct information on Amazon. I've heard it's a tough company to work for even outside of the distribution business. I was interviewing for a marketing job just before AMZN bought out Keva. When that happened, they no longer needed a sales/marketing force.

If your spouse is in the robotics field, then Boston is a good area:

Boston Dynamics - Waltham
iRobot - Bedford
Righthand Robotics - Somerville
Sea Machines - East Boston
Flir - Chelmsford

...and many more.

Thank you for the suggestions! He's actually in the satellite / communications / systems engineering fields! He's also thinking of applying to Viasat in Marlborough. I see a lot of great public schools around there! Hopkinton, Harvard, Boxborough?

Old 05-12-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions! He's actually in the satellite / communications / systems engineering fields! He's also thinking of applying to Viasat in Marlborough. I see a lot of great public schools around there! Hopkinton, Harvard, Boxborough?
Actually, scratch that. Sounds like we will both be working remotely from our future home in Boston! I am already remote, and my husband's employer has given him permission to work remotely from Boston as well!

Given this, any other towns that we should consider in the Boston area, similar to Lexington, Concord or Newton, with a nice walkable downtown, ideally lots of history and charm, hopefully some other young working professionals and where we could get a bigger house and lot for ~1.6M or less (so that we can both comfortably work from home)? Maybe I'm looking for a unicorn here! Since we haven't had kids yet, it may not matter as much that the public schools are good, since we can always move in five years or so ... would be nice to be able to drive into Boston and Cambridge in 30 minutes or less.

Thanks!!!

Old 05-12-2021, 09:02 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Actually, scratch that. Sounds like we will both be working remotely from our future home in Boston! I am already remote, and my husband's employer has given him permission to work remotely from Boston as well!

Given this, any other towns that we should consider in the Boston area, similar to Lexington, Concord or Newton, with a nice walkable downtown, ideally lots of history and charm, hopefully some other young working professionals and where we could get a bigger house and lot for ~1.6M or less (so that we can both comfortably work from home)? Maybe I'm looking for a unicorn here! Since we haven't had kids yet, it may not matter as much that the public schools are good, since we can always move in five years or so ... would be nice to be able to drive into Boston and Cambridge in 30 minutes or less.

Thanks!!!
Now that commute is a non issue, you should have a lot of options. Nice, bigger home for $1.6M will exclude only a few towns.

This would be my list with that budget and your criteria, but it all depends on how close you'd like to stay near Boston, ocean vs. no ocean, etc.

My list would be...

North Shore:
Marblehead
Newburyport

North:
Winchester
Andover

Northwest:
Belmont
Arlington
Lexington
Concord

West:
Newton
Needham

South Shore:
Hingham

Plenty of others that, with enough familiarity, you may prefer... Towns like Milton, Melrose, Reading have been hot spots for young families alongside cities like Arlington. Each of these towns have areas that feel quite upscale, and others that feel quite average.

If my wife and I are both telecommuting and and are looking to start a family, i'd probably head up to Newburyport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Z2LzGjf5Y

Just a comfortable, beautiful little place. The town is known for things like movie nights and concert series on the waterfront park. Downtown lays on the charm.. Bunch of little bakeries, coffee shops, boutiques. Some really good lunch and dinner spots, a few good brunch spots, a couple of low key breweries. Then once you leave downtown, you have Plum Island.. Really nice beaches, tons of action in the summer. For days/nights that you need to get into Boston, you can catch the train. Also, you are a quick drive from other great spots like Salem, Rockport, Beverly to the south, and Portsmouth to the North.

If you decide that you like the history and the nautical feel, but want to be closer to the city, I'd suggest Marblehead. Some areas are certainly more upscale than others. We have some friends in Clifton. Little paths built through the neighborhood, and many kids walk to school together.. Kind of an old school feel. The neighborhoods are quite old, but very well maintained with a lot of gambrels/colonials/capes/victorians. You won't get a new build in Clifton or a very large house, but Marblehead at large should have a few options. The commercial areas in town are relatively split up, but it does have a cohesive core with easy walkability. The harbor is beautiful, and having the beaches within walking distance never hurts.

Now, if the focus is to start somewhere where many other couples and young families in your position start, I'd suggest picking an inner ring suburb like Arlington. You can get a very nice house at $1.6M, and you're literally minutes from Cambridge and Somerville. Arlington itself has a busy little downtown that does some fun things like pop up breweries, live music, and farmers market in season. Arlington is super diverse in it's neighborhoods.. Some areas with strictly rentals that feel quite urban, others with strictly $1M+ homes on .25 acre lots. But, much of the town offers a middle-of-the-road, dense aesthetic. Though the barrier of entry is high, young couples and families have clearly decided the proximity to the city/Cambridge/Somerville couples with the amenities are worth it.

If you scrap the idea of living in a place that has a high % young couples and families, and don't care about being close to the water, and want to stay close to the city.. I'd say screw it, buy in Winchester. One of my favorite Boston suburbs when taking into consideration convenience to the city.

If you scrap the idea of living in a place that has a high % young couples and families, and don't care about being close to the water, and don't care about super easy access to the city... I'd say screw it, buy in Concord. You already established that it's on the short list. It's one of my favorite towns, anywhere. Absolutely beautiful. Not sure what $1.6M gets you, but, i'm sure there is something out there.

I could go on and on.... All depends on the environment you want.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:57 PM

100 posts, read 80,144 times
Hi! My spouse and 3 kids are also planning to relocate from LA and we are both working remote too and looking in similar areas (but maybe on the lower end of the price range). I’m from MA originally. Glad to have somewhere to go where I may be able to find a home big enough for our family and a yard for kids to play. Sorry, people everywhere! California ppl are moving in!

Old 10-06-2021, 08:19 PM

Hi everyone! Just wanted to let y’all know that at long very long last, we are moving to Bedford in the next month or two! We were able to get an accepted offer on a house there. We will both be working remotely from home for now, and probably driving or train(ing) into Cambridge / Boston on the weekends.

I honestly don’t know much about the town, other than that it’s very convenient to Concord and Lexington and the Lab and Cambridge, so if anyone has any thoughts, suggestions or words of wisdom to share about the town, that would be great! I probably want to get plugged into a historical society or two there, and maybe the local government as well - I just love the Revolutionary War history in that area - so any thoughts in that regard are helpful. Restaurant recs and hiking / biking / walking trail recs are appreciated too.

Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts