Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 08:54 PM

84 posts, read 77,031 times

Advertisements

Be sure to visit the Red Heat Tavern. They have shrunk their menu because of COVID, but they still have great food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 09:41 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyHepburn36 View Post
Hi everyone! Just wanted to let y’all know that at long very long last, we are moving to Bedford in the next month or two! We were able to get an accepted offer on a house there. We will both be working remotely from home for now, and probably driving or train(ing) into Cambridge / Boston on the weekends.

I honestly don’t know much about the town, other than that it’s very convenient to Concord and Lexington and the Lab and Cambridge, so if anyone has any thoughts, suggestions or words of wisdom to share about the town, that would be great! I probably want to get plugged into a historical society or two there, and maybe the local government as well - I just love the Revolutionary War history in that area - so any thoughts in that regard are helpful. Restaurant recs and hiking / biking / walking trail recs are appreciated too.

Thanks in advance!
Congratulations!

Bedford has always been middle-upper class, but has grown into a more upscale enclave with a lot of Lexington and Concord spillover. It's a great location with most any convenience just over the border in Burlington. And though Great Road isn't a formal main street/downtown, it serves its purpose and has gotten nicer with time.

I happen to know many people who grew up or now live in Bedford. Everyone seems quite happy with the decision. Great schools, quiet, friendly, progressive, and certainly near the epicenter of the Revolution and its history.

For weekends, you're 20 minutes to Cambridge, and 10 minutes from all of the gorgeous trails and historical sites in Concord and Lexington. If you're like us, you'll find yourself on a lot of adventures in near suburbs. Gorgeous part of the State.

For food, I think you'll find yourself in neighboring towns (at least on weekends). Bedford has a few spots, nothing stand-out.. Ken's NY Deli makes a decent pizza and it's a homey place to have a beer. Burlington, of course, has it all. For a more intimate or upscale "scene", Concord punches way above its weight.. Wood's Hill Table, 80 Thoreau, Saltbox, Adelita, Karma, Fiorellas, Merchant's Row. Check out Main Street Cafe for weekday live music or weekend breakfast if you're a history buff. It was, at one time, where gunpowder was stored during the Revolutionary War. Also, for a really cool breakfast/coffee spot, check out the back deck at Nashoba Bakery. Acton has some places too, most notably Filhos, True West, and El Huipil. Westford is close by as well. Tiki Bar is the regional "hot spot" for outdoor drinking late spring through early fall. Nashoba Ski hill is great to have right down the road. Gene's Chinese Flatbread was a feature in the New York Times for best handmade noodles. For a change from the norm, Diggy's makes one of the best Detroit/Pan pizzas in MA. Seoul is arguably the best Korean food I've had in the suburbs. And most importantly, Kimball's (OG in Westford) is a must do for the ice cream and for the experience.

Best of luck.

Old 10-08-2021, 03:45 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Years back when I relocated back to MA (brought up in Waltham), I had my home buying decision down to Bedford and Andover. I chose Andover based on closer to work, access to I93, its golf clubs, and its cutesy downtown. That said, I would have been very happy in Bedford. Enjoy your good choice.

Old 10-11-2021, 06:58 AM

13 posts, read 30,778 times
Thanks so much! Especially for the restaurant recommendations. :-)

My only concern really about the house is that we are on a double yellow line road (which I remember reading at some point was a no no). Realtor.com says that traffic noise is low but that airplane noise is medium. Hopefully we don’t get too much of either?! It’s a country road and a cut-through street, with the occasional car passing in front of our house.

The other big thing is that, my friend (who is somewhat of a party pooper by nature) mentioned to me that Bedford’s public schools are ranked 3000+ in the nation in US News & World Report, whereas of course Lexington’s and Concord’s are ranked much higher. So, wondering about the quality of the public schools, and if we will need to sell and buy in Lexington if and when our kids are going to kindergarten or pre-school? We of course don’t have kids yet so I may be getting way ahead of myself here!

Old 10-11-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyHepburn36 View Post
Thanks so much! Especially for the restaurant recommendations. :-)

My only concern really about the house is that we are on a double yellow line road (which I remember reading at some point was a no no). Realtor.com says that traffic noise is low but that airplane noise is medium. Hopefully we don’t get too much of either?! It’s a country road and a cut-through street, with the occasional car passing in front of our house.

The other big thing is that, my friend (who is somewhat of a party pooper by nature) mentioned to me that Bedford’s public schools are ranked 3000+ in the nation in US News & World Report, whereas of course Lexington’s and Concord’s are ranked much higher. So, wondering about the quality of the public schools, and if we will need to sell and buy in Lexington if and when our kids are going to kindergarten or pre-school? We of course don’t have kids yet so I may be getting way ahead of myself here!
US News & World takes into consideration, heavily, diversity and non-academic considerations. Which is great, but that's not a list that you should use to gauge test scores and college admissions of students.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-compares.html

Bedford, MA tests +2.5 grade levels above the countries median.. Looks like that would put it in the top 100 schools in the country as it relates to test scores. Yes, Lexington is +3.8 and according to this study is firmly ahead of every other district in the country. But, that's a statistical outlier. You have the same chance to get into an Ivy League school graduating from Bedford as you do Lexington as you do Wayland as you do Acton.

It's a great district, highly competitive. The facilities aren't super impressive, but that will change with time. Plus, it's a small district, so I wouldn't expect elite facilities.

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/educa...on-2021-chart/

26th best High School according to Boston Magazine. But again, this list changes constantly with little reasoning. Bedford is certainly a Tier 1 district.

Old 10-15-2021, 01:04 PM

8 posts, read 10,564 times
I went through the Lexington school system. It’s not the schools or teachers or whatever. It’s the parents. They’re all very well educated and insist on high performance, getting into certain schools and then choosing certain careers.

They all also have a lot of money. That’s where the outcomes come from. Not the teachers. My dad once went to a teacher and asked if they could give me some extra work in math. The teacher told him to “let me play more” and that “he knew better as a teacher.” My dad bought some books at New England Mobile Book Fair (probably dead now) and taught me Algebra 2 himself. That’s why Lexington has a good school system.

Old 10-15-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaparker View Post
I went through the Lexington school system. It’s not the schools or teachers or whatever. It’s the parents. They’re all very well educated and insist on high performance, getting into certain schools and then choosing certain careers.

They all also have a lot of money. That’s where the outcomes come from. Not the teachers. My dad once went to a teacher and asked if they could give me some extra work in math. The teacher told him to “let me play more” and that “he knew better as a teacher.” My dad bought some books at New England Mobile Book Fair (probably dead now) and taught me Algebra 2 himself. That’s why Lexington has a good school system.
This is absolutely the truth. I did not grow up in Lexington, but instead right nextdoor. Exact same experience.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:47 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaparker View Post

Yeah I know many Chinese parents complain that the math class in school is too easy, and they organize extra math classes on weekends. I saw some "Japanese math class" in Arlington too.
But I guess most parents just teach their own children.

Old 10-20-2021, 04:34 AM

13 posts, read 30,778 times
My public high school in California was the same! I’m basically looking to replicate that experience in Boston. :-)

I just spoke with a friend who is from Boston, and she said, exactly like Mwj119 (your responses are the best by the way, thank you so much!!!), that rankings are deceptive, and that the Bedford schools also have good outcomes for college, like Lexington. She says that she only knows one guy from Bedford and he went to Harvard and then HLS!

Anna Parker, sounds like you had a stressful childhood! Sorry about that!

This thread is such a wealth of knowledge. You all are so smart!

Old 10-31-2021, 12:32 AM

531 posts, read 425,439 times
AudreyHepburn36,
Congrats on your new home! Unfortunately I don’t know too much about Bedford, but two good friends from Lexington and a coworker from Melrose have all told me how absolutely amazing the Marshall’s is there! Lots of high-end brands at great prices with the best selection around by far. Apparently, it’s the mother of all Marshall’s and even people who are choosy about fashion love it because of all the great finds.

Also, if you’re looking for a great spa in the area, Bella Santé in Lexington is fantastic.

Last edited by Remy11; 10-31-2021 at 12:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts