Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 09:17 PM

6 posts, read 9,330 times

Advertisements

This is all so helpful! Seems like Harvard/Bolton/Stow may be the best match for what we are looking for. I really appreciate the insights. I am also glad to hear that even the “conservative” towns are welcoming to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 05:59 AM

344 posts, read 336,064 times
Interesting to note though, that Shrewsbury, which is probably the most "conservative" of those listed has far and away the most diverse population of the towns listed due to the sizeable Asian minority population.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:31 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,064,026 times
Progressive typically means everyone really, really, really, i mean REALLY cares about black lives in another town, many towns over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinderman View Post
Interesting to note though, that Shrewsbury, which is probably the most "conservative" of those listed has far and away the most diverse population of the towns listed due to the sizeable Asian minority population.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:15 AM

137 posts, read 149,705 times
Hi, My family and I have lived in Stow for 7 years! We really like the town. We have two children, our oldest is in first grade and our youngest is not in the public school yet. We have been pretty happy with the elementary school, great reviews online (I can go into more details if you wanted-message me).
I happen to love the farms/orchards and that New England look so Stow was appealing to me. I would not have considered more built up towns but that is personal perference.
The housing market is CRAZY now in town. Our next door neighbors listed their house, two open houses and 8 offers all above asking (they listed for $565 and got an offer of $625!).
Again, I love the town and the other families are really nice in our neighborhood. I would look into Stow and not a horrible commute to Waltham (before this "time" my husband worked 4 days a week in Lexington.
Message me if you want more details, I am honest and can give more details about the elementary school.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:54 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinderman View Post
Why is that interesting?

Old 03-25-2021, 09:12 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Why is that interesting?
It does indicate that a possible culture shift is underway, but I think it’s rather hard to correlate. When I was a Shrewsbury resident, the ‘conservatism’ amongst the Asian community was largely relegated to marijuana decriminalization and ‘bootstrap’ issues. They were otherwise fairly progressive and you can see correlated in party split and policy split data.

Shrewsbury does draw a small, and likely irrelevant, cohort of ‘tax sensitive’ types thanks to it’s commercial base and low mill rate. Comparatively, someone buying Bolton has to really want the Nashoba district to justify that median price + 21/thou mill rate.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:55 AM

6 posts, read 9,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
It does indicate that a possible culture shift is underway, but I think it’s rather hard to correlate. When I was a Shrewsbury resident, the ‘conservatism’ amongst the Asian community was largely relegated to marijuana decriminalization and ‘bootstrap’ issues. They were otherwise fairly progressive and you can see correlated in party split and policy split data.

Shrewsbury does draw a small, and likely irrelevant, cohort of ‘tax sensitive’ types thanks to it’s commercial base and low mill rate. Comparatively, someone buying Bolton has to really want the Nashoba district to justify that median price + 21/thou mill rate.
What makes Shrewsbury the most conservative? Is this based on voting? I’m surprised by this !

Old 03-25-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaGreaterBoston View Post
What makes Shrewsbury the most conservative? Is this based on voting? I’m surprised by this !
IMO, it's not the most conservative ... that was speculation by another poster.

The only 'conservative' towns in Worcester county are south west of the city (e.g., Charlton, Oxford, Uxbridge, Brookfields) and north west (e.g., Winchendon, Hubbardston). These towns remain conservative leaning because demographics within aren't shifting nearly as fast as the eastern Worcester county towns. Even then, the conservative ideology within these towns tends to be more moderate in regards to social issues.

The generational townies in some of the Wachusett towns like to think the towns are 'conservative strong holds', but towns like Sterling and Rutland are shifting center-left as gen X and millenial families move in. My Sterling neighborhood is a microcosm of the shift with the older conservative retirees leaving (to other locales including the void) and younger secular gen X and millenial families moving in. The 25 to 50 something republicans I've spoke to in town or seen/heard at town meetings and online groups generally fall into the libertarian camp, which means identity/LGBTQ issues fall very low or completely off their list of concerns. Primary focus is taxes, hunting, regs, policing, efficient local government, etc.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 03-25-2021 at 11:55 AM..

Old 03-25-2021, 01:05 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post

I never saw that group as being particularly "progressive" (especially in comparison to the white pony tailed SJW eccentrics from Harvard). I've been wrong before, but I wouldn't think these upper-middle-class Asian families would drag a town too far in either direction.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I never saw that group as being particularly "progressive" (especially in comparison to the white pony tailed SJW eccentrics from Harvard). I've been wrong before, but I wouldn't think these upper-middle-class Asian families would drag a town too far in either direction.
They are politically center-left as a broad demographic, but I'm very doubtful the educated class of Asians targeting Shrewsbury are dragging the town ideologically right. In my experience, a significant percentage of the population (within Shrewsbury) are highly educated with extended degrees, working as MDs for UMass/St. V, pharma R&D, universities, software dev, etc. ... not exactly the types who turn on Howie Carr.

Issues of affirmative-action and school equality certainly do push them right of Dem politicos in areas, but they don't necessarily align with conservative values.

My impression from OP, and I could be wrong here, is that she is a transplant seeking safe and welcoming environment. Given Shrewsbury's diversity, density, and educational obtainment I really only see positive there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts