U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 1,123 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family and I recently relocated to MA and are looking to purchase a home in the metro west suburbs of Boston. So far we like Sudbury, Medfield, Southborough and North Walpole. We are trying to learn about local schools primarily, as well as impressions of the towns as a place to raise children. We are hoping to find good schools without a high stress environment. Thoughts on any of the towns above? Should we avoid any of them? Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 08:53 AM

3,468 posts, read 2,009,702 times
Not trying to be dismissive, but do a forum search as this is the dominant subject on this board. Including at least two active threads.

Buyers targeting Southborough/Sudbury typically do not cross over with Medfield/N Walpole. Where is/are the job locations?

Old 03-26-2021, 08:57 AM

7,294 posts, read 11,129,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Buyers targeting Southborough/Sudbury typically do not cross over with Medfield/N Walpole. Where are the job locations?
That was my first thought as well . . . OP is all over the map.

If you can provide as much information as possible about your circumstances, you'll get better answers more suited to your personal situation. "You don't know what you don't know" and I can assure you if you're new to the area there's plenty you don't know and if you can broaden your question you'll find there are a lot of helpful people here with great information.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 1,123 times
Thank you both, understand the question. We don't have a strong geographic preference at this point. We want to find a larger property without feeling totally remote (currently renting in Bolton, feels a bit too remote). My husband will be working out of Cambridge (hybrid, can work from home a few days a week) and his commute time is flexible. We have seen older threads with postings of these towns, but nothing recent that we found to speak to current impressions (please let us know if we missed it!). Our main concern is finding good schools without the pressure that we have heard anecdotally exists in certain towns with the highest rated schools.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:31 AM

936 posts, read 300,598 times
Walpole or Medfield to Cambridge is a a bad commute, unless you are really sure your husband is going to be able to work from home most of the week even after he pandemic is done, I wouldn't do it.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:33 AM

1,489 posts, read 1,192,600 times
As far as schools go, half of what you hear is exaggerated or based on a 10 year old article in the globe that gets dragged out every time town "x" comes up. Try finding the local Facebook town parents group and using that to get better answers. The mcas, college attendance rates and other things speak for themselves but context is lost and it is tough to trust some of what you hear unless you have real time info. You'll definitely get dissenting opinions amongst the people who cheerlead their own towns in those groups.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:18 AM

3,391 posts, read 1,941,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HER83 View Post
Thank you both, understand the question. We don't have a strong geographic preference at this point. We want to find a larger property without feeling totally remote (currently renting in Bolton, feels a bit too remote). My husband will be working out of Cambridge (hybrid, can work from home a few days a week) and his commute time is flexible. We have seen older threads with postings of these towns, but nothing recent that we found to speak to current impressions (please let us know if we missed it!). Our main concern is finding good schools without the pressure that we have heard anecdotally exists in certain towns with the highest rated schools.
If the commute is to Cambridge, I'd strongly suggest NW/W suburbs.

Because your husband is WFH half the week, you should have the option to look a bit further out.

The "DCL" towns really extend from Wayland north to Westford. This pocket predominantly works in Burlington, Waltham, or Cambridge.

Towns like Acton and Westford will be less expensive than better situated towns like Lincoln or Lexington. All of the schools in these towns are amongst the best in the State.. I don't know how to identify pressure cooker schools, I'm not a huge believer in that philosophy. The higher the median income of the town, and the higher the educational attainment, the more expectations will exist within those circles. I'm not convinced it's the schools fault. More of a social, atmosphere type of issue.

Based on the towns you've identified - You like more land and a bucolic setting. Folks with $1M++ in budget, with your preferences, with your commuting requirements generally look at Lincoln, Concord, Lexington, Carlisle. Sudbury is a tweener along with Wayland, as it has a bit more diversity in it's housing stock and price points. Acton and Westford will be more of the $500-$1.5M buyer.

Due west, you have even more bucolic, sprawling suburbs like Boxborough, Harvard, Stow, Bolton. Assume a similar cost as Acton or Westford, but very small populations/very limited housing stock. Once again, the schools in this group are very well regarded.

The last group, should you have the means, would be the inner 95 suburbs.. Places like Winchester, Belmont, Newton, even Arlington. Doesn't sound like this is a good match based on the preferences you presented.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:36 PM

3,468 posts, read 2,009,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Based on the towns you've identified - You like more land and a bucolic setting. Folks with $1M++ in budget, with your preferences, with your commuting requirements generally look at Lincoln, Concord, Lexington, Carlisle. Sudbury is a tweener along with Wayland, as it has a bit more diversity in it's housing stock and price points. Acton and Westford will be more of the $500-$1.5M buyer.
Pretty much sums it. If the desire is semirural + close proximity, it's hard to beat Carlisle or Lincoln. Some of the other towns mentioned do feel more suburban due to density.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:36 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,150,886 times
If you go by Framingham State's definition, there are basically no wrong choices in MetroWest for your criteria.

If you go by MetroWest Chamber of Commerce members, which is above + Westborough, same answer.

MetroWest Area Planning Council (MAPC) adds Marlborough, Weston, and Wellesley but loses Hopkinton, Sherborn, and Sudbury. Your criteria probably excludes Marlborough.

MetroWest Daily News includes Shrewsbury! Shrewsbury isn't MetroWest...

However, with the commute I'd avoid most of MetroWest anyway. Or at least all of it south of 20. MAPC calls the area along rte 2 "Minuteman" and that's where I'd focus. Schools can be intense though.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:19 PM

212 posts, read 177,774 times
Sherborn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts