U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2021, 09:47 AM

6,695 posts, read 5,846,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
For a day per week in the Seaport District, the commute time doesn’t matter much as long as the last part of it is rail to South Station.

Personally, I’d recommend relaxing the “newer house” criteria since the housing stock is so old in New England. You can always remodel kitchens and baths.

Me? I’d start with Marion. An idyllic coastal town too far to consider a daily commute. Strong local elementary school and good regional middle and high school. Go sailing or to the beach after work. I wouldn’t want that commute 5 days per week but once per week would be fine.
That's a good point. You'd opt out of all historical districts as well. I think most housing commissions are more apt to argue about what a house looks like outside, not inside. My house is about 120 years old and has no knob and tube wiring, asbestos and lead paint. Even without historical districts I could show you complete neighborhoods that date back more than a few decades. In New England 20 years is a drop in the bucket, try 100+ years old.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 09:52 AM

10 posts, read 9,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadschum View Post
how big of a house for your 800-900K budget? Sq footage? # beds/baths? anything else about the house?
Ideally we’d be around 800K - 900K, but if we found an amazing house we could probably go up to 950K or just north of there.
Minimum 4 bedrooms, prefer 3 full bathrooms, but can live with two, need to have at least one (if not two) spaces that could serve as home offices. Minimum two car garage and nice size yard.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:17 AM

7,442 posts, read 11,586,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnSwing View Post
Ideally we’d be around 800K - 900K, but if we found an amazing house we could probably go up to 950K or just north of there.
Minimum 4 bedrooms, prefer 3 full bathrooms, but can live with two, need to have at least one (if not two) spaces that could serve as home offices. Minimum two car garage and nice size yard.
I can understand your concerns about Lime disease. However, it's not something that occupies my mind on a regular basis. If I go stomping around the woods or if I play golf and hit one into the woods then I check for ticks. When my kids are just running around in the yard, I don't check them when they're done.

Honestly, I think you were on the right track when you were looking around 495. I would look at places like Holliston, Hopkinton, Southboro, Sherborn, etc. You're not going to get everything on your list but I think you could find something you'd be happy with.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:52 AM

1,498 posts, read 574,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You can get your yard treated for mosquitoes and ticks. Lawn services do it.
And kill any beneficial insect in the process.

I live in the woods and spend a lot of time working around my plot of land. Typically I remove ticks from me 5-10 times a year, even if I spray my cloths.
My wife got Lyme a couple of years ago. 3 weeks of antibiotics and the problem is solved. The only potential issue is not treating it, after a very long time can start give you symptoms that may not be connected to Lyme by the doctor.

If I have to pick an outdoor disease that concerns me in MA I pick West Nile probably, even if it's rare.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:03 AM

531 posts, read 306,101 times
6.8 million people live in MA and don't get lyme disease every day.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:07 AM

4,386 posts, read 1,482,369 times
After what we just went through with covid ticks are a breeze, lol.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:24 AM

106 posts, read 90,794 times
It probably makes sense to look at the MBTA commuter rail map and focus in communities on the lines that go to South Station (from the west and from the south) and then go to realtor or zillow and just put in Massachusetts and whatever other parameters you have and look at towns/areas along those lines. You can always drive to a station or walk if you are not right near the station.

https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/f...il-map-v34.pdf

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...,-70.613541,10

Old 04-22-2021, 07:26 PM

3,984 posts, read 2,759,950 times
I would get my yard treated for ticks if I were that worried. There are 'green" companies that do it. They'll also kill mosquitos -- I don't worry much about West Nile but I would worry about Eastern Equine Encephalitis, which is spread by mosquitos. Knock out both those suckers in your yard.

Ticks/lyme are a worry in many places. I worried in Chicago, worried in Philadelphia and worried here.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:36 PM

5,109 posts, read 3,583,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Honestly, I think you were on the right track when you were looking around 495. I would look at places like Holliston, Hopkinton, Southboro, Sherborn, etc. You're not going to get everything on your list but I think you could find something you'd be happy with.
Good suggestions! I'd probably throw Medfield into that mix.

I'll say that Sherborn has the least well defined downtown of the bunch. Each of the others at least have two of: a pizza joint, a coffee shop, and a bar/grill. Sherborn has Dunkin, and ice cream place, and the Heritage. OP said they want a few shops and stuff.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:39 PM

7,442 posts, read 11,586,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Good suggestions! I'd probably throw Medfield into that mix.

I'll say that Sherborn has the least well defined downtown of the bunch. Each of the others at least have two of: a pizza joint, a coffee shop, and a bar/grill. Sherborn has Dunkin, and ice cream place, and the Heritage. OP said they want a few shops and stuff.
Medfield is a good suggestion. I'm thinking with their budget and their desire for a new/newer home that OP is probably going to have to compromise a bit. That might come with the house or that compromise might happen with the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts