Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 11:19 PM

11 posts, read 15,349 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are moving to the Boston area from out of state this summer. My spouse got a job in the Seaport district, but will only have to commute to work one day a week. We are pretty open to anywhere in the Boston metro as having a bad commute one day a week is not a deal breaker, but would like to be near a station if possible. Otherwise we both work remotely from home. We have young children so of course looking for an area with excellent schools and nice parks nearby. Having a good size back yard for the kids to run around is very important to us and ideally we'd like a new build, but would be OK with anything from 2000 or newer. Would like an area with a walkable town center with restaurants, shops, etc, but also close to other conveniences such as Target, grocery store, etc. We initially were looking at some places near 495, but while researching those areas I found out that ticks are rampant in the Northeast (I didn't know this) and Lyme disease is a big concern. I'm wondering if this is more of an issues in the areas off 495 as closer to woods/farther from city? Is this less of a concern as you go towards the city? I understand doing tick checks if we've gone out in the woods for a hike, but I really don't want to be doing tick checks daily. Anyway, I feel like all of this is a tall order - does such a place exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 04:24 AM

1,393 posts, read 861,166 times
I think it would make sense that the more urban the area the less ticks would be a concern but still something to be mindful of. It’s going be hard to make a recommendation without an idea of what you are willing to spend..

Old 04-22-2021, 04:54 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Lyme disease is more of a regional thing and has been known for quite some time. They're are products out there. I know several that caught it once if not twice and were fine.

Chickens can eat ticks and I know this because my neighbor releases days which go into my property and pretty much peck at my entire back and side yard.

I think you're going to have to do a little bit of a balancing in terms of a commune. Anything with the pipe is going to be much faster than Route 2. I normally recommend the commuter rail communities because they do have some higher property values but ever since covid-19 they's been cuts.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:08 AM

11 posts, read 15,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
I think it would make sense that the more urban the area the less ticks would be a concern but still something to be mindful of. It’s going be hard to make a recommendation without an idea of what you are willing to spend..
Looking somewhere in the 800s or 900s.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:33 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,064,026 times
You'd want to look a bit farther out if you want a large newer house with large yard in that range, I've been out of the market for a while but looked in nearby 'burbs in the 650-750K range and what that money gets was very, very depressing to say the least. 800-900K would only be very depressing instead of very, very depressing if you want to be in a nice town close to Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnSwing View Post
Looking somewhere in the 800s or 900s.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:05 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
For a day per week in the Seaport District, the commute time doesn’t matter much as long as the last part of it is rail to South Station.

Personally, I’d recommend relaxing the “newer house” criteria since the housing stock is so old in New England. You can always remodel kitchens and baths.

Me? I’d start with Marion. An idyllic coastal town too far to consider a daily commute. Strong local elementary school and good regional middle and high school. Go sailing or to the beach after work. I wouldn’t want that commute 5 days per week but once per week would be fine.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:58 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Not sure if you'd prefer south shore, north sure, metro west? What's your budget?

I'm not sure I'd let ticks be too much an issue...I grew up in Milton which is right next to Boston and they were there....my cousin's kid lives in NJ and had lyme disease recently he's fine...they think he got it when they were vacationing on the cape. There's been cases of west nile virus here too.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:17 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
You can get your yard treated for mosquitoes and ticks. Lawn services do it.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:27 AM

169 posts, read 182,416 times
how big of a house for your 800-900K budget? Sq footage? # beds/baths? anything else about the house?

Old 04-22-2021, 09:27 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You can get your yard treated for mosquitoes and ticks. Lawn services do it.
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts