U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 06:40 AM

5 posts, read 2,693 times

Advertisements

Hi All, Currently looking into buying a house in Southborough MA.

Tried to find school rankings etc for Southborough and it was not very easy.
All i saw from the rankings are all Hopkinton, Dover-Sherborn, Acton-Boxborough, etc.

To those who know Southborough, how is the school district there?

Is it diverse? We are an asian family and I'm looking for my 1 year old daughter to go to a diverse school later in her academic career and was originally looking at natick, thinking anything closer to Boston would be more diverse.

We unfortunately priced out on Newton on the house requirement that we want.

Any Feedbacks are welcome thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 07:05 AM

15,881 posts, read 11,720,831 times
Schools there are top ranking. I don't believe it's very diverse, although that might have changed lately with towns along Rte. 9 becoming a lot more Asian overall. I'm sure one of our census fanatics will be along shortly with the full scoop.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:18 AM

501 posts, read 263,419 times
Schools are excellent, and have always been. It shares a school system with Northborough, although elementary & middle are separate, and Southborough feeds into Algonquin HS with Northborough.

I went to Algonquin in the late 90's. As I mentioned, it was great back then and from what I understand it still is. They rebuilt it a few years back, building itself is pretty impressive (at least vs. what it was when I was there). I have no idea how rankings stack up with the "usual suspects" of top school, but in Eastern MA it's splitting hairs anyway. Its roughly equivalent to Westborough & Shrewsbury, the other similar towns in the area.

Based on your post, my question would be what kind of town are you looking for? Because Newton & Southborough are VERY different. I will say though, Southborough has one of the most underrated commutes to Boston for a "far out" burb, and actual travel times are lower than some towns considered closer in (i.e. Sudbury, etc.) since it has easy access to the pike, 495 & 9, as well as a train station.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the responses both of you.

Not particularly picky on the towns really. We looked Hopkinton, Sudbury, Southborough, Medfield.

I merely mentioning Newton because I have a couple of friends and family there and we are definitely priced out because we wanted a bigger house with an ok lawn.

We love Hopkinton school district and how the kids are buddying up on the two grades they are in all the way to highschool.
but Hopkinton housing are sparse these days. Low inventory and all i meant.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:29 AM

1,484 posts, read 569,143 times
18% of students in the district are Asians, considerably more than the state average. On the other hand there are considerably less Black and Hispanics.
So, kind of your average high performing district. I am not sure but there are many Indians in the area, so many of the Asians may be Indians rather than east Asians.

https://www.publicschoolreview.com/m...chool-district

Old 04-29-2021, 09:17 AM

3,286 posts, read 3,382,357 times
Southborough and Northborough have large Indian populations. And a growing Korean population.

Top schools though.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:22 AM

1,484 posts, read 569,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Southborough and Northborough have large Indian populations. And a growing Korean population.

Top schools though.
More like "top school thus"

Old 04-29-2021, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone! I didn't know that it is in the 18% range for asians.
I just want my daughter to grow up in a more diverse school than what i grew up in.

I grew up in Maryland and there is perhaps 10 asian students in the school. Though there isn't racism, there is definitely silent group that separated themselves and we do feel "different"

Old 04-29-2021, 09:44 AM

3,778 posts, read 2,322,347 times
Algonquin has some socioeconomic diversity too, unlike the more posh metrowest districts. Northborough, given current interest rates, is still obtainable by the truly middle middle class.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:45 AM

12,573 posts, read 5,328,083 times
Top-notch School district . 19.4% Asian student body (2020-21) although its much less in the town overall.

https://profiles.doe.mass.edu/profil...orgtypecode=5&

Schools become less diverse racially but perhaps more socioeconomically diverse once student merge with Northboro

https://profiles.doe.mass.edu/profil...orgtypecode=5&
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts