U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 06:00 AM

23,399 posts, read 15,185,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
My bad. You are right. Other than that Andover is great
I’m wondering what a car commute from Andover looks like. It’s not as soul-destroying as the Southeast Expressway. It’s one day per week.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 06:27 AM

554 posts, read 687,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m wondering what a car commute from Andover looks like. It’s not as soul-destroying as the Southeast Expressway. It’s one day per week.
pre covid and assuming you were close to 93, it was likely an hr on a good day but more likely an 1:15 -1:30. You don't really hit traffic until you get to Montvale ave on 93 (forgive me I no longer know the exit #s). From there its a slog of 10mph with the intermittent 20 mph runs and complete standstills.

Right now, its likely still 40 minutes or so. And all of the above assumes you are getting off on Atlantic Ave/Surface Rd. and parking right around there. if you have to go elsewhere in the city add time accordingly. I have been stuck on Surface Road between the Haymarket Garage and State St for 30 minutes on multiple occasions.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:34 AM

3,808 posts, read 2,756,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
One day a week from Andover should be tolerable, especially if hours are somewhat flexible.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:41 AM

4 posts, read 2,420 times
Default Sudbury/Lynnfield

Chiming in here to give opinions of Lynnfield and Sudbury, the former of which we lived in for 10 years before moving last summer to Sudbury.

Both are wonderful towns in their own regard, different in some ways, not so much in others. We have an elementary school age daughter and both my husband and I now work in the Metrowest area (hence the move to Sudbury). One thing not mentioned about these towns is whether the OP is considering any particular political lean of the towns in their search. Lynnfield is more conservative overall, but has a very active liberal group, mainly comprised of families who have moved in the last few years, and are making the town more purple than red. That said, Sudbury is pretty much the polar opposite in terms of lean and is much more liberal politically overall. As expected, attitudes in both towns seem to largely reflect their overall political leanings.

Sudbury is more diverse both racially and economically, but has a higher per-capita income. Both towns have a mix of white collar/blue collar workers, but are predominantly college educated, white collar towns. Both place a high value on education. The schools are highly ranked in both and our experiences in the schools (even while taking COVID into account) have been similar. Both towns are on septic.

Both have town centers (though more like town green with town hall and small locally owned shops nearby vs. main street/downtown strip). Lynnfield across the town itself uniformly feels more suburban with smaller 1/4-1/2 acre lots with well kept homes with a lot of pride of ownership. Sudbury has pockets of neighborhoods, also with mostly well kept homes if not somewhat less pristinely manicured lots (though this can be found here too), and is more semi-rural. Lot size in most neighborhoods in Sudbury (sans the Willis Lake neighborhood which is grandfathered in) are a minimum of 1 acre, but in our experience and within our neighborhood, many of those lots are wooded, so you can conceivably have a decent amount of land and a good size yard, and still be comfortably near your neighbors. Our daughter can bike/walk anywhere throughout the neighborhood and this is not uncommon in town if you are within a neighborhood. This was true for us in Lynnfield too. Some neighborhoods in Sudbury are smaller than others and most all end in a cul-de-sac or dead end street. I'd argue in both towns, you can be close to everything you need in terms of shopping, either within the town itself and/or in neighboring towns nearby. Neither has big box stores-- you will need to go to the next town over for Target, etc. but that said, in Sudbury, we are still only 10 minutes away from one Target/Home Depot in Marlborough and 20 from another along with mall, etc. in bordering Natick. The same was true for us in Lynnfield with nearby towns. Sudbury has several locally owned restaurants and shops in different areas of town whereas in Lynnfield, they are mainly concentrated at Marketstreet, a new outdoor mall/shopping development there. For groceries, there is a Whole Foods in both, though in Lynnfield it is the only grocery store. In Sudbury, it is one of two. Both towns have Trader Joes and other larger chain grocery stores within a 10 min drive.

We have had no difficulties meeting neighbors or people, even during COVID, in either town and it would pain us to ever leave here as much as it did for us to leave our friends and neighbors in Lynnfield. Most of the friends we have made in both towns have been through school activities, sports, volunteering, etc. Both towns are definitively family towns, as in there is a lot of competition for spots in school activities, camps, after school programs, etc. (Sudbury more so than Lynnfield). Taxes and utilities are higher in Sudbury. Neither town has a train station, but you can drive to stations in nearby towns in 15-20 minutes depending on where you are in town. Highway access is closer in Lynnfield (as little as 5 min away) vs. 20 minutes minimum in Sudbury. Sudbury is a very outdoors focused town in that there are many opportunities for hiking/biking and other outdoor activities and many of the activities here reflect that. Sudbury seems to have more new families than Lynnfield who come from a greater variety of states/countries and it seems to be relatively easy for new families to acclimate here.

In this market, I think the biggest challenge is going to be to find a newer home for 800-1million. Inventory in both towns is extremely limited and most all homes have become bidding wars and are routinely going for 50K-300K over asking, so definitely factor that in when you are looking at listings online. Neither town (generally true for a lot of New England) has a lot of new construction or even within the last 20 years in that price range, but that said many of the older homes in both towns in that price range are tastefully updated to a large extent. In that price range, you will find more split levels/raised ranches in Lynnfield than colonials, while in Sudbury, there tend to be more colonials overall.

Best of luck to you OP! Hopefully this helps. It's such a hard decision to move from far away knowing how much information online is limited. We felt that last year and we have lived in MA for many years so you are definitely not in an enviable position.

Last edited by LP743; 06-11-2021 at 12:52 AM..

Old 06-11-2021, 09:36 AM

7,740 posts, read 6,979,055 times
Sudbury diverse economically and racially? Um no

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudbury,_Massachusetts

"The racial makeup of the town was 94.23% Caucasian, 0.80% African American, 0.03% Native American, 3.72% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.23% from other races, and 0.96% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.24% of the population."

"The median income for a household in the town was $151,041, and the median income for a family was $222,008. Males had a median income of $148,593 versus $47,500 for females. The per capita income for the town was $75,865. About 2.1% of families and 2.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.9% of those under age 18 and 4.8% of those age 65 or over."

Lynnfield I saw some FU money. Columns on houses that were made to impress rather than actually be structurally sound.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:09 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,547,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

"The racial makeup of the town was 94.23% Caucasian, 0.80% African American, 0.03% Native American, 3.72% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.23% from other races, and 0.96% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.24% of the population."
That is 21 year old info from what I can tell. Nobody is going to mistake it for Brockton, but a lot has changed in the region since the year 2000.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:43 AM

6,332 posts, read 4,875,793 times
Quote:

To be fair, the town is down to 82.5% non-Hispanic white as of 2019: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/su...ymassachusetts

Still not very diverse, but not as bad as you make it out to be (we’re those 2010 numbers?).

Old 06-12-2021, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 2,420 times
Quote:

"The median income for a household in the town was $151,041, and the median income for a family was $222,008. Males had a median income of $148,593 versus $47,500 for females. The per capita income for the town was $75,865. About 2.1% of families and 2.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.9% of those under age 18 and 4.8% of those age 65 or over."

Lynnfield I saw some FU money. Columns on houses that were made to impress rather than actually be structurally sound.
Respectfully, mdovell, as others have pointed out, these numbers above are not at all current data. Regardless, in my original statement, I was only comparing Lynnfield vs. Sudbury in that respect, not diversity in general. It is all relative. Sudbury is not Cambridge, but it has become more diverse in recent years than Lynnfield or some of the other towns on the OP's list.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:24 AM

3,542 posts, read 6,814,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP743 View Post
Respectfully, mdovell, as others have pointed out, these numbers above are not at all current data. Regardless, in my original statement, I was only comparing Lynnfield vs. Sudbury in that respect, not diversity in general. It is all relative. Sudbury is not Cambridge, but it has become more diverse in recent years than Lynnfield or some of the other towns on the OP's list.

Except for mdovell, we all knew what you meant.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:37 AM

19 posts, read 20,999 times
Good idea to check the tax rate in each town as well. Would also recommend looking up the towns online and seeing what their YOY budget looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts