Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 03:44 PM

12,559 posts, read 9,644,236 times

Advertisements

It's been stalled by federal red tape for a couple of years now, but Vineyard Wind finally received full regulatory approval today. It will be the first major offshore wind turbine installation built in the US. There are a number of other major offshore wind projects planned for the northeast, and successful regulatory approval for this one should also provide a model for those to come.

https://electrek.co/2021/05/11/egeb-...pproved-today/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 03:56 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,813,458 times
Finally, an energy project in New England that the NIMBYS didn't kill. Hopefully the Biden admin forces more of these and the HVDC projects that can help tie big wind/hydro etc. to load centers.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:57 PM

349 posts, read 322,047 times
Good move on the Biden administration and cutting through the red tape. Massachusetts produces far less electricity than consumed. The wind project has a nice investment rate of return to top it off.

Old 05-11-2021, 04:03 PM

24,569 posts, read 18,323,679 times
I wonder when I’ll start seeing activity in New Bedford? The fish market I use is the next lot south from the Marine Commerce Terminal they built for the project. That’s been really quiet for several years.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Finally, an energy project in New England that the NIMBYS didn't kill. Hopefully the Biden admin forces more of these and the HVDC projects that can help tie big wind/hydro etc. to load centers.
There will be a Phase II for Vineyard Wind, plus off Mass we already have Mayflower Wind in the planning stages, which has the leases and the commercial company(s) looking to develop the site, and I think it is well along in planning and cued up for regulatory submission before long... that is supposed to provide cheaper power than Vineyard Wind (technology keeps improving).
https://mayflowerwind.com/

...and I believe there are also sites off the coast of Long Island and New Jersey that have projects that are in a similar stage of development as Mayflower Wind. So while today's announcement marks the first major offshore wind farm approval for the US, within the next few years, we may have 2-3 more approved. Both for applicants and for regulators, I think the precedent of Vineyard Wind will make things easier going forward.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 05-11-2021 at 06:10 PM..

Old 05-11-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I wonder when I’ll start seeing activity in New Bedford? The fish market I use is the next lot south from the Marine Commerce Terminal they built for the project. That’s been really quiet for several years.
You live nearby there? I haven't see a project roadmap, but I did read earlier that construction is supposed to start in 2022 and operation in 2023.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:40 AM

24,569 posts, read 18,323,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
You live nearby there? I haven't see a project roadmap, but I did read earlier that construction is supposed to start in 2022 and operation in 2023.
3.4 miles according to Google Maps. It would be good to add some jobs to the economic wasteland.

Anything to ease the load on the natural gas pipelines. We all pay dearly for that with the highest electricity rates in the lower 48. HydroQuebec and wind should really help if they both happen. I was surprised to read in the aftermath of the Texas freeze mess that wind is now cheaper than natural gas in Texas. It should be even more advantageous here with the pipeline surcharges.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:36 AM

604 posts, read 564,001 times
Would love to see our electric costs fall. Mass has some of the most expensive electricity in the country.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:55 AM

12,920 posts, read 22,086,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I was just at the Fisherman's Market on Sunday ($14/lb for lobster was a tough pill to swallow, but... Mother's Day). It'll be fascinating to see the activity there (and the Hurricane Barrier should also provide a good vantage point).

Old 05-12-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Would love to see our electric costs fall. Mass has some of the most expensive electricity in the country.
The first project considered - Cape Wind, which was eventually cancelled, would have increased electricity costs to consumers, but Vineyard Wind is supposed to come in a little below market rates and Mayflower Wind below that. They keep improving the efficiency and the maintenance schedule on these turbines, which improves their return and lowers operating costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: