Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 04:04 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckbetween View Post
We’re visiting Westford and really like it - feels like more commerce and restaurant selection, so a bit more comfortable coming from Los Angeles. Also still suburban and very family friendly.

I have what I expect will be a rare commute - 2-4 x per month max to nearby South Station. At rush hour, how bad would it be? I’m not trusting Google maps estimates of 1 hr, since if I went there right now mid-day Saturday it would take 50 minutes. I’d prefer a train option but from up north that’s driving, then north station then whatever mess will get me to south station. Might just bite the bullet and drive and pay for parking.

Westford is right next to Littleton, which has the purple line commuter train. Take it into Porter Square in Cambridge, and then the red line subway to South Station. That's sure what I'd do, not because of the cost of parking, but the congestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 04:26 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Westford is right next to Littleton, which has the purple line commuter train. Take it into Porter Square in Cambridge, and then the red line subway to South Station. That's sure what I'd do, not because of the cost of parking, but the congestion.
Yeah. Still though, without the Express, it's at least an hour+ on the train and subway; not even including the time getting to the Littleton CR stop and transferring at Porter to the Red Line.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:58 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckbetween View Post
We’re visiting Westford and really like it - feels like more commerce and restaurant selection, so a bit more comfortable coming from Los Angeles. Also still suburban and very family friendly.

I have what I expect will be a rare commute - 2-4 x per month max to nearby South Station. At rush hour, how bad would it be? I’m not trusting Google maps estimates of 1 hr, since if I went there right now mid-day Saturday it would take 50 minutes. I’d prefer a train option but from up north that’s driving, then north station then whatever mess will get me to south station. Might just bite the bullet and drive and pay for parking.
I’d say a majority of people in Westford take the train from Lowell or drive on the rare occasion they need to be in the city. Lowell to North Station is 45 minute straight shot. Folks in Eastern Westford neighborhoods can get to the Lowell train in 15 minutes.

If you’re OK buying a 90s build, the general Eastern Westford (Chamerblain/Main Street) area is quite nice. You can expect something like this: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M32618-35134

Westford, much like Acton, has a lot of telecommuters or weekly travelers, along with a lot of folks that work along 95 and 495.

Newer or larger homes in Westford generally fall between $1M - $1.4M. Some larger houses/neighborhoods in specific Westford Center/East/Southern neighborhoods will be priced towards $2M.. But few and far between. So you have a nice amount of stock well within reach.

It’s a great town.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 2,933 times
Hi, Wayland mom posting again. We looked in Westford for a long time. The demographics data shows high percentage of Asians but it has a very conservative vibe. I don't know if it was the neighborhood we went to visit for an open house but I did not feel like it was "home" to us. We were looking in the $850k price point a handful of years ago, which is now the $1 - $1.2 price point.

Go to Gene's Flat Noodle Cafe. It has delicious hand pulled noodles.

Old 07-25-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I’d say a majority of people in Westford take the train from Lowell or drive on the rare occasion they need to be in the city. Lowell to North Station is 45 minute straight shot. Folks in Eastern Westford neighborhoods can get to the Lowell train in 15 minutes.
Problem is getting to South Station from North Station. You either have to double transfer on the subway or take the 4 bus. Neither of which sounds very appealing.

Old 07-25-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenlady888 View Post
Hi, Wayland mom posting again. We looked in Westford for a long time. The demographics data shows high percentage of Asians but it has a very conservative vibe. I don't know if it was the neighborhood we went to visit for an open house but I did not feel like it was "home" to us. We were looking in the $850k price point a handful of years ago, which is now the $1 - $1.2 price point.

Go to Gene's Flat Noodle Cafe. It has delicious hand pulled noodles.
To categorize Westford as very conservative, or majority conservative, would be quite inaccurate.

Genes is excellent!

Old 07-25-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Problem is getting to South Station from North Station. You either have to double transfer on the subway or take the 4 bus. Neither of which sounds very appealing.
Absolutely true.

But I was responded directly to a post about folks from Westford taking a Littleton train.

The indirect train for those few trips per month will be a necessary consequence if OP is looking anywhere north or northwest.

Old 07-25-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
To categorize Westford as very conservative, or majority conservative, would be quite inaccurate.
Maybe OP is thinking of Chelmsford.

Old 07-25-2021, 01:35 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I am Chinese and lived in MA for most of my life. I've lived in Sudbury, Concord, Cambridge and Newton... and imo no one in New England cares about biracial couples. An even on my own, I have always felt accepted anywhere I've been all over the US. And for the last 8 years, I've lived in extremely white majority NH with my white husband, and have never experienced any aloofness, let alone hostility. Even with COVID originating in China.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Maybe OP is thinking of Chelmsford.
Could be. Chelmsford is more moderate than towns west and southwest like Westford or Acton, through still heavy democratic.

A larger percentage of Chelmsford is middle-working class, so I’d assume there is a modern tie there.

Funny how little Chelmsford is talked about on this forum. Plenty of nice areas that offer large homes and acreage. Schools always seem to rank pretty well. Easy commute to Burlington/Waltham. A good bit easier on the eyes than neighboring towns like Billerica and Tewksbury. I guess in the case of Billerica, which has seen a sharper increase in demand and home values, being a few miles closer pays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts