Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 04:01 PM

16 posts, read 25,894 times

Advertisements

Last year, I changed my plans and decided to visit coastal South Carolina instead of Western MA. Several people I know who live/have relatives there told me I'd be unwelcome in western MA because I supported Trump.

Although I'm not a republican or a democrate, I had been a lifetime liberal democrate until recently. Socially I'm very Liberal. I'm an artist and definitely dont follow the beaten path.

My question is this, was this advice correct? Would I have run into trouble with MA folk?... If they found that:

I think CNN is all lies, that Identity politics is racist/sexist and I abhor racism/sexism? That I abhor hypocrisy regardless if it's a virtue signaling neo liberal or a fake Christian paragon. That the misery in our society is mostly the result of compromised morals and principles and if we got back on track we'd be a brilliant nation.

Are people really comfortable with being a place people are afraid to go?
I'm a multi ethnic person. I grew up with real racism in upstate NY while also being taught the stereotype of the South and was afraid to go there. But in reality, I've never had a problem in the south. These days I'm afraid of the north. Thats extremely sad. I just wanted you all to know this.
Thank you for reading this post.

Old 07-16-2021, 04:06 PM

23,776 posts, read 18,899,213 times
All that, and you might even run into some internet trolls. But it really is as horrible as you say, I definitely say stay away!

Old 07-16-2021, 08:19 PM

26,664 posts, read 28,786,684 times
If your post is serious, I'd say stay away from most of WMass. You get college towns that are crazy liberal toward the ludicrous progressive end. I don't agree with a lot of it. I'm a moderate Democrat.

If you truly support Trump and think CNN is lies (and Fox is news) you're welcome to visit but don't mention your beliefs. No one's going to be mean to you but you won't find common ground. If you don't think the South is racist, then go there. My sister lives in the South and went through culture shock at the racial hatred, people using the N word, the stupid phony "Christians" who do nothing but hate people. It was hard even finding friends. And the realtor would tell her she wouldn't want to live in certain neighborhoods because there were black people.

I'd take the silly, overly progressive WMass people over Trump types any day. We don't go for liars, traitors, bullies, name callers, and nastiness.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If your post is serious, I'd say stay away from most of WMass. You get college towns that are crazy liberal toward the ludicrous progressive end. I don't agree with a lot of it. I'm a moderate Democrat.

If you truly support Trump and think CNN is lies (and Fox is news) you're welcome to visit but don't mention your beliefs. No one's going to be mean to you but you won't find common ground. If you don't think the South is racist, then go there. My sister lives in the South and went through culture shock at the racial hatred, people using the N word, the stupid phony "Christians" who do nothing but hate people. It was hard even finding friends. And the realtor would tell her she wouldn't want to live in certain neighborhoods because there were black people.

I'd take the silly, overly progressive WMass people over Trump types any day. We don't go for liars, traitors, bullies, name callers, and nastiness.

I can totally see somebody being harassed if they ride through Amherst or Northampton flying a Trump 2020 flag. But thing is, why in the WORLD would somebody be doing THAT of ALL THINGS if they are visiting the area on vacation? Posts like these just blow the mind. And more often than not, it's a "one post wonder".

But even in lefty Western Mass., there are still plenty of Trump supporters who this supposed person would surely find common ground with. Trump even (gasp) won a few towns out there! The tendency to label everything "red" or "blue" is one of immaturity and intellectual laziness. We are a society of varying shades of purple.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:51 PM

1,063 posts, read 706,101 times
I'm sure if youre flashing Trump flags in Western Mass you'll get some looks, but I agree with the responses above...why would you? You're on vacation. Hell, I voted for Bernie but you wouldn't see me waving a flag with his face on in it in Berkley, Cambridge or even the deep South.

Once you start putting your political views on full display, you're just opening yourself up for a response.

Forget it. Come to Mass, enjoy your vacation and leave the politics at home. And if you happen find yourself in a conversation with someone about politics, then be civil. If they're not civil, **** em and move on.

It's a vacation, not a propaganda tour.

Last edited by MrDee12345; 07-16-2021 at 11:13 PM..

Old 07-17-2021, 03:56 AM

12,609 posts, read 9,735,810 times
Also agree that if you don't want to be engaged in debate (and argument) by random people with opposing beliefs, then don't wear shirts, hats, or use bumper stickers and flags pushing your political beliefs. I've got opinions, but I don't wear them on my sleeve. I think most of the people that do that are kind of crusaders or zealots, and most of the people that will then engage them to argue are the same for the opposite side - the odds of productive, civil discussion, exchange of ideas, actual listening and potential learning are not high - probably just an exchange of trash talk and insults.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:55 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,367,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I can totally see somebody being harassed if they ride through Amherst or Northampton flying a Trump 2020 flag. But thing is, why in the WORLD would somebody be doing THAT of ALL THINGS if they are visiting the area on vacation? Posts like these just blow the mind. And more often than not, it's a "one post wonder".

But even in lefty Western Mass., there are still plenty of Trump supporters who this supposed person would surely find common ground with. Trump even (gasp) won a few towns out there! The tendency to label everything "red" or "blue" is one of immaturity and intellectual laziness. We are a society of varying shades of purple.

This

Leave the red hat at home. Don't discuss politics. Generally, people are so burned out on politics and COVID-19 restrictions that it doesn't come up at all.

Old 07-17-2021, 09:15 AM

16 posts, read 25,894 times
Thanks for your views and insights. I was thinking of posting this in S
Carolina to see what people there might think about my expiriences. Not sure why people with different view means troll btw. I never assume troll unless the content of the words is empty yet imparts negative emotions (fear, anger) Sometimes trolls can be agreeing with you.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeBloosm View Post
Thanks for your views and insights. I was thinking of posting this in S
Carolina to see what people there might think about my expiriences. Not sure why people with different view means troll btw. I never assume troll unless the content of the words is empty yet imparts negative emotions (fear, anger) Sometimes trolls can be agreeing with you.

What exactly are your fears dude? That superhuman cannibals hiding in the hills, are going to scan your frontal lobe for your voting history and have you fully "disappear" the next day? I believe "Wrong Turn" is fiction. Between your outrageous assertions and the fact that it was your very first post on City-Data, you're honestly surprised that people are having a hard time taking you seriously?

And you then posted in the Pittsfield thread, indicating that you grew up nearby and are "quite" familiar with that area (even praising it in that case).

And by the way, where is "Stockton, Massachusetts"? Do you mean Stockbridge???

Old 07-17-2021, 11:59 AM

26,664 posts, read 28,786,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
What exactly are your fears dude? That superhuman cannibals hiding in the hills, are going to scan your frontal lobe for your voting history and have you fully "disappear" the next day? I believe "Wrong Turn" is fiction. Between your outrageous assertions and the fact that it was your very first post on City-Data, you're honestly surprised that people are having a hard time taking you seriously?

And you then posted in the Pittsfield thread, indicating that you grew up nearby and are "quite" familiar with that area (even praising it in that case).

And by the way, where is "Stockton, Massachusetts"? Do you mean Stockbridge???
I thought the poster probably meant Stockton NC but when I looked it up, there isn't one. If they meant Stockbridge, then they're talking about the Berkshires of western MA, not the smaller area generally known as WMass and includes Northampton and Amherst. If they meant the Berkshires, they would have better luck with their Trumpism out there. It's much more rural and run down except for the summer cultural towns like Stockbridge. There are mountains to climb out there but not too much else except for Tanglewood in summer and all the expensive summer restaurants and shops. Depends upon what he's talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts