Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:46 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
9. yes, NYC for $15 by bus. Montreal, PVD, Philly, not too far.
What is PVD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 10:16 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
you also could check out new hampshire-the sea coast-no income tax or sales tax!
not too far from Bean Town-then you have water, and snow!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
No sales tax in NH, but if you're working in Mass (I think the OP wanted to commute to Boston) you'll be paying a much higher property tax PLUS Mass income tax of 5.3 percent. Plus depending on your political standing, you may prefer one over the other. NH, without an income or sales tax, doesn't typically provide the level of services that people in Mass are used to (which causes many transplants a certain amount of grief and complaining ("Whaddaya mean I gotta put the trash in my car and bring it to the dump???" "Where's the street lights??" "$6000 property tax bill??" "Whaddayamean, there's no public kindergarden??" and so then the quest begins to turn NH into MassachusettsNorth...)

Please ask LOTS of questions before deciding to live in NH--it's just not for everybody. We like it like this (small government, less services, etc) and don't really need more people heading here for "cheaper housing and a better life" if they are just going to vote up the same services and expenses that they are running from...

Note: I don't want to turn this into a political piece, but just want to caution the OP that the two state are VERY different, as it should be

Note to TheWereRabbit: I think PVD refers to Providence

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
you also could check out new hampshire-the sea coast-no income tax or sales tax!
not too far from Bean Town-then you have water, and snow!

Old 06-01-2008, 09:37 PM

22 posts, read 59,614 times
If you like the beach, water, and the ocean, check out Hull. It is that spit of land off Hingham south of Boston. The whole southeast side is one long beach. All the rest is rocky. There are lots of houses on or near the beach. Anywhere north of Cape Cod the water is cccold. There is a surfing crowd there, but that is all I know. You can take a commuter boat from Hull to Boston. Cliffs are in Plymouth, but beware of houses on a cliff, they are being erroded into Cape Cod Bay. Marshfield is another affordable beach community. For good skiing head north on i93. Massachusetts ski areas are not worth the drive unless you already live nearby. There is skiing at the Blue Hills Reservation, if there is snow.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:40 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
Thanks again for the responses! My wife and I visited Boston a few weeks ago. The town definately seems very expensive with a sort of country-club exclusivity everywhere. People were nice, we found some great pubs, and had a good time overall.

On a rainy day, we had the chance to drive up to Gloucester, which seems perfect for us, except for the long rail commute (1 hr) and the strange train times (Too early to surf or too late to get to work by some reasonable hour). We saw some nice affordable houses about halfway between some surf spots and the commuter rail stop. How is the commute, driving from Gloucester into Boston? Is it solid traffic the whole way? Maybe I could surf in the morning and drive in when the waves are good, and then commute by rail the rest of the time.

Guess I don't have too many more questions. The Boston area seems like a great place to live, though we may end up going back to California, depending on the job situation.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:11 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
What is PVD?
The great metropole of Providence

Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
How is the commute, driving from Gloucester into Boston? Is it solid traffic the whole way?
Yes, it's bad.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:59 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,428,446 times
I like the fact that this thread started 2 years ago and the OP just made an update.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
I like the fact that this thread started 2 years ago and the OP just made an update.
Interesting. I'd seen posts with "05-27" and missed the "2008" part.

So, OP, where have you been living for the last 2 years?

Old 06-02-2010, 01:04 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
Indiana. No matter how bad MA is, it can't be worse than IN. We moved here for *cheap *good post-grad education but the lifestyle is driving us nuts. We recognize that it's fine for the people who live here, but not for us, so we need to move.

We just recently had a chance to tour the East Coast. We had planned to do it prior to a year-long around-the-world backpacking trip, but we ran out of time and postponed it until a few weeks ago. Thus the reason I'm dredging this thread up after 2 years.

We're now 1 year from graduating and planning to get out of the Midwest as fast as possible. Among others, we're considering the Boston-NYC-DC region or the San Fran-LA-San Diego region where we previously lived.

We saw some nice-looking 2-3BR 1-2BA single family houses in Gloucester which were within our price range and about 1 mile from both the beach (one way) and the rail station (in the other direction).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts