Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:55 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Indiana. No matter how bad MA is, it can't be worse than IN. We moved here for *cheap *good post-grad education but the lifestyle is driving us nuts. We recognize that it's fine for the people who live here, but not for us, so we need to move.
My sympathies. I'm not much of a fan of Indiana, though there are good universities there and it is cheap. Cheap for a reason.

There is not really any beach near DC at all. The nearest is several hours away.

NYC has beaches closer than that, on Long Island and in New Jersey, but most of the decent ones are not that close either. The closest by train may be Long Beach, LI, but it's still close to an hour from Manhattan's Penn Station. There are closer beaches in Queens (Rockaways) and Coney Island, but they are a LONG subway ride from the city as well, and it may actually take longer to get there by train.

The NYC area is also far more expensive, generally speaking, than the outskirts of Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
I've only read about NE surfing, never paddled out north of Virginia Beach, but I've heard it can get good from winter storms (though brain-freezingly cold).

Glad to hear that Boston is a fun city! Thanks for the names of those other towns, I'll check them out![/quote]

The best surfing in New England is in Rhode Ilsand. Narragansett Pier is similar to VB. Point Judith is more like Hatteras, but no beach. Hampton Beach in New Hampshire is also a surfing area, but the waves are not consistent. Ocean storms provide the best surf no matter what time of year. You can get 10-15 ft in Rhode Island. Cold water means wearing a wet suit. The Rhode Island beaches are about a 60-80 minute drive from the area south of Boston.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
I'm really looking for a place where I can surf before or after work on a daily (more like once or twice a week in reality) basis. I used to live in Ventura and work in the SFV. I would get up at 6, bike 5 minutes down to C-street and surf until 8, then drive 30 minutes to work. As an unlivable pipe dream, I'd really love to be able to surf in the morning and take a metro in to work (bus, rail, ferry, or subway) rather than driving.

I know DC doesn't have beaches, but I was thinking NJ or Delaware. Long beach would work, or places around Far Rockaway, but I think the prices for housing would be astronomical. There are some jobs for me on Long Island, but the barrier islands would prevent me from doing the morning surf thing.

I'll keep the RI advice in mind and check those areas for work. Aren't the coastal towns all hyper-expensive, though?

I like that skiing is only 2-4 hours from Boston. In LA, there were bad, fair, and world-class ski places 2, 6 and 8 hours away, respectively.
Several years ago, when I was a Central Florida surfer, I was pretty impressed with the OBX. Nice to hear there are spots similar up north. No worries about wetsuits, I'm used to 2 to 5 mils of neoprene, booties, and a hood. Always a hood. My ears are starting to close up from too much exposure to cold water and air. Surfing with snow on the ground will be a switch, as will gloves.

Last edited by sponger42; 06-02-2010 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: More Info.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:06 AM

1 posts, read 564 times
Hello Nice to meet you!
This last forum chat was very interesting although unfortunately quite far back!
I was wondering how did it turn out? How did the situation evolve and is nowadays?
I am about to move to Boston and I am looking for a house with garden, dog friendly, to rent, in a sea side neighborhood/ small city in the Boston coast area, that would allow me to go for work into town everyday by train, on an average max 30 minutes train trip, to get to Fenway Park area. Would any of you please have any suggestions to share, in order to find this location?
Thank you for your help!
Best wishes
Angijazz

Old 06-14-2017, 05:35 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
There is a bit of a surfing scene 1.5 hours south of Boston in RI. It is mainly in the towns of Newport/Middletown and Narragansett/S Kingstown.

They surf year round wearing wetsuits in the cold months. The winter storms do kick up some massive swells. Offshore tropical storms and hurricanes far out to sea also produce some large waves in late August through October.

http://www.thesurfingsite.com/Surf-S...ewEngland.html

Old 06-14-2017, 09:15 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Gloucester, maybe Rockport, all day all night.

And yeah, good riddance to Indiana. Hell hole. Lived their twice. Worst years of my life.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:00 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I'll keep the RI advice in mind and check those areas for work. Aren't the coastal towns all hyper-expensive, though?

I like that skiing is only 2-4 hours from Boston. In LA, there were bad, fair, and world-class ski places 2, 6 and 8 hours away, respectively.
Real estate prices are 100% tied to the health of the local economy. Rhode Island struggles. Your $350K will buy a pretty nice house that would be $750K commutable to the metro Boston job market. You can surf after work in Rhode Island but most people work around Providence. Surfing is Newport and the western beaches from Point Judith to the Connecticut line.

You're not going to see reliable California surf. You're probably going to want to supplement that with windsurfing, a Hobie, or a small trailerable monohull.

From the Bunker Hill Bridge on I-93 northbound, Loon/Waterville/Cannon are 2 hours. Killington is 2 hours 40 minutes. Sunday River is 10 minutes farther. The Vermont microclimate from Killington northwards has the most natural snow. The farther north you go, the more snow and the less crowds. I know Jay Peak every-weekenders. That's at the Canadian border.

In my personal LA experience, I'd fly to Salt Lake rather than drive to Mammoth. To set your expectations, New England skiing is more like Big Bear. Anything drivable from a city as a day trip is nuts on weekends. The difference is mostly that you don't have to gain 6,500 feet of vertical to find snow. The highest point in New England is only 6,200 feet. With the high winds, there isn't much skiing on peaks above 4,000 feet. Most ski towns are at 1,000 to 2,500 foot elevation. The other difference is there's no such thing as a chain restriction and nobody has chains.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:02 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
This thread is nine years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts