Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2021, 03:30 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,224,988 times

Advertisements

Hmm...supposedly.

It was always supposed to return after the building renovation began a few years ago. I had heard such news maybe almost a year ago? Then, nothing happened.

At least the newer location has remained open in the pandemic, but only Wednesday to Sunday, until 11 pm. It's a nice and modern shop but to me lacks the personality of the original.

Even after 10 pm on a Friday in Decem-brrrr, there were between 15 to 22 customers during my brief stay. Soonafter, maybe only half a dozen but better than most competitors, I'm sure. But this great turnout is indeed the rule, not the exception whenever I'm there.

An employee told me it would return to the original building in Central Square now that renovation is complete. It's been occupied now for many months, but no sign of Toscanini's yet. But how? I don't see an empty space never mind its original corner spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 06:03 AM

1,903 posts, read 1,418,322 times
I think they’re just opening a small scoop stand in the lobby of the new hotel. The main location is now the one on First Street. They forced several great businesses out for that hotel. Central Square continues to turn into a gentrified shopping mail following in Harvard Squares footsteps.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:36 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,093,694 times
When I first met my wife they had a location in Harvard Square too. She lived on Ware St so it was a quick walk over there and we used to love going for the micro-Sundaes. Haven't been there in forever though.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
When I first met my wife they had a location in Harvard Square too. She lived on Ware St so it was a quick walk over there and we used to love going for the micro-Sundaes. Haven't been there in forever though.
Hmmm...I think I recall that location...maybe near Harvard Bookstore? Maybe it's a JP Licks now if I recall?

Remember when the New York Times about 20 years ago or so declared it "The World's Best Ice Cream"? The shop window even had a sticker for many years after displaying that quote. But it never mentioned which year, and I don't think the
First Street location displays that at all. The young staff there likely doesn't even know about the NYT quote!

Not even sure if the NYT declares an annual ice cream winner.

Of course, I've met a person or two over the years who's scoffed at that NYT nomination, saying the ice cream seems okay or even ordinary. Hmmm...Not to me, as I love treating myself there, discovering it in 1982, so it seems part of my DNA by now.

Old 12-14-2021, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I think they’re just opening a small scoop stand in the lobby of the new hotel. The main location is now the one on First Street. They forced several great businesses out for that hotel. Central Square continues to turn into a gentrified shopping mail following in Harvard Squares footsteps.
Wow, disappointing if that's the case. There may simply be a small sign mentioning the "store" inside when it's finally open.

I miss seeing the big stainless steel tubs and electric mixers, and even some cookbooks on display in the streetfront window in the attached room. Never saw anybody actually make ice cream through that part of the store, but probably because I stopped by in the evenings.

If it's a small scoop stand after all, it'll likely close early. I can't imagine the boutique hotel wants lines out the door chatting amongst themselves on those late hot summer nights as happened at the original. I think they closed at 11 pm back then.

Old 12-14-2021, 06:13 AM

I walked by today and it does look like they have a separate entrance location from the hotel and will be using much of their old space. This is better than what had previously been reported. The kitchen will remain at the 1st street location, but the opening sign did say they would still be open until 11, so that is good.

It will be good to have them back in Central. Too bad Cinderella's won't be joining them. I like some of Tosci's flavors and they definitely have the nostalgia factor. Try New City a few doors down in Central for some incredible ice cream though.

Old 12-14-2021, 06:30 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,093,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Hmmm...I think I recall that location...maybe near Harvard Bookstore? Maybe it's a JP Licks now if I recall?

Remember when the New York Times about 20 years ago or so declared it "The World's Best Ice Cream"? The shop window even had a sticker for many years after displaying that quote. But it never mentioned which year, and I don't think the
First Street location displays that at all. The young staff there likely doesn't even know about the NYT quote!

Not even sure if the NYT declares an annual ice cream winner.

Of course, I've met a person or two over the years who's scoffed at that NYT nomination, saying the ice cream seems okay or even ordinary. Hmmm...Not to me, as I love treating myself there, discovering it in 1982, so it seems part of my DNA by now.
I didn't know about the NYT article. I do believe though that the location I'm referring to is now a JP Licks. It's been quite a while since I was last in Harvard Square though. To me, it's kind of sad how commercial the area has become. It's mostly chain stores now. The restaurants are the only reason to go there.

I remember my wife's friend did a blind tasting of a number of local ice cream shops when we went over their house one night. This was probably 15 years ago, but if memory serves Toscanini's got the most votes from our group.

Old 12-14-2021, 06:39 AM

Yes, JP Licks is now in the former HSQ location. Harvard owns the building and they renovated it when Toscaninis closed.

TBH there's not even many good restaurants in Harvard Square any more. Cafe Sushi on the outskirts is very good, but they are take out only since the Covid. Bartley's was reportedly looking for a buyer who would continue the business, but who knows how Covid impacted that. Most of the places in the Square are now mediocre and overpriced (surprise).

Old 12-14-2021, 06:46 PM

943 posts, read 414,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I didn't know about the NYT article. I do believe though that the location I'm referring to is now a JP Licks. It's been quite a while since I was last in Harvard Square though. To me, it's kind of sad how commercial the area has become. It's mostly chain stores now. The restaurants are the only reason to go there.

I remember my wife's friend did a blind tasting of a number of local ice cream shops when we went over their house one night. This was probably 15 years ago, but if memory serves Toscanini's got the most votes from our group.
A blind ice cream tasting sounds like a lot of fun for an activity or party. I've never tried Toscanini's...am a huge Kimball's fan. Must try the First street location when I am in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: